What else can we do for you?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How / where do you go to get on these lists for military and State Dept travelers?
Generally, they (or their assistants) find you if they will be working in your area. Make sure you are on your local chamber or visitor accommodation website.

How / where do you go to get on these lists for military and State Dept travelers?
Primarily, we get our business via word of mouth or by google search. We have our rack cards at the information stations at the nearby military training site and Dept of State site. Billeting office has our information. I like and post FB messages tagging those institutions.... not ads but supportive messages, occasionally I will post a special and tag from our biz FB page. Not sure how many are getting that info. We show up for community events that are attended by both sites.
We were going to get listed on the Defense lodging website, but they want % of the action. No thanks. We are FEMA qualified and on the hotel listing for that...no cost but hardwired smoke detectors are required. go to for how to qualify: List of approved hotels and motels for federal travelers

Primarily, we get our business via word of mouth or by google search. We have our rack cards at the information stations at the nearby military training site and Dept of State site. Billeting office has our information. I like and post FB messages tagging those institutions.... not ads but supportive messages, occasionally I will post a special and tag from our biz FB page. Not sure how many are getting that info. We show up for community events that are attended by both sites.
We were going to get listed on the Defense lodging website, but they want % of the action. No thanks. We are FEMA qualified and on the hotel listing for that...no cost but hardwired smoke detectors are required. go to for how to qualify: List of approved hotels and motels for federal travelers
Thank you (all!) for your responses. Looks like you've laid the groundwork first. Good info.

We could probably take part in the program, but the per diem is so low, that even with the food allowance added in it barely reaches our average weekday rate for our smaller rooms. Given some of the horror stories I've heard of government employees using the rate for personal trips, people not qualified trying to use it, etc., I've never wanted to take part. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been called and asked if we accepted the government per diem rate. We just don't get that many federal government travelers in our area to make it worth the trouble.

We could probably take part in the program, but the per diem is so low, that even with the food allowance added in it barely reaches our average weekday rate for our smaller rooms. Given some of the horror stories I've heard of government employees using the rate for personal trips, people not qualified trying to use it, etc., I've never wanted to take part. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been called and asked if we accepted the government per diem rate. We just don't get that many federal government travelers in our area to make it worth the trouble.

Because it is a government travel to use the per deim, it would be tax exempt and would require a copy of the government tax exempt form to get that rate. No form, no rate.

...government employees using the rate for personal trips, people not qualified trying to use it...

I don't do it, since here it's set up with specific hotels. But when I was asked, I replied that it had to be paid on a government credit card or that I need official working papers.

They changed it, around here, in regards to taxes. They pay the taxes. Since taxes here are like VAT, they can simply claim them back and not bother me with them.

Back