What fire?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
I'm only posting this because it is something I believe in. Why are we giving away the farm to complainers rather than making everyone's experience better?
http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2012/06/silencing-the-bell-doesnt-put-out-the-fire.html

thumbs_up.gif

I'll repeat my restaurant story. In America, if you complain about your meal you get a free meal. In Italy, if you complain about your meal you get thrown out by the chef himself, who asks how you dare criticize his mother's recipe!

There is no better scenario than temper tantrum pitching little kids. For those who bend to that, it just happens again and again, and the rest of the kids have to suffer with lack of attention and care that the temper tantrum kid gets.
Case in point: Sister's kids fighting over helium balloons the kids were all given at a restaurant. My kids are playing quietly with theirs, her kids are knocking each other's lights out over them. My mother, the wonderful grandmother that she is walks out and takes all the balloons and releases them. Now all the kids are crying...my kids in sobs "Why did Nana do that?" To this day they talk about the day Nana let their balloons go...
And often we mention some of our guests from CALF being the squeaky wheels they expect to be oiled and when they aren't they pitch the same fits. As innkeepers most of do not feel like rewarding bad behavior, and we don't. I have found those with real money are the most polite guests we have, those who expect people to bow to them are the worst...THOSE are the no shows for breakfast after REQUIRING special foods, so they feel special.
pita.gif

thumbs_up.gif

I'll repeat my restaurant story. In America, if you complain about your meal you get a free meal. In Italy, if you complain about your meal you get thrown out by the chef himself, who asks how you dare criticize his mother's recipe!.
Arkansawyer said:
thumbs_up.gif

I'll repeat my restaurant story. In America, if you complain about your meal you get a free meal. In Italy, if you complain about your meal you get thrown out by the chef himself, who asks how you dare criticize his mother's recipe!
There is another saying we have here, "Be nice to the person cooking your food"
chef.gif

If I know of soemthing that does not meet my standards, guests do not need to complain for me to adjust, meaning something I cannot control. Until I can get in line with my roofer, I cringe when there is a forecast of rain. I still have my budget room available on my online in case I have people looking for that price point - but I move them to the queen room on arrival for the same price, because the budget room has ceiling damage that it is useless to repair until the roof is fixed. IF it is in my power to fix what was perceived as a problem, I do hope I would fix it
I would never blog about a complaint unless it was to say we fixed it. Otherwise you are inviting a repeat expectation of a free gimmee a la the "Bowling Bi*****" who knew if they complained about their meal at that hotel chain I worked at would get the meal free - and did!

There is no better scenario than temper tantrum pitching little kids. For those who bend to that, it just happens again and again, and the rest of the kids have to suffer with lack of attention and care that the temper tantrum kid gets.
Case in point: Sister's kids fighting over helium balloons the kids were all given at a restaurant. My kids are playing quietly with theirs, her kids are knocking each other's lights out over them. My mother, the wonderful grandmother that she is walks out and takes all the balloons and releases them. Now all the kids are crying...my kids in sobs "Why did Nana do that?" To this day they talk about the day Nana let their balloons go...
And often we mention some of our guests from CALF being the squeaky wheels they expect to be oiled and when they aren't they pitch the same fits. As innkeepers most of do not feel like rewarding bad behavior, and we don't. I have found those with real money are the most polite guests we have, those who expect people to bow to them are the worst...THOSE are the no shows for breakfast after REQUIRING special foods, so they feel special.
pita.gif
Just this week I read a piece on the Editorial page about the family on A las ka Ai rli nes who were tossed from the plane when a 3 yo threw a fit at take-off. Mom & other kids were in First Class & Dad & the temper tantrum were in economy. Kis threw the fit when they tried to take away the iPad or whatever electronic doodad he was playing with so they could take off. Kid threw himseld acoss seat so he could not be belted so pitlot returned to the gate and Dad & kid were invited to leave the plane and although the first class were allowed to stay, also left so all fares were refunded.
The tone of the piece I read was that this was the red-eye so now even the red-eye is no longer safe from brats. She also talked about the train from DC to NYC that a lot of business people take so they can WORK as they travel. A woman boarded with a small child and per the writer, everyone could read the "Oh, no!" in everyone's face. she said it turned out the disrupter on that journey was a man who had to talk his biz loudly on his cell phone the whole trip - THIS kid was perfectly quiet.

I feel like making a sign sometimes "if you want to have your breakfast spat in feel free to wake me up at 2am if not please be quiet when returning on an evening"

Back