What do you wish you had?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronGate

Reaction score
As the opposite of YellowSocks' "love your B&B" thread, what would you make sure was included if you ever had to start from scratch?

1. Finished, up to date owners' quarters.
  2. A much bigger laundry room.
  3. Help.

Owner's quarters as nice as the B & B. I would also have a basement or a decent shed for storage.

Whirlpool tub on the third floor. (My current contractor would have done it.)
First floor bathroom more handicapped accessible than it is now (although it's not bad). Again, current contractor could have done it, but too late now.
Space to add one more room.
More hours in the day.
When I was young I once inadvertently made my father sad by saying, "Dad, I know what you'd do if you had a million dollars... you'd farm it until it was gone!" Dh and I agree that if we got a million dollars we'd probably spend it on the B&B it until it was gone.
=)
Kk.

A man :D to help with some of the heavy lifting and some of those other chores I just don't want to do, but I have to do.

Whirlpool tub on the third floor. (My current contractor would have done it.)
First floor bathroom more handicapped accessible than it is now (although it's not bad). Again, current contractor could have done it, but too late now.
Space to add one more room.
More hours in the day.
When I was young I once inadvertently made my father sad by saying, "Dad, I know what you'd do if you had a million dollars... you'd farm it until it was gone!" Dh and I agree that if we got a million dollars we'd probably spend it on the B&B it until it was gone.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
It's amazing how fast money goes these days. I can honestly say, with a straight face, that if I had a million dollars, I could easily stuff it in a charteryacht in the 60 to 70 foot range (that's not huge) in the stroke of one single check (for a used one - a new one would cost twice that!). Heck, I could see where I could spend half of that on the one I have! Oh yeah...reminds me...Capt. Bruce did that - he put $750,000 in a 30 year old yacht that is exactly like mine. See...it really does go fast.

A man :D to help with some of the heavy lifting and some of those other chores I just don't want to do, but I have to do..
Are you on land right now or still on the boat? How are things looking?
I have to agree, I wouldn't want to try to do this without the better half doing the heavy lifting. And the things I don't want to do...mouse patrol for one! BTW, he is pretty impressed with all you know how to do on your own. If you're also cute, I won't talk to him about you anymore.
wink_smile.gif

A man :D to help with some of the heavy lifting and some of those other chores I just don't want to do, but I have to do..
I have to agree, I wouldn't want to try to do this without the better half doing the heavy lifting. And the things I don't want to do...mouse patrol for one! BTW, he is pretty impressed with all you know how to do on your own. If you're also cute, I won't talk to him about you anymore.
wink_smile.gif

LOL That was funny, Bree!
We're in between storms right now. I'm on the boat in my regular slip. I head back for the "hole" on Sunday afternoon or early Monday morning. Ike keeps inching off to the south and west (the projection track does, anyway) and that kind of movement is good for me, but BAD for the folks along the Gulf coast. Ike is one that I don't want to mess with on one hand, but on the other, it could be bad enough that it has to be dealt with from off the boat.
If Ike comes over South Florida, south of Miami, over the keys and through the western part of Everglades, Miami will be on the dirty side of the storm with the surge. That the current tracking, but at this far out, it's not all that reliable. We'll know better by Sunday! If the surge is more than 4 or 5 feet, especially at high tide, then the lines holding the boat will need to be adjusted from shore as the boat rises out of slip, over the dock and above the pilings to which she is tied to allow her to rise with the water level. Otherwise, she'll just break everything and be loose. We can do this by letting the lines out when the water is about ankle deep, then head for higher ground.
More importantly, as the surge recedes, she'll need to be guided back down into the slip by taking up the slack so as not to get left lying on her side on the dock or on a piling that could possibly pierce her. The good news is that when the water recedes, the storm is over, so it's not quite as dangerous of a maneuver as letting the lines out is.
We are in a marina on an island which can easily be underwater with surge. There is a 3 story concrete building on the premises, though.
My Girl....
My%20Girl%20and%20Me.JPG

1. Separate office in our quarters for my dh with a door that closes. If you saw what passes for our office now, you'd know why this is #1!!
  2. Finished owners' quarters before hosting guests.
  3. Large enough den in owners' quarters and configured so that it could double as guest space for our family/friends.
  4. Dream scenario - separate owners' house :)
  5. Laundry room twice the size of the one I have with room for a Mangle, fold down ironing board, second dryer, second refrigerator, and my upright freezer.
  6. Owners quarters with access to the kitchen without going through guest area at all, ideally see #4.
  7. No detached hall bath.
  8. Larger kitchen with room for an ice maker, second wall oven, my wine fridge, and walk-in pantry. And a window over the sink would really be nice.
You asked - if it was from scratch! :)

wink_smile.gif

We're in between storms right now. I'm on the boat in my regular slip. I head back for the "hole" on Sunday afternoon or early Monday morning. Ike keeps inching off to the south and west (the projection track does, anyway) and that kind of movement is good for me, but BAD for the folks along the Gulf coast. Ike is one that I don't want to mess with on one hand, but on the other, it could be bad enough that it has to be dealt with from off the boat.
If Ike comes over South Florida, south of Miami, over the keys and through the western part of Everglades, Miami will be on the dirty side of the storm with the surge. That the current tracking, but at this far out, it's not all that reliable. We'll know better by Sunday! If the surge is more than 4 or 5 feet, especially at high tide, then the lines holding the boat will need to be adjusted from shore as the boat rises out of slip, over the dock and above the pilings to which she is tied to allow her to rise with the water level. Otherwise, she'll just break everything and be loose. We can do this by letting the lines out when the water is about ankle deep, then head for higher ground.
More importantly, as the surge recedes, she'll need to be guided back down into the slip by taking up the slack so as not to get left lying on her side on the dock or on a piling that could possibly pierce her. The good news is that when the water recedes, the storm is over, so it's not quite as dangerous of a maneuver as letting the lines out is.
We are in a marina on an island which can easily be underwater with surge. There is a 3 story concrete building on the premises, though.
My Girl....
My%20Girl%20and%20Me.JPG

BTW - She is a beauty!!

1. Finished, up to date owners' quarters.
  2. A much bigger laundry room.
  3. Help.
Bree, we do share the same house, I want those same things, only 1, 3, 2 order.
Oh, and no detached baths.
inncogneeto said:
Bree, we do share the same house, I want those same things, only 1, 3, 2 order.
Oh, and no detached baths.
The no detached baths wasn't something I gave much thought to. The only time it is a problem for me is when one member of the party (the guy) has not told the other member of the party (the gal) that the bathroom is across the hall. Otherwise, that room holds its own and is actually booking more than the king room and is on par with another queen room. So, it doesn't bother me anymore to have that room.

A clone... not really, the world is not ready for two of me!
1 - a larger laundry room
2 - more inhouse storage
3 - A larger private area on the 1st floor for us (our 'home' is on the 3rd floor)

2 - more inhouse storage
3 - A larger private area on the 1st floor for us (our 'home' is on the 3rd floor).
Copperhead said:
. . .
3 - A larger private area on the 1st floor for us (our 'home' is on the 3rd floor)
If you were on the first floor, would you or your space be more likely to be disturbed by guests? Do you have the entire third floor to yourselves?

2 - more inhouse storage
3 - A larger private area on the 1st floor for us (our 'home' is on the 3rd floor).
Copperhead said:
. . .
If you were on the first floor, would you or your space be more likely to be disturbed by guests? Do you have the entire third floor to yourselves?
IronGate said:
Copperhead said:
Well if I were to do it right...knowing what I know now, NO, I would plan it where they would not be able to go into my area! Our 'home' covers the entire 3rd floor with locking door at the top of the stairs and a 'private' sign on the door.

wink_smile.gif

My Girl....
My%20Girl%20and%20Me.JPG

WOW!!!!

1. Larger Laundry Equipment

2. A tractor with mowing attachment (we have our own version of a state park here and yours truly gets to take care of the "landscaping" i.e., trails, large expanses of lawn etc.
3. Golf Cart for DW to go back and forth to the Guest Cottages. I have a utility vehicle (like an ATV, but looks like a small truck) that we use now, but it would be nice for her to have her own. We could also use it to cart elderly guests to breakfast.

4. Mo' Money, Mo' Money, Mo' Money for all of the improvements I still want to do.

We are very fortunate to have our living quarters detatched from the guest quarters. They do eat in our great room, but this doubles as the dining area and living area and the kitchen opens into it....very cabiny and cozy. Do wish the our bedroom adjoined the one bathroom we have in the house.

1. Larger Laundry Equipment

2. A tractor with mowing attachment (we have our own version of a state park here and yours truly gets to take care of the "landscaping" i.e., trails, large expanses of lawn etc.
3. Golf Cart for DW to go back and forth to the Guest Cottages. I have a utility vehicle (like an ATV, but looks like a small truck) that we use now, but it would be nice for her to have her own. We could also use it to cart elderly guests to breakfast.

4. Mo' Money, Mo' Money, Mo' Money for all of the improvements I still want to do.

We are very fortunate to have our living quarters detatched from the guest quarters. They do eat in our great room, but this doubles as the dining area and living area and the kitchen opens into it....very cabiny and cozy. Do wish the our bedroom adjoined the one bathroom we have in the house..
Proud Texan said:
Do wish the our bedroom adjoined the one bathroom we have in the house.
There are times I wish the bathroom was even on the same floor!

Back