What does your check in look like now?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone tells me they can’t wear a mask then they can stay elsewhere. Easy peasy. If they refuse to quarantine or get tested or follow the ground rules here, they can stay elsewhere. Easy peasy. I don’t have to accept anyone who doesn’t follow the guidelines. Refuse to wear a mask? There’s the door.

We’ve had one couple, from what I’ve been told, who dangled their masks from their fingers. I never saw them or that would not have happened. I have zero tolerance for people who won’t make the effort to be reasonable human beings.

If someone tells me they can’t wear a mask then they can stay elsewhere. Easy peasy. If they refuse to quarantine or get tested or follow the ground rules here, they can stay elsewhere. Easy peasy. I don’t have to accept anyone who doesn’t follow the guidelines. Refuse to wear a mask? There’s the door.

We’ve had one couple, from what I’ve been told, who dangled their masks from their fingers. I never saw them or that would not have happened. I have zero tolerance for people who won’t make the effort to be reasonable human beings.

AMEN SISTER!! I love you! It's your house, your rules. The outliers can stay with the "we're not doing anything different" folks. There are plenty of them. To each their own. Life it too short. Period.

Just wondering how your check in has changed, or not, over the past few months.

We’ve eliminated credit card processing by doing it all in advance. Exceptions being declined cards, or repeat guests for whom we don’t have cards on file.

We’re not requiring signatures except for state COVID tracking.

But, we still have keys to give to guests and we still show them to their room. We no longer enter the room to point things out.

Guests still seem chatty as can be and stand around talking to us. We still have chats during breakfast and most guests have opted to dine in instead of outside. (I did get a workout for a few weeks running breakfast trays up and down those stairs the guest complained about, but I’m about 10 years younger than she is. A big difference at that age.)

We’re also not doing room cleaning during the guest’s stay. It has made cleaning once they’re gone a lot more difficult, but we’re trying to stay safe.

I have totally changed our model. No guests in the 2 suites in the main house, only returning guests staying a minimum of 5 nights in the cottage. All information is given and collected before they arrive, including the final 50% payment for their stay, which is fully refundable if they find they can not come at the last minute. Continental breakfast stocked in the cottage and at least 72 hours between guests. Sofa and chair are covered with cotton throws, that are laundered between guests, along with the new duvet, shams, bed linens (including pillow protectors), and towels. I stocked extra towels and will provide a change of sheets if they are staying a week but I don't enter the cottage, do daily housekeeping, or greet them when they arrive.
The guests in the cottage this week did give me a jolt, however. Their reservation has their address as CT, which is a low-risk state according to the data. The final payment for this couple arrived 7 days in advance with an address of PA, which is a high-risk state! They moved and never mentioned it. I had the uncomfortable job of letting them know that they had to either present me with negative Covid tests taken no more than 72 hours earlier or quarantine for 14 days upon arrival. But they didn't hesitate. No problem. Whew!

Conversing, not arguing. We present each guest with our state’s travel advisory. But we do not ask for proof that they have complied. I see Silverspoon is asking for proof of compliance. I know at least one innkeeper in my town asks for proof of compliance. Is anyone else? Have you reviewed your decision with a lawyer or state representative?
Again, I am opening a discussion, not directions anyone to a right way or wrong way.

@TheBeachHouse We have a form the guest has to sign stating they are not exhibiting any symptoms, have had a negative results COVID test in the past 72 hours, and that they will follow the policies of the state in regard to whatever the state requires to keep the transmission rate low. (Right now that includes the basics of mask-wearing, maintaining distance, limitations on number of people allowed in buildings depending on square footage, staying home if you’re feeling sick or have been in contact with someone who has tested positive.) There are limited states that do not have to sign the agreement.

I have not consulted a lawyer about this, but it’s not sprung on the guest without multiple prior mentions of it. Anyone who doesn’t want to follow any of it just doesn’t come here.

Is every lodging operation in my state following these guidelines? Not a chance. Can I do anything about that? Probably not. I do my part. Guests have been gracious. Some of it seems pointless, but not knowing what the magic bullet is, we’re trying a lot of different methods.

In my state the governor's "decree" has been strict (it is not law since the legislators have not passed a "law") but if you read all the way to the bottom there are exemptions to wearing a mask (medical or example) and if someone meets the criteria for one or more exemptions they are not required to wear a mask. In addition we are not allowed to ask what the reason is. I have the "decree" printed and in a plastic sleeve for guests to reference and leave it up to them and what makes them comfortable.
If the masks work so darned well then a mask wearing guest shouldn't be worried about a guest who doesn't wear a mask.
I am not wearing a mask in my house or anywhere else.
High risk folks should stay home and quarantine.
We have not had any COVID deaths in my county or any adjoining county and very few cases in general.
It seems the more locked down states have had the most cases. Moving COVID cases into nursing homes was a great way to raise the death count and excuses to lock down the general population.

Quite honestly, it is IMPOSSIBLE for US to keep anyone SAFE. WE cannot control where they go, who they see, WHAT they do. The mask manufacturers even do not claim to protect from COVID. What the politicians, Media, and the unelected talking heads in the Health & Medical community have done to YOUR businesses is criminal. They did not give you a choice to make based on actual data. They used "models" that have been proven to be full of BS. My question is this - How many of those who died in the nursing homes (the majority of the deaths) died because of age related causes that maybe" had a cold (which is the same "family" as COVID) or even WITH but not OF. Every related article, "news " story, internet blast starts with the death count. What better to scare the bejesus out of people than with the death count that has been revised DOWN in many places.

Sorry, but i cannot keep anyone safe - not even me because I drive, take walks, get groceries, and live my life. Oh, I also cross busy streets.
Nailed it!

Aww, Mort - thanks for reminding me why my stops here are infrequent. Ask a straightforward question about procedures and our resident science deniers turn it into a chance to spew their alternative facts and political views. Still, a good way to keep up that list of places to avoid when traveling.

@TheBeachHouse We have a form the guest has to sign stating they are not exhibiting any symptoms, have had a negative results COVID test in the past 72 hours, and that they will follow the policies of the state in regard to whatever the state requires to keep the transmission rate low. (Right now that includes the basics of mask-wearing, maintaining distance, limitations on number of people allowed in buildings depending on square footage, staying home if you’re feeling sick or have been in contact with someone who has tested positive.) There are limited states that do not have to sign the agreement.

I have not consulted a lawyer about this, but it’s not sprung on the guest without multiple prior mentions of it. Anyone who doesn’t want to follow any of it just doesn’t come here.

Is every lodging operation in my state following these guidelines? Not a chance. Can I do anything about that? Probably not. I do my part. Guests have been gracious. Some of it seems pointless, but not knowing what the magic bullet is, we’re trying a lot of different methods.
Morticia, as you know, we are fellow YourStaters, and we are following the guidelines exactly as you are. In fact, I stole your line on your website, advising folks to not book with us, if they can't abide by the guidelines. Just yesterday, our nine time repeats from NYC, told us when they were checking in, that they thought it was awesome that we'd actually posted that in our COVID statement. We've also had many other guests who told us that they chose us specifically, because they felt very safe staying with us, after reading.

...our resident science deniers turn it into a chance to spew their alternative facts and political views. Still, a good way to keep up that list of places to avoid when traveling.
Agree! And how folks posture that everyone else is wrong if they disagree with their "scientifically correct" procedures, "...facts and political views".

Last edited:
Thought I'd share the Covid email that we send out to guests 7 days from their stay. A lot of this includes information we tell them at booking (especially the quarantine info), but thought the group might find it of interest.

Lynne and I are looking forward to your arrival! We thought you would give you an update about our preparations and precautions related to the current Covid outbreak. There is one item that will need your attention - completion of a self-certification form as detailed below.
Quarantine Prior to Arrival - If you are driving here from a Covid hotspot (you can check if your area is one here) the state of Vermont requires you self-quarantine for 14 days prior to driving here, or 7 days after a negative Covid test. If you can’t adhere to this restriction, please contact us immediately.
Contact-Free Check-In - We will have your room available with the key inside when you arrive. While you don’t have to check-in formally, we hope we’ll have a chance to say hello when you pull in and direct you to your room on your arrival. If your arrival time is after 8pm, we’ll have an envelope with all your self-checkin information waiting for you in a silver milk box on the front porch of the Main House.
Self-Certification Form ACTION REQUIRED - The state of Vermont requires that you fill out the attached self-certification form to certify that no one in your party is currently suffering from symptoms related to Covid. Please sign and email back to us several days before your arrival.
Masks - Due to state mandates, masks are required for guests when they are in common areas or within six feet of other guests, but are not required in your rooms. Our staff will be wearing masks and washing hands constantly during your entire stay for your safety. Be assured we’re always smiling under them!
Extra Cleaning - Normally most of our cleaning takes place behind the scenes, but be aware during this time you’re likely to see us cleaning high-contact areas such as doorknobs, buttons, etc.
Room refreshes - Room refreshes from staff have been suspended at state direction indefinitely. Should you need fresh towels are anything else for your room, don’t hesitate to let us know and we’ll place them outside your door.
Breakfast - You have three options for breakfast each day: Our inside dining room is set up for proper distancing from other parties and you’re welcome to come on in! There is also outside seating available if you’d prefer. Or you can choose to bring breakfast back to your room. Just let us know each morning when you arrive for breakfast where you’d like to sit.
Local Restaurants - Our local restaurants are open and offer a variety of dining options, including inside seating, outside seating and take-out. We’ll be happy to fill you in over breakfast about your many choices.
Activities - There are a variety of activities available in the area, and many attractions have already reopened. Again, we’ll give you a full run-down and make suggestions over breakfast.
Sara Alerts - To keep up with current guidelines, you may want to consider registering with Sara Alerts to get daily health reminders from the Vermont Department of Health.
Contactless Check-out - When you’re ready to leave, you can choose to either let us know you’d like us to charge your card on file, which won’t require any handing of cards or signing, or you can use another form of payment if you prefer. Just let us know.
We’re looking forward to your stay, and want to you relax and know we’re doing everything to make your visit stress- and worry-free!
Best,
Darren and Lynne

Upon check in, I generally welcome the guests (and smile of course) and say that “I will keep my distance” for the ten minutes of check in but I always wear my n95 (I’ve had them for sanding&painting prior to COVID) at breakfast.
I have noticed I’m not putting on my usual seasonal fat since I’m not eating breakfast with the guests, which is a side benefit..
I keep diners separated and still do the buffet but wipe down all the serving handles on the spoon and forks between guest couples. I think they all appreciate my efforts and I make a point to thank them all for coming during these times!

Upon check in, I generally welcome the guests (and smile of course) and say that “I will keep my distance” for the ten minutes of check in but I always wear my n95 (I’ve had them for sanding&painting prior to COVID) at breakfast.
I have noticed I’m not putting on my usual seasonal fat since I’m not eating breakfast with the guests, which is a side benefit..
I keep diners separated and still do the buffet but wipe down all the serving handles on the spoon and forks between guest couples. I think they all appreciate my efforts and I make a point to thank them all for coming during these times!
A question: If you are on hand to wipe down serving utensils after each guest, why not simply be the server? In other words, only one person touches the serving utensils. You.

@Eugee i think it’s especially important to thank guests who are venturing out. It’s not easy for people to make plans to travel right now.

Well folks, I think we’ve about worn ourselves out on this topic so as the original poster I’m going to lock the comments on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back