What does this statement mean?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
"We've stayed with you many times, but..."
And then they tail off to say they won't be staying with us this time because...(any number of reasons) And then they ask for a referral to somewhere else.
The kicker being when I look them up they've never stayed here under the name they gave to us on the phone!

I'd say that chances are that it's one of three possibilities.
A. They're really rude.
B. They're really stupid.
C. They're a competitor trying to annoy you.

I would stay really stupid as I find half the time people have no clue where they have stayed. I had a lady ring and book (note I say who I am and where I am when I answer the phone) and said as she was about to ring off how much they enjoy staying at the Cairn. I said well we arn't the cairn I said it when I answered the phone and they said oh we want to stay at the cairn can I cancel the booking!

If they stayed with you many times, you surely would remember them. If it was with previous owners...who cares? Give them a quote and if they don't like it, tell them to call the Visitor's Bureau. You are not a referral service.

A. They're really rude.
C. They're a competitor trying to annoy you..
Innkeeper To Go said:
A. They're really rude.
D. Trying to wrangle a big discount so you can "keep" their business.

A. They're really rude.
Innkeeper To Go said:
A. They're really rude.
Also a distinct possibility.

A. They're really rude.
Innkeeper To Go said:
A. They're really rude.
I figured D as well. Because we've been here quite long enough to know that if we don't know you, you don't stay often. Could be completely wrong, but because they didn't address me by name, which most repeats do, I'm guessing they got the wrong number.

they called you and said this ? my guess is they stayed there way before your time (or someplace nearby!) and recall an old low rate. and were hoping you'd honor it.

they called you and said this ? my guess is they stayed there way before your time (or someplace nearby!) and recall an old low rate. and were hoping you'd honor it..
Yes, that's what they said. Apparently they have only ever stayed here when in town and wanted a referral to somewhere else because they didn't like my policy for the particular date they wanted to stay. (Holiday, 30 night cancellation) I'm thinking they wanted a waiver on the 30 night cancel rather than a lower price.

:)
sounds like a lady sent to me who needed a room for a few nights. she said she had NEVER paid more than $35, max max max $50 a night to rent a room. man, she was wild! she owns a cottage that she rents out but not for the first two weeks in august. arived at her cottage and found tenants in occupancy. the realtor managed her rentals but ... not after that ... and someone made a mistake. anyway, the realtor sent her to me because she had no place to go. and i'm sorry but i could not rent a room for $50, not even without breakfast (shocking) never mind $35! .... i found her another place to stay until she could get into her own cottage .... but the point was, the last time she rented 'a room' in the area was in the 1970's .... yet, she still couldn't get her head around the idea of rooms for over $35 a night. amazing!

sounds like a lady sent to me who needed a room for a few nights. she said she had NEVER paid more than $35, max max max $50 a night to rent a room. man, she was wild! she owns a cottage that she rents out but not for the first two weeks in august. arived at her cottage and found tenants in occupancy. the realtor managed her rentals but ... not after that ... and someone made a mistake. anyway, the realtor sent her to me because she had no place to go. and i'm sorry but i could not rent a room for $50, not even without breakfast (shocking) never mind $35! .... i found her another place to stay until she could get into her own cottage .... but the point was, the last time she rented 'a room' in the area was in the 1970's .... yet, she still couldn't get her head around the idea of rooms for over $35 a night. amazing!.
My question is - How much did she charge for her cottage? $35 per night?

sounds like a lady sent to me who needed a room for a few nights. she said she had NEVER paid more than $35, max max max $50 a night to rent a room. man, she was wild! she owns a cottage that she rents out but not for the first two weeks in august. arived at her cottage and found tenants in occupancy. the realtor managed her rentals but ... not after that ... and someone made a mistake. anyway, the realtor sent her to me because she had no place to go. and i'm sorry but i could not rent a room for $50, not even without breakfast (shocking) never mind $35! .... i found her another place to stay until she could get into her own cottage .... but the point was, the last time she rented 'a room' in the area was in the 1970's .... yet, she still couldn't get her head around the idea of rooms for over $35 a night. amazing!.
Like the guy here who gets his rooms super cheap in FL and would never pay my rates! What am I thinking?

Like the guy here who gets his rooms super cheap in FL and would never pay my rates! What am I thinking?
You are thinking there are plently of people who will pay your rates and they are not exceptional and that he should get over himself!

SS, similar situation here. Had a call about a year ago from a couple that stayed here in our early days - years 1-2. Thought he was going to get the same price as then...Uh, sorry Charlie! Have they not heard of inflation? It's been 10 years. And on top of that, we have added many amenities we did not have 10 years ago. (which he mentioned at least one "oh, see you have added a pool")
They all must live in the same time warp.

SS, similar situation here. Had a call about a year ago from a couple that stayed here in our early days - years 1-2. Thought he was going to get the same price as then...Uh, sorry Charlie! Have they not heard of inflation? It's been 10 years. And on top of that, we have added many amenities we did not have 10 years ago. (which he mentioned at least one "oh, see you have added a pool")
Bet they left that time warp every year at raise time!! And carped if they did not get one!

Bet they left that time warp every year at raise time!! And carped if they did not get one!
gillumhouse said:
You can put money on that one.

I had one who called the wrong number. She SAID she was using the number on her receipt from 1995! We got thru the whole booking with her bewailing the prices (Hello! Isn't everything a little more now than in 1995???) Anyway, got thru the whole thing and I tell her the directions will be in her confirmation and she assures me she knows exactly where we are and proceeds to give directions to a completely different B&B! And yet, she told me she got the phone number (and probably the NAME) from her receipt. Who saves receipts from 1995 anyway?
She wanted me to hold the room while she called the place she wanted to stay to see if they had openings (and better prices)!

I had one who called the wrong number. She SAID she was using the number on her receipt from 1995! We got thru the whole booking with her bewailing the prices (Hello! Isn't everything a little more now than in 1995???) Anyway, got thru the whole thing and I tell her the directions will be in her confirmation and she assures me she knows exactly where we are and proceeds to give directions to a completely different B&B! And yet, she told me she got the phone number (and probably the NAME) from her receipt. Who saves receipts from 1995 anyway?
She wanted me to hold the room while she called the place she wanted to stay to see if they had openings (and better prices)!
Morticia said:
Okay so now I'm going with a combination of A and B.

Morticia said:
Okay so now I'm going with a combination of A and B.
She ended up staying here. I had no qualms about holding the room because I knew I was winning that one even tho my prices were higher. She did, however, spend the weekend talking about how wonderful the other place was. My guess is she'll be back again in 2015. I should live so long.
I'm pretty tolerant of people's eccentricities as long as I don't sense malice. If you're nice, but odd, ok. If you're odd, but mean, not ok.

I like the odd ones, it spices up the old routine around here, gives me something different to think about when I never know what to expect from them next.
The ones I can't handle are the boring accountants who talk about work!
Give me a zesty quirky eccentric any day. Old or young, doesn't matter, I like them all. Remember the nutty professor who had more stuff in his room than any other guest in history? Even though it took him like 27 trips to pack up his car carrying boxes of books and paraphernalia, I still found him interesting. He never asked the same old "how long you been doin' this? you like it...hard work...sick of guests all the time..." he had unusual questions.

Back