What else to offer?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
we're participating in the Free Night For Vets on November 10th. Already rooms full and have at least one that's added a night (at a discount, of course). We're also working with our local association to offer our Vets other freebies and discounts provided by our local attractions, restaurants, etc.
My question is, should I do anything else? We participated last year and didn't do anything 'special'. Any ideas???

We don't have the time to offer anything more than our room amenities - which is a bottle of sparkling wine and port anc chocolate turndown. I don't think they expect anything more - a free room is pretty special in of itself.
Riki

Last year I was too busy playing data processing clerk and telephone answering machine to do anything. I think giving the free room with what we normally do is really all that should be expected. All the rest is nice if an innkeeper can afford it, but many are doing all they can with just the free room. Personally, if the bar keeps getting raised, no one will be able to afford it IMNVHO.
This year, I am giving Nov 10 free (2 rooms - not offering the third room so baths are private). Nov 11 is full rate and Nov 12 is free so it is a BOGO or 50% off but if they leave early I am not losing. I have one room booked for the 3 nights..

You don't need to offer more. The stay itself is great. I don't think anyone expects more. If you want to give them say chocolates or a special dessert. But I don't think extras are needed. Then others will think they should get it and maybe be upset if they didn't when they exchange stories. It is all up to the innkeeper's discretion.

Set aside the parlor, a room where the vets can hang and talk Military or whatever. Some find it cathartic and need to be able to do that. I remember my dad getting together with his Army buddies where they had a couple beers and rehashed their experiences. As a kid, I didn't get it but apparently they did.
regular_smile.gif
They gave so we could have our freedom!

We got the vets a free dinner last year. I also scored with Gilchrist & Soames and got them free bath amenities. If you have shops in town that would offer a discount, a theater group that would offer free tix, free dessert at a restaurant, it's all good.

Back