What do you Say? to a DNB

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
O.K. you have a PITA who has seen openings online. So.. ".so sorry, can't accommodate"...Right? What do you say if they go back online to book another date and see rooms still open? Seems this is the sticky bit with online bookings? So what do you say?

Somewhere on here we've talked about this, but it doesn't hurt to hash it out again. Me, I'd go for the truth. 'I'm sorry we cannot accommodate your reservation as the last time you were here you smoked in your room, against our policies and causing distress to the guests in the adjoining room.' (Obvious I have a certain couple in mind, right?!)

If they smoked say I am sorry but you smoked and we are non smoking. In this country it is against the law and we cannot risk you getting us into trouble. What a cheek they have to even try and stay.

O.K. assume they did not break any policies..just annoying and demanding and rude. Maybe you would book them if you needed the business, but say it is prime season and you know you will book up?

O.K. assume they did not break any policies..just annoying and demanding and rude. Maybe you would book them if you needed the business, but say it is prime season and you know you will book up?.
OK, so no 'concrete' reason, just that you're stressed when they're on the premises? (We have guests like this and we just deal with them, including one who stays for a week and doesn't even talk to us. A week! Not a peep!)
However, that is not what you want to know. For the stress-inducing guest: 'I'm thinking about your last stay here and I believe we just could not meet your expectations. Rather than have your vacation be a cause of stress to you, I have a list of other accommodations that will be more to your liking.'
Keep in mind they may profess to loving their stay and maybe they did, but you didn't.

I just say that I'm so sorry but just we have nothing available for them. If there's a motel in the area (that's not a boutique motel but a standard roadside motel), I refer them there. Sometimes I'll refer them to a vacation rental agency if that's suitable.
But I don't give reasons. IMHO, nothing good is going to come from that. Folks who are on the s@#t list are on there generally because they're not reasonable.

I just say that I'm so sorry but just we have nothing available for them. If there's a motel in the area (that's not a boutique motel but a standard roadside motel), I refer them there. Sometimes I'll refer them to a vacation rental agency if that's suitable.
But I don't give reasons. IMHO, nothing good is going to come from that. Folks who are on the s@#t list are on there generally because they're not reasonable..
Please tell me what is a PITA, I am sure I have endured one, just curious as to the acronym.

But I don't give reasons. IMHO, nothing good is going to come from that. Folks who are on the s@#t list are on there generally because they're not reasonable..
Please tell me what is a PITA, I am sure I have endured one, just curious as to the acronym.
PAIN in the A s s

No need to give them any excuse....just say ..sorry I don't have anything available. If they press the issue, just say I haven't had time to update my on line books and leave it at that.

I have had to to do this once. There is one more couple that will get a "no" from me if they try to book again. Both of these are repeats several times over many years.
I go for the truth because I never want to be revisited with another reservation request. My philosophy is get it over and done with and move on.
If there is no specific reason (like smoking), I would just say that it saddens me, but we feel that we don't meet their expectations and can no longer accept their reservations.
No drama, no excuses or reason that that would make them want to send back a response. Also, I would not refer them to a fellow innkeeper if they are so bad that I won't take them.

PAIN in the A s s
Thanks!!!!
wink_smile.gif

No need to give them any excuse....just say ..sorry I don't have anything available. If they press the issue, just say I haven't had time to update my on line books and leave it at that..
catlady said:
No need to give them any excuse....just say ..sorry I don't have anything available. If they press the issue, just say I haven't had time to update my on line books and leave it at that.
That's exactly what I do.

I'm thinking along the lines of what I get a lot from callers, repeats included, 'I'm looking at your availability calendar for such and such date and I see you have 5 rooms open, can you tell me about them...'
There's no telling them the 'inn is full' so rather than contend with them making an online booking over and over, it's better to get it out there in the open right off and help them find another place.

I'm thinking along the lines of what I get a lot from callers, repeats included, 'I'm looking at your availability calendar for such and such date and I see you have 5 rooms open, can you tell me about them...'
There's no telling them the 'inn is full' so rather than contend with them making an online booking over and over, it's better to get it out there in the open right off and help them find another place.
If that works for you, that's great.
As for me, I just don't see any reason to open up that can of worms. It's not going to end well, IMHO. Crazy people are crazy people and more info doesn't make them sane. It just gives them more ammo.
And sure, I've had exactly the scenario you're describing happen.
I still said, sorry we just don't have anything available for you. And just added an, oh my goodness looks like we need to update that availability calendar.
Right before I refer them somewhere that won't mind their PITA behavior.

Back