What Do You Think?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egoodell

Reaction score
Okay, I know some need to book anything but we have the wine tours so fortunately I have the luxury of saying "no" to something that my gut just does not like. I tried, but this one smells.
Fellow calls mid August. He wants both my rooms (I only have two right now) and a wine tour. Here is where my radar went up. He wants to send me a check for the full amount "in enough time to clear before we come".
My radar only went up because without a cc I have nothing in case of damage. He may have bad credit. I think he also asked if we gave a military discount. He also asked if it was okay in our area because he wanted to book Oct 29,30 and 31 and was concerned as this covered Halloween.
So email back and forth. He wants to book himself and wife and another couple.
August 30 I email him our policy and the form understanding our policies if he wants to use a check, and that he will receive a confirmation via email once I receive the check. I email it to him.
Sept 9 he emails the form filled out and asks if a 50% deposit by check will be acceptable.
I email him back that the check and a valid credit card for balance on check out will be acceptable.
It is now Sept 17 and I have not heard anything. I sent him an email indicating that since we have not received either the prepayment of the check per our conversation or cc to confirm the booking we have gone ahead and booked another party in the rooms. To soften it I said we still have space on a wine tour but no confirmation without a deposit per our policy.
I just don't trust people like this. October is our high season and I don't want to deal with this! His Verizon email does not match his name in any way, and he signs his name "Dr. ____ with no first name. Since I work in MedEd here at the university I know where to check him out and there is no doctor listed by his name in the town where he resides, but he could be a PhD but they don't usually sign "Dr ____" they would usually sign "_____, PhD"
Riki
He finally emails it bac

I have accepted checks a few times, but I charge full amount up front. I give them a week to get the check to me, not more. If I get a call in the mean time, I will give them a chance to pay by cc if they still want the room. So far, I haven't had a problem with the people that sent checks.
I am not sure having a cc # for damages will really cover you in the event of damage. But you have to do what you are comfortable with or can live with.

Trust your gut, sounds like you already did. Something fishy there for sure.
We had a family of 3 call 3 months ahead to book a room for a weekend. The man would not give a credit card, so I told him he had to pay the full amount up front. He sent me a money order for about 75% of the total. He called they day they were supposed to be coming in to cancel because his son was sick. He couldn't understand why he would be responsible for the balance. So we lost out because we did not re-rent the room.
I won't do that again, if you don't want to give a valid cc you're not staying here.

We had a family of 3 call 3 months ahead to book a room for a weekend. The man would not give a credit card, so I told him he had to pay the full amount up front. He sent me a money order for about 75% of the total. He called they day they were supposed to be coming in to cancel because his son was sick. He couldn't understand why he would be responsible for the balance. So we lost out because we did not re-rent the room.
I won't do that again, if you don't want to give a valid cc you're not staying here..
I agree. No cc no room here. I am still worried this guy will show up, but he has no confirmation and has not sent in anything. I'm stressed about my TripAdvisor status but I don't think they can do anything if they have not stayed here. I had a problem before with a group who didn't confirm and then gave me a bad review on Yahoo Travel. On that one they don't have to stay here to send in a review, and the business can't respond.
Riki

I have accepted checks a few times, but I charge full amount up front. I give them a week to get the check to me, not more. If I get a call in the mean time, I will give them a chance to pay by cc if they still want the room. So far, I haven't had a problem with the people that sent checks.
I am not sure having a cc # for damages will really cover you in the event of damage. But you have to do what you are comfortable with or can live with..
hawley said:
I am not sure having a cc # for damages will really cover you in the event of damage. But you have to do what you are comfortable with or can live with.
You can sometimes get away with it if you call it "additional cleaning" and not damages. I was more worried about someone trashing the room cleaning-wise. I really think the worst that would have happened would have been a "no show" and empty rooms from this one, but one never knows.
Editied to add: this would have been a bill for $1980.00
Riki

I won't do that again, if you don't want to give a valid cc you're not staying here..
I agree. No cc no room here. I am still worried this guy will show up, but he has no confirmation and has not sent in anything. I'm stressed about my TripAdvisor status but I don't think they can do anything if they have not stayed here. I had a problem before with a group who didn't confirm and then gave me a bad review on Yahoo Travel. On that one they don't have to stay here to send in a review, and the business can't respond.
Riki
I'm stressed about my TripAdvisor status but I don't think they can do anything if they have not stayed here.
TripAdvisor does not allow "not staying" as a reason to remove a review. If they claim that had a bad experience trying to make a reservation, TripAdvisor will allow that kind of review (assuming everything else is in order).

Riki
Hey, if he has no confirmation, forget about it. He hasn't paid you, he doesn't have a reservation. Make sure you have a copy of what you sent. Do you have a phone number. I would call and tell them. "I hadn't recieved anything from you and I was worried, but sorry..we have this already booked" or something like that.
Do not let the threat of a single review rule your business! There is nothing you can do about any of them except put in a mgt. response when and if it happens. Don't worry about it for heaven's sake:)

Riki
Hey, if he has no confirmation, forget about it. He hasn't paid you, he doesn't have a reservation. Make sure you have a copy of what you sent. Do you have a phone number. I would call and tell them. "I hadn't recieved anything from you and I was worried, but sorry..we have this already booked" or something like that.
Do not let the threat of a single review rule your business! There is nothing you can do about any of them except put in a mgt. response when and if it happens. Don't worry about it for heaven's sake:)
catlady said:
Hey, if he has no confirmation, forget about it. He hasn't paid you, he doesn't have a reservation. Make sure you have a copy of what you sent. Do you have a phone number. I would call and tell them. "I hadn't recieved anything from you and I was worried, but sorry..we have this already booked" or something like that. Do not let the threat of a single review rule your business!
I have all the emails and included the one where I told him he would receive his confirmation upon receipt of the check, so I'm covered. If I don't hear from him, I'll call.
RIki

Riki
I'm stressed about my TripAdvisor status but I don't think they can do anything if they have not stayed here.
TripAdvisor does not allow "not staying" as a reason to remove a review. If they claim that had a bad experience trying to make a reservation, TripAdvisor will allow that kind of review (assuming everything else is in order).
swirt said:
You can also give a bad review if you have a phone call you're not happy with - I've seen those.

Riki
swirt said:
You can also give a bad review if you have a phone call you're not happy with - I've seen those.
muirford said:
swirt said:
oh boy.
Riki

Riki
swirt said:
muirford said:
swirt said:
oh boy.
Riki
You CANNOT let the "maybe threat" of a bad review SOMEWHERE paralyze the way you do business!!! If the majority of reviews are good, then you have nothing to worry about from a few negatives. This mindset of "fear of a bad review" is not good.

Riki
swirt said:
muirford said:
swirt said:
oh boy.
Riki
You CANNOT let the "maybe threat" of a bad review SOMEWHERE paralyze the way you do business!!! If the majority of reviews are good, then you have nothing to worry about from a few negatives. This mindset of "fear of a bad review" is not good.
catlady said:
Oh don't worry, I don't let them hold me hostage. I'm just a little sensitive because we finally rose to #2 in our town behind the Nr.1 B&B and I would dearly love to keep my place there. It's difficult to do that here!
Riki

Riki
swirt said:
muirford said:
swirt said:
oh boy.
Riki
catlady said:
Oh don't worry, I don't let them hold me hostage. I'm just a little sensitive because we finally rose to #2 in our town behind the Nr.1 B&B and I would dearly love to keep my place there. It's difficult to do that here!
Riki
egoodell said:
catlady said:
Riki
I have to tell you (and those who have been kind enough to listen to me rant lately know this), I've had a major struggle with the whole TA thing in the past few months. We've had guests who we have gone above and beyond to make their stay wonderful and they write these reviews that are just so picky and mean-spirited. I have made a vow to myself that I am NOT looking at TA anymore. I know there are those who will say I am sticking my head in the sand and that reviews are a reality, and to some extent you are right. But we're also seeing our own little trend here where incoming guests are making comments that they have read reviews and they can tell when people are whiners or just looking to give someone a hard time. I've finally realized that the kind of guests I really want to stay here are just like that (like me)...they read reviews to make sure there are no cockroaches running around the joint or that breakfast was a slice of toast...they have already connected with our place from our website and contact with us, and they want to stay here, not just any place.
The last time I looked at TA we had slipped from number 2 to number 3 in our area. In my heart I feel this is a good thing. Let all the nitpicky people stay at number 1 and number 2, they can deal with them. I will happily take the people looking past the superficial.
In essence, don't let the fear of a review make your decisions for you. You know what's best for your business.

Riki
They removed one for me where the guest never stayed...was discussed in another thread.

Riki
They removed one for me where the guest never stayed...was discussed in another thread.
Little Blue said:
Well that's good to know. I forgot about that one. At least I have all the emails with the dates and can send them if needed. I really think this guy was just jerking my chain and would have been a no show in high season.
Riki

Riki
swirt said:
muirford said:
swirt said:
oh boy.
Riki
catlady said:
Riki
egoodell said:
catlady said:
Riki
I have to tell you (and those who have been kind enough to listen to me rant lately know this), I've had a major struggle with the whole TA thing in the past few months. We've had guests who we have gone above and beyond to make their stay wonderful and they write these reviews that are just so picky and mean-spirited. I have made a vow to myself that I am NOT looking at TA anymore. I know there are those who will say I am sticking my head in the sand and that reviews are a reality, and to some extent you are right. But we're also seeing our own little trend here where incoming guests are making comments that they have read reviews and they can tell when people are whiners or just looking to give someone a hard time. I've finally realized that the kind of guests I really want to stay here are just like that (like me)...they read reviews to make sure there are no cockroaches running around the joint or that breakfast was a slice of toast...they have already connected with our place from our website and contact with us, and they want to stay here, not just any place.
The last time I looked at TA we had slipped from number 2 to number 3 in our area. In my heart I feel this is a good thing. Let all the nitpicky people stay at number 1 and number 2, they can deal with them. I will happily take the people looking past the superficial.
In essence, don't let the fear of a review make your decisions for you. You know what's best for your business.
InnsiderInfo said:
When I book I don't book based on if you are #1 or #10. If I like the place and most of the reviews fall inline with my feelings I will book.

Riki
swirt said:
muirford said:
swirt said:
oh boy.
Riki
catlady said:
Riki
egoodell said:
catlady said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
When I book I don't book based on if you are #1 or #10. If I like the place and most of the reviews fall inline with my feelings I will book.
GeorgiaGirl said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Yes, but people tend to book the ones they spot first that they like. If #1 or #2 look great, that's where they go to the website and book
RIki

People are just getting ridiculous anymore. A fellow last week asked what the deposit was for a one night stay. I told him there was none, it was payable at the time of booking. Then he wanted to know if there was a package "that would save me some money" for the room and added amenities he was requesting. There was not. He was already buying the cheapest thing we offered.
Sometimes you should just let some people walk because if they are that much of a PITA during the booking process; just imagine what they will be like if they actually stay with you. That would never have even been an issue last year.

Riki
I can attest that you don't even have to speak to a guest to get a bad review. I had one TA afficionado, with 75 reviews and counting to her name, who gave me a bad review because we were on vacation over the Christmas holiday and she was unable to make a reservation for New Year's Eve. I wouldn't have taken it on that day even if I was home at the time, but that's neither here nor there.
I contested it last year and they let it stand. I hope things are changing as some have had luck getting things removed recently. I intend to use that as evidence and try again.

i hope you CALLED! nice voice ~ 'we are sorry, we did not receive your deposit as agreed and had to let the room go to another guest. perhaps you can stay with us another time.' (end)
i never liked taking checks as a deposit. because sometimes the checks did not arrive and the guest did.
the problem for me was compounded by the sweet old hotel across the street (now providing free breakfast to guests by the way) who DID NOT TAKE CREDIT CARDS. can you imagine? so guests would try to book where they stayed before (across the street), that place would be full, and they would refer them to me. and the guests were in the 'cash or check' mode of thinking.
oh .... by the way ... i had one guest who called himself doctor because he had his doctoral in something to do with computers, not sure what .... but in this country we tend to only call those with medical doctorals 'doctor' ... and i was a little surprised.

Back