What does check-out time mean, really?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
I've noticed lately that we have many more guests who want to hang around after check-out. They are happy to take all their belongings out of their room so I can get it ready for new guests, but they want to hang around until late in the day. Usually that's not a problem, but it's happening more and more often. Also, they don't ASK if it's o.k., they TELL me they are staying. "Oh, our flight doesn't leave until this evening so we thought we'd just hang around here for the afternoon and then take a leisurely trip to the airport". Or, "We just want to relax for a few more hours. We won't be in your way, we'll just hang out in the living room." That's fine until they are thirsty, need to use the bathroom, need help with directions, etc.etc. We don't have a guest bathroom and I won't let them use the one that's my bathroom/laundry room. Today's guests never left until 4:30! I don't want to put out the snacks for the incoming guests because I'm afraid the loiterers will eat them! Anyone else dealing with this?

Yes, and we allow them to leave a car parked in our lot while they walk into town, and that's it. Turn your key in and you've got to go. You might just need to tell them that you've got errands to run and must have the house locked while you're out (because if they know you're "just" cleaning rooms, they think it's fine to be "out of your way".) Of course if you have a remote location you might need to offer this, but even at that you should charge for it. We say late checkout beyond noon results in full night's charge.

Interesting as we just had that today. Guest was dropped off. Her ride said he'd back tomorrow at 1 to pick her up. We had to tell both of them several times that check-out is at 11. We don't mind if she waits in the living room for her ride, but the rooms have to be done.
And I'm pretty sure I will regret saying it's ok she hangs out here. Because, yes, she'll need a bathroom. So I'll have to lock all the rooms while she's in the house. She'll want coffee. She may want company. She's a smoker so in and out of the house.
We are in the middle of a construction project and I really should have said no for tonight.

OK, I should answer the question you asked...we want the keys back and the room vacated at 11. If someone HAS to hang out here for some reason, they can sit in the living room or outside but then the bags are piled in front of the door. They keep making coffee, they want something to eat. They need a bathroom. If they have used up their time here they have to use the laundry room bathroom. It's a mess, but hey, they didn't want to pay for a second night.
It hasn't happened that often. The worst ones are here for sporting events and want to return at 1-2 PM to shower. I'm not sure anyone understands that we do NOT want to be cleaning all stinkin' day. They just see an empty room and don't get why they can't use it. To shower. Shave. Lie down for a bit. Throw their smelly clothes all over. No, they don't understand it at all.
I wish I had a 3/4 bath like this chalet we looked at in VT. You could check out but come back whenever, shower and get dressed using the 3/4 bath in the hallway. They had towels and lockers. Perfect solution. They washed the bathroom once/day. You understood it was no different than a gym locker room. It seemed to work.

Is there anything you can do? I mean, other than lock up if you have no other guests, but if you do, then you have to allow them to be in and out?

For the most par these people are stretching out their stay, their use of many of the amenities you provide for your paying guests. Yes, even your living areas, gardens, pool, etc. When a guest checks in they are paying not only for the use of a guest room, they are paying for all you have to offer: living areas, gardens, pool, etc..... These guests are stretching our their stay and enjoying these things over and above the amount of time and money previously agreed when they made their reservation. After check out time, the binding time is exhausted, and it is time for them to be on their way.
This is your time to clean not only the guest rooms but also clean or freshen up the living areas as well. You have to have this time to mop and not worry someone will slip. This is also time for gardening, pool cleaning, etc. All to prepare for incoming guests. This is how I put it to those that ask to come early & just lounge by the pool until check in... Sorry that is our maintenance time, check in is at 3. Of course you can always make an exception when YOU want to, but for those that take it for granted are politely provided a list of things they can do near by - bye bye!

NO! Explain you have other guests checking in, or have errands and appts to run. You will not be in the house so no one else can be there either. You have to clean etc etc. If you allow them to stay then you should charge them!!! Do they ask hotels if they can hang around? Do they pay?? You answer that.
Check out time is 11 or 12. Anything after that...sorry. NO CAN DO.

Interesting conversation on this one. We, too, often have this happen.
We store bags after checkout & as there is an outside shower 9 of 10 times they use it. A rinse doesn't bother us so much, but when they get out the shampoo & take a full on shower & then open their suitcases & have everything draped all over the office area, etc. it's annoying. PLUS, as mentioned, THEY HAVE CHECKED OUT. All that extra water, time, etc., & technically, they are no longer guests.. What to do....
Today it's pouring & I imagine our 3 checkouts will wait to the last possible second to vacate the rooms & then take over the living area/kitchens as all aren't leaving until early afternoon on the boat.
As mentioned, folks then want to continue to drink coffee, chat (with us, too), cook things in the kitchens, heat up things in the microwave (using dishes, etc. in the process), then eat, all the while making a trail of crumbs. Plus, traipsing in & out making mud/water throughout the house.
When folks are all out (checked out) we'll often lock the front door. They can get into the courtyard when they return for bags, but can't get back into the living/kitchen/guest rooms area. But sometimes you can't GET them out...
So, how do you politely say that "amenities" are over AT checkout time?

We store bags after checkout & as there is an outside shower 9 of 10 times they use it. A rinse doesn't bother us so much, but when they get out the shampoo & take a full on shower & then open their suitcases & have everything draped all over the office area, etc. it's annoying. PLUS, as mentioned, THEY HAVE CHECKED OUT. All that extra water, time, etc., & technically, they are no longer guests.. What to do....
Today it's pouring & I imagine our 3 checkouts will wait to the last possible second to vacate the rooms & then take over the living area/kitchens as all aren't leaving until early afternoon on the boat.
As mentioned, folks then want to continue to drink coffee, chat (with us, too), cook things in the kitchens, heat up things in the microwave (using dishes, etc. in the process), then eat, all the while making a trail of crumbs. Plus, traipsing in & out making mud/water throughout the house.
When folks are all out (checked out) we'll often lock the front door. They can get into the courtyard when they return for bags, but can't get back into the living/kitchen/guest rooms area. But sometimes you can't GET them out...
So, how do you politely say that "amenities" are over AT checkout time?.
Paradise said:
Put a price tag on it!!!
When we were in Hawaii we had a late evening departure flight. When we booked the hotel we asked about baggage storage and of course they would do that - of course their is that per bag gatuity expected; then they mentioned that they had a daily rental room if we wanted to rent it.. great to keep all the bags in and if we wanted to take a swim that day, we had access to the shower too. If I recall it was 1/3 - 1/2 the room rate and out by 5.

Paradise said:
Put a price tag on it!!!
When we were in Hawaii we had a late evening departure flight. When we booked the hotel we asked about baggage storage and of course they would do that - of course their is that per bag gatuity expected; then they mentioned that they had a daily rental room if we wanted to rent it.. great to keep all the bags in and if we wanted to take a swim that day, we had access to the shower too. If I recall it was 1/3 - 1/2 the room rate and out by 5.
Or perhapse a late check out charge? you sell it as Oh check out is 11 or if you would like to stay and use the pool till 3pm it is XXXX should I add it to your bill?

Paradise said:
Put a price tag on it!!!
Of course that is much easier at a hotel...

Apparently today it is just a 'suggestion' as the guests are only now gettting in the shower.

Paradise said:
Put a price tag on it!!!
Yes that was a hotel. We (me, I) do not have the luxury of having space like that. But we ALL have our amenites that some want to stretch their stay for... and for this there is the choice of letting the abuse continue or putting a price on it.

Paradise said:
Put a price tag on it!!!
Yes that was a hotel. We (me, I) do not have the luxury of having space like that. But we ALL have our amenites that some want to stretch their stay for... and for this there is the choice of letting the abuse continue or putting a price on it.
copperhead said:
and for this there is the choice of letting the abuse continue or putting a price on it.
Do both. Let the abuse continue and charge for it. (Says me...go read my latest post about guest policy changes!)

Back