What Do You Think?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm thinking less and less of bothering to call this person. He still has not responded and I did a reverse check of his phone number. He's listed, and at a different address than he gave. I checked the other couples last name in the town and they came up not at the address he gave.
I checked a reverse check on the address he gave and he listed the apartment as 1233 North and it did not come up. The general address came up and listed about 50 names (his phone is registered so he should show up) and nothing on him or his friends.
So I went into the US Post office website and looked up the address asking for the zip code and no such puppy. They have the address SOUTH but nothing NORTH.
I may have just missed being scammed, I think. My gut reaction appears to have been correct.
Maybe I should call him just for fun and tell him that the letter I sent with alternate housing suggestions for the timeframe he wanted just came back returned mail!
RIki.
All I can say is just forget about this guy! Keep all your correspondence and IF he shows up and I doubt he will. Give him copies and shut the door:)
catlady said:
All I can say is just forget about this guy! Keep all your correspondence and IF he shows up and I doubt he will. Give him copies and shut the door:)
I doubt he will show up either.
Riki
You've spent way too much time and energy on this one
tounge_smile.gif

Well, I'm thinking less and less of bothering to call this person. He still has not responded and I did a reverse check of his phone number. He's listed, and at a different address than he gave. I checked the other couples last name in the town and they came up not at the address he gave.
I checked a reverse check on the address he gave and he listed the apartment as 1233 North and it did not come up. The general address came up and listed about 50 names (his phone is registered so he should show up) and nothing on him or his friends.
So I went into the US Post office website and looked up the address asking for the zip code and no such puppy. They have the address SOUTH but nothing NORTH.
I may have just missed being scammed, I think. My gut reaction appears to have been correct.
Maybe I should call him just for fun and tell him that the letter I sent with alternate housing suggestions for the timeframe he wanted just came back returned mail!
RIki.
catlady said:
I doubt he will show up either.
Riki
tounge_smile.gif

catlady said:
tounge_smile.gif
Not really I'm sitting here waiting for a meeting with nothing better to do. But I'm new enough to be scared that they'll show up, why I don't know!
Riki

Trust your gut, sounds like you already did. Something fishy there for sure.
We had a family of 3 call 3 months ahead to book a room for a weekend. The man would not give a credit card, so I told him he had to pay the full amount up front. He sent me a money order for about 75% of the total. He called they day they were supposed to be coming in to cancel because his son was sick. He couldn't understand why he would be responsible for the balance. So we lost out because we did not re-rent the room.
I won't do that again, if you don't want to give a valid cc you're not staying here..
I agree. No cc no room here. I am still worried this guy will show up, but he has no confirmation and has not sent in anything. I'm stressed about my TripAdvisor status but I don't think they can do anything if they have not stayed here. I had a problem before with a group who didn't confirm and then gave me a bad review on Yahoo Travel. On that one they don't have to stay here to send in a review, and the business can't respond.
Riki
egoodell said:
I agree. No cc no room here. I am still worried this guy will show up, but he has no confirmation and has not sent in anything. I'm stressed about my TripAdvisor status but I don't think they can do anything if they have not stayed here. I had a problem before with a group who didn't confirm and then gave me a bad review on Yahoo Travel. On that one they don't have to stay here to send in a review, and the business can't respond.
Riki
Keep in mind Samster's bad TA review...that person didn't stay and they still got to write a review and Samster's mgmt response cannot state anything about the guest making it all up.
Bree said:
egoodell said:
Riki
Well they emailed me the reservation request form back on 9/9 which was 11 days ago and so far no check, and no response to my email that the room has been booked. They wanted the whole wing for two couples, and one room has just booked last night so they are out of luck.
We often get people who request reservations for tours and the B&B but never send their email to say they are not coming. But so far as I know he offered to send at first check for 100%, then on 9/9 he said he would send a check for 50%. So I have no confirmation for him. If he writes me up so be it. I can respond that I'm so sorry but we never received your check and emailed you as such. And leave it at that.
It's just a shame if they do write because I JUST moved up to slot #2 and it was hard work to do so here.
Riki
RIki
Keep in mind Samster's bad TA review...that person didn't stay and they still got to write a review and Samster's mgmt response cannot state anything about the guest making it all up.
It is not true that you can't state anything about the guest making it all up in your management respone. In my case, I knew who the guest was and that they were lying and I stated as much in my response and TA allowed it.
SweetiePie said:
It is not true that you can't state anything about the guest making it all up in your management respone. In my case, I knew who the guest was and that they were lying and I stated as much in my response and TA allowed it.
That may have been then, but it doesn't appear to be the case now. Obviously Samster has all the details but she mentioned to me that her mgmt response was rejected twice until she removed anything implying the guest was making it up or had not stayed with her.

We had a family of 3 call 3 months ahead to book a room for a weekend. The man would not give a credit card, so I told him he had to pay the full amount up front. He sent me a money order for about 75% of the total. He called they day they were supposed to be coming in to cancel because his son was sick. He couldn't understand why he would be responsible for the balance. So we lost out because we did not re-rent the room.
I won't do that again, if you don't want to give a valid cc you're not staying here..
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Bree said:
egoodell said:
Riki
Well they emailed me the reservation request form back on 9/9 which was 11 days ago and so far no check, and no response to my email that the room has been booked. They wanted the whole wing for two couples, and one room has just booked last night so they are out of luck.
We often get people who request reservations for tours and the B&B but never send their email to say they are not coming. But so far as I know he offered to send at first check for 100%, then on 9/9 he said he would send a check for 50%. So I have no confirmation for him. If he writes me up so be it. I can respond that I'm so sorry but we never received your check and emailed you as such. And leave it at that.
It's just a shame if they do write because I JUST moved up to slot #2 and it was hard work to do so here.
Riki
RIki
SweetiePie said:
That may have been then, but it doesn't appear to be the case now. Obviously Samster has all the details but she mentioned to me that her mgmt response was rejected twice until she removed anything implying the guest was making it up or had not stayed with her.
Bree said:
That may have been then, but it doesn't appear to be the case now.
I wonder if it's up to the individual who is assigned the complaint ticket? I know (and you do, too) of at least one other innkeeper who was allowed to say the person didn't stay at the B&B. There doesn't seem to be consistency, since Innsiderinfo (I think) knows of some where they have been removed completely, some have been allowed to say the person didn't stay there, and some innkeepers have been made to remove accusatory statements.

Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Bree said:
egoodell said:
Riki
Riki
RIki
SweetiePie said:
Bree said:
That may have been then, but it doesn't appear to be the case now.
I wonder if it's up to the individual who is assigned the complaint ticket? I know (and you do, too) of at least one other innkeeper who was allowed to say the person didn't stay at the B&B. There doesn't seem to be consistency, since Innsiderinfo (I think) knows of some where they have been removed completely, some have been allowed to say the person didn't stay there, and some innkeepers have been made to remove accusatory statements.
I think it DOES depend upon who reviews your complaint. That guest review totally violated their terms of service and that employee said that it didn't. I rewrote my management response and made it much stronger after getting no recourse from the Attorney General's office. Public opinion is changing and more of these things are being challenged and won now.

Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Bree said:
egoodell said:
Riki
Riki
RIki
In my case, they did not allow it. Not once, but twice. And I only stated the facts. I guess you were lucky.

Samster said, "In my case, they did not allow it. Not once, but twice. And I only stated the facts. I guess you were lucky."
I don't feel LUCKY, somewhat VINDICATED maybe; but certainly not LUCKY! I can't explain TA or their reasoning, or lack of it.
If I were you I would go ahead and file a complaint with the Massachusetts Attorney General. She can't ignore this FOREVER. I can't understand why more innkeepers don't do this even after I've tried to publicize it.

Samster said, "In my case, they did not allow it. Not once, but twice. And I only stated the facts. I guess you were lucky."
I don't feel LUCKY, somewhat VINDICATED maybe; but certainly not LUCKY! I can't explain TA or their reasoning, or lack of it.
If I were you I would go ahead and file a complaint with the Massachusetts Attorney General. She can't ignore this FOREVER. I can't understand why more innkeepers don't do this even after I've tried to publicize it..
SweetiePie said:
If I were you I would go ahead and file a complaint with the Massachusetts Attorney General. She can't ignore this FOREVER. I can't understand why more innkeepers don't do this even after I've tried to publicize it.
why Massachusetts ?

If I were you I would go ahead and file a complaint with the Massachusetts Attorney General. She can't ignore this FOREVER. I can't understand why more innkeepers don't do this even after I've tried to publicize it..
SweetiePie said:
why Massachusetts ?
Because that is where TripAdvisor is located. You might also be able to go through your own State Attorney General's office, but ours won't even handle business to business complaints. They expect you to file a civil suit and take them to court.

One of the reasons you are probably so high ranking in the reviews is because you obviously care about your business and customer service.
You also have very strong intution and that is great. If you have made your policy clear and have communicated to the best of your ability with a prospective client then that is all you can do.
You are not meant to serve everyone, and that is a good thing...:)

One of the reasons you are probably so high ranking in the reviews is because you obviously care about your business and customer service.
You also have very strong intution and that is great. If you have made your policy clear and have communicated to the best of your ability with a prospective client then that is all you can do.
You are not meant to serve everyone, and that is a good thing...:).
girlbythesea said:
You are not meant to serve everyone, and that is a good thing...:)
Thank you for your kind comments. I just worry about people not listening and showing up when the rooms are booked. You're right. He has never to this date - 9/29 sent the deposit check so there is no way he could think he has a booking. I strongly fee like this was trying to set me up for a scam possibly - send the check and then cancel and ask for the refund, or somebody just playing around. Especially since he gave me a bogus address - and his was so easily found on the web using his phone number.
RIki

either a scam or he was trying to hold onto rooms in a couple different places until they all chose where they wanted to stay.

either a scam or he was trying to hold onto rooms in a couple different places until they all chose where they wanted to stay..
seashanty said:
either a scam or he was trying to hold onto rooms in a couple different places until they all chose where they wanted to stay.
That's another possibility that I didn't think of, Seashanty! I wish them well where they are staying! They did ask for a military discount, but I can't think of anyone who would give someone posted here in Virginia such a discount during our high season. We'd go broke with all the military here, and the ones that stay here make plenty more money than I do. I only discount coming from or going to a "hardship post".
Riki

Back