What do you say?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

April

Reaction score
What do you say to a potential guest who refuses to give you the credit card?
Had a call today about the inquiry for a bedroom starting today for 2 days. He wanted to make the reservation and arrive in 2 hours- no problem I have availability. Gave me his name, phone number and "I do not fee comfortable to give you my credit card over the phone" line. My blood boils - you call me, a legitimate business and I am to entrust you with the key to MY HOUSE and you have a problem to give me your credit card?!!

Some people just don't know what they should and shouldn't be afraid of, so they are afraid of everything. Wonder what the phone thing is. Do they think your line is tapped?
I've had those too. I tell them it's their choice, but I cannot make the reservation without the CC info. They generally then give it to me.

What do you say to a potential guest who refuses to give you the credit card?
"Goodbye"

he has been told 'never give your credit card over the phone!' Of course that applies when someone calls you, not when you call someone to purchase a service or item. LOL

What do you say? "I am terribly sorry but this is a business and we cannot hold a room without a credit card number."

No card, no room. I've had people call, say they're on their way, I wait around and they never show. So you could tell him that you might be there but without a valid credit card you cannot guarantee him a reservation.

I'm sorry I can't hold the room without that info. If you choose to not give it out, that's OK, but I can't guarantee you'll have a room when you arrive.

No credit card? No room at the inn. And we do not take walk-ins.
Seriously, I don't do walk-ins ever. I live in the big city, it's not happening.

Seriously, I don't do walk-ins ever. I live in the big city, it's not happening..
Jon Sable said:
Seriously, I don't do walk-ins ever. I live in the big city, it's not happening.
we do. people often come to town for the day and decide to stay. obviously different than a city situation.

After sitting and waiting for 2 "ill be there in 10 minutes" never again - if you are coming on the day in 10 minutes I will take a card and charge you right then and there. Will not take a walk in for cash only card as security and a bit of back up they are who they say they are.

After sitting and waiting for 2 "ill be there in 10 minutes" never again - if you are coming on the day in 10 minutes I will take a card and charge you right then and there. Will not take a walk in for cash only card as security and a bit of back up they are who they say they are..
Joey Camb said:
After sitting and waiting for 2 "ill be there in 10 minutes" never again - if you are coming on the day in 10 minutes I will take a card and charge you right then and there. Will not take a walk in for cash only card as security and a bit of back up they are who they say they are.
I was reading the reviews of the other inns in town and saw one where the innkeeper offered a discount for cash payment. hmmmm.
guilty pleasure: I skip down to the bad reviews to see what they did wrong. Some are pretty bad.

After sitting and waiting for 2 "ill be there in 10 minutes" never again - if you are coming on the day in 10 minutes I will take a card and charge you right then and there. Will not take a walk in for cash only card as security and a bit of back up they are who they say they are..
Joey Camb said:
I was reading the reviews of the other inns in town and saw one where the innkeeper offered a discount for cash payment. hmmmm.
guilty pleasure: I skip down to the bad reviews to see what they did wrong. Some are pretty bad.
I skip down to the bad reviews as well (and if there was management response), but then I read the best reviews as well. Its interesting how they all balance out. The poor reviews remind me to keep it real, not everything is perfect all of the time.

Joey Camb said:
Been there done that, stupid amateurish mistake in the beginning. Won't be doing it again. Ever. give me the card # and you have the room, not a second before.

LOL: last week, I got a call after midnight, "Do you have a room for Saturday". Me: "Which Saturday?" Him: "Tomorrow" Me: "You mean today."
Only our most expensive room was open. Very strong accent, hard to get even the basics, guest said he was uncomfortable giving cc over the phone. I simply tell him, "show up and we'll take care of it then". DW thinks I am an idiot, we will never see guest. I don't care.
But, he shows, pays, has a good time. Problem was our online rez won't book day-of (our choice in settings) and when he tried to book, it said "call". Which he did, even though very late. Didn't bother me, rarely happens.

Joey Camb said:
I skip down to the bad reviews as well (and if there was management response), but then I read the best reviews as well. Its interesting how they all balance out. The poor reviews remind me to keep it real, not everything is perfect all of the time.
we have a very old tripadviser where the woman marked us down for not having a full lengh mirror in every room - guests after that said they read it and though she was totally "pathetic" for marking us down for that, think it just depends on what the remarks are.

But did he show up in 2 hrs and then provide a card?
We'll occ. hold a room w/o a credit card in this situation, but always take the card live, even w/ a cash payment. But wouldn't hold the room w/o a card if it was our last available.

But did he show up in 2 hrs and then provide a card?
We'll occ. hold a room w/o a credit card in this situation, but always take the card live, even w/ a cash payment. But wouldn't hold the room w/o a card if it was our last available..
no show- as expected

Back