What do you think you're worth?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
If you were to take what you do as an Innkeeper including hours, cooking, cleaning, laundry, reception, indoor and outdoor maintenance ... everything....and take those skills and work for someone else in the B & B world.
What would your salary be? I am curious as to the responses I get to this question. No doubt none of us are earning what we are worth.

This is like figuring out what a mom is worth on the job market...all of us are underpaid given the tasks we do. Even only doing them part time, I would imagine the total package would come in at 6 figures. Yeah, being scullery maid is low paying, but being chef du cuisine is not. Being the front desk clerk is also not a high paying position but being a personal asst pays more. How about marketing director, IT manager, website designer? All good paying jobs. Accountant? Decent pay. We do a lot of low paying tasks everyday but we do a lot more high salary jobs as well.
What could I GET on the open market to do this for someone else at a small inn? Depends on the clientele, I think, but I bet this job doesn't pay more than $30-40k. Being on call 24x7 should be worth something, but it's not. It's better to do it for yourself than someone else. At least I don't have to pay rent out of that money.

Let me put it this way - I could not afford to hire me. This is one of those things you do for the love of doing it and the freedom of being your own boss. THAT is priceless.
There is no way I could tell a boss today that the City Manager wanted me to go to a workshop Friday to get info the City can use. But as my own boss, I can. And will.

Whatever they say a SAHM (stay at home mom) is worth these days, plus a little more...
=)
Kk.

Let me approach this from a different way. In the northeast section of the country, a hired Innkeeper salary is in the 60K range. What about where you are?

I don't think I could quantify an amount. Some of the chores I do are worth $8.00/hour while a some of them are worth $100/hour which is why I have had to learn how to do a lot of the "engineering" kind of stuff (those are NOT the fun chores, either). Actually, this reminds me of a barter I need to go follow up on....I forgot!!! Trading some seat cushion making/sewing for some fiberglass work. Grinding glass in the summer in Miami is one of those NOT fun jobs, but worth a pretty price.

I'm priceless!
angel_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

Well I had someone tell me he was looking for an innkeeper / couple to run his B & B for him and he would pay them $75K . that is for both and they would do it all.

Well I had someone tell me he was looking for an innkeeper / couple to run his B & B for him and he would pay them $75K . that is for both and they would do it all..
Does that include housing? How many rooms? Just curious...not looking for another job
angel_smile.gif

Well I had someone tell me he was looking for an innkeeper / couple to run his B & B for him and he would pay them $75K . that is for both and they would do it all..
Does that include housing? How many rooms? Just curious...not looking for another job
angel_smile.gif

He is just beginning the renovation process so it will be awile:-( 4 guest rooms and there will be a small house for innkeepers to live in.

Must a be luxury joint charging $250-300 per night with 70% annual occupancy, or the owner is in for some surprises about finances and labor to income ratios.
Even if the rooms were $250 per night and it had a 50% annual average occupancy, there's $175,000k in gross revenue give or take. That's like a 40+% labor to income ratio.
To command those kind of nightly rates anywhere, that would have to be a very special and top notch house, service, amenities, etc... those cost money up front to provide, so his fixed costs and expenses will be pretty large also.

catlady said:
Well I had someone tell me he was looking for an innkeeper / couple to run his B & B for him and he would pay them $75K . that is for both and they would do it all.
Someone makes a salary doing this? What the heck were WE thinking...ha ha

catlady said:
Someone makes a salary doing this? What the heck were WE thinking...ha ha
And without any of the risk....
Sign me up!

Let me approach this from a different way. In the northeast section of the country, a hired Innkeeper salary is in the 60K range. What about where you are?.
The Farmers Daughter said:
Let me approach this from a different way. In the northeast section of the country, a hired Innkeeper salary is in the 60K range. What about where you are?
Really? Holy cow, where do I sign? That must be a HUGE inn to support that salary.

Back