What guest suggestions have you decided just don't work in your venue?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
What suggestions have guests made that you have NOT followed thru on because they don't fit your model, they wouldn't work in your location or they were just cost prohibitive?
  1. Noon arrival time.
  2. Cooked to order menu.
  3. Bottled water.
  4. Kitchen privileges.
  5. Elevator.
  6. Rip out stairs, put in walkway.
  7. Change name of B&B.
  8. Allow more guests in rooms than is healthy, sane or safe.

Our great suggestion by a local retired politician who is now getting into making fruit wines was
Instead of running wine tours from 1 to 5
Run the tours ealier and start with the tour of Monticello and Jefferson's interest in wine and follow through with the wine tasting showing the sucess.
Sure, and when would we feed our guests breakfast and change the rooms and check them in?
And how many guests want to be with us touring for 7 hours?
And where would we get the energy to tour and talk to guests for 7 hours instead of 4?
And who is going to get Monticello with all their red tape to allow us there doing a tour in the morning?
sheesh.
RIki

Our great suggestion by a local retired politician who is now getting into making fruit wines was
Run the tours ealier and start with the tour of Monticello and Jefferson's interest in wine and follow through with the wine tasting showing the sucess.
Sure, and when would we feed our guests breakfast and change the rooms and check them in?
And where would we get the energy to tour and talk to guests for 7 hours instead of 4?
And who is going to get Monticello with all their red tape to allow us there doing a tour in the morning?
sheesh.
RIki.
Yeah unfortunately they just don't understand. Of course you are a bit different in that you have 2 businesses going at once.

sheesh.
RIki.
I'm sorry, I can't get past the words "Monticello" and "wine"...two of my very favorite things...I need to come stay with you!!!

I was offered flower boxes for my porch. I have a flat board rather than a "railing". I said thank you, I appreciate the offer, but in the summer the ladies sit on the glider, the guys lean on/sit on the place she wanted to put flower boxes. My porch is my "common area".

Many guests tell me I should offer weekend cooking classes. While I realize that culinary tourism is a big (and growing) travel trend, I just can't stand the idea of having people in my kitchen. I need my boundaries.

very first guests .... 2 older couples ... when they saw the bathrobes ... husband number one "You don't want to provide bathrobes. You've made a big mistake and wasted your money. This time next year, most will have been stolen"
i told him i was determined not to think that way ... but then i started worrying.
when i left the place three years later, not one robe had gone missing and most of the guests loved using them.
hmmph. so there.
wink_smile.gif

Post a menu and let guests choose what they want to eat. We are still laughing about that one. Let them come in through the kitchen so they can just walk through the entire house and our quarters to the front where the stairs to the guest rooms are. No clue. Seashanty someone asked me yesterday how many of our bathrobe have been stolen? I said none.

sheesh.
RIki.
I'm sorry, I can't get past the words "Monticello" and "wine"...two of my very favorite things...I need to come stay with you!!!
InnsiderInfo said:
COME ON DOWN! We love meeting forum folks!
Riki

sheesh.
RIki.
InnsiderInfo said:
COME ON DOWN! We love meeting forum folks!
Riki
Thanks!! I want to look into this, I will be in touch!

Honestly...can you imagine you, yourself, traveling anywhere and staying in a b&b...and giving unsolicited "advice"? It's different if you know the innkeepers, or you've stayed for a few days and they know what you do and they ASK...but the unsolicited stuff just kills me. I just wouldn't do it. It happens here all the time though, we just say "Great idea" and keep moving...

Honestly...can you imagine you, yourself, traveling anywhere and staying in a b&b...and giving unsolicited "advice"? It's different if you know the innkeepers, or you've stayed for a few days and they know what you do and they ASK...but the unsolicited stuff just kills me. I just wouldn't do it. It happens here all the time though, we just say "Great idea" and keep moving....
InnsiderInfo said:
Honestly...can you imagine you, yourself, traveling anywhere and staying in a b&b...and giving unsolicited "advice"? It's different if you know the innkeepers, or you've stayed for a few days and they know what you do and they ASK...but the unsolicited stuff just kills me. I just wouldn't do it. It happens here all the time though, we just say "Great idea" and keep moving...
Those are innkeepers favorite words from a guest "Can I make a suggestion..." Once again they are the only guest you have ever had. I tried to explain this to someone yesterday who stared at me like a deer in the headlights. They really did not get that this is 'work' and I said, again, "We are up at 6am making breakfast for guests, and working all day. If guests check in at 9 or 10 pm that is a long long day." Her reply "Do they guests choose when breakfast is?" I looked at her and said "Does it matter? We have to prep and cook the meal, we have to serve the meal, the guest does not do that." It was not by way of complaining, she asked we answered her question. I guess we should not have answered the question that was asked. It seems we do that more and more in this business, so non-innkeepers think it is a bowl of cherries day in and day out. LOL.
BTW my guests last night arrived after midnight. I didn't even know how many there were for breakfast, the one room went and gathered his mother to bring her here for breakfast - "OPEN FOR BUSINESS" I guess the sign says. "You won't mind if Mother joins us for breakfast" and I did mind, the table was set for the guests who paid to stay with us. I told him we are only permitted to serve breakfast to guests registered to stay here (which it truth). I made her a cup of tea and moved the centrepiece down and she sat with the family. I brought the food out and the wife said to me "I don't eat eggs" I replied, "Will they make you sick if they are on the plate?" "No, I just won't eat them." They are here for 6 nights, the menu is already planned. I said to her "It won't hurt my feelings at all if you leave whatever you don't like right there on that plate" and walked away.
Innkeeps - there has to be a linedrawn when day in and day out guests take advantage, after all we are so nice and just do this for fun, right? Boundaries. You play within my boundaries and nobody gets hurt. (I mean, every one enjoys their stay).

Honestly...can you imagine you, yourself, traveling anywhere and staying in a b&b...and giving unsolicited "advice"? It's different if you know the innkeepers, or you've stayed for a few days and they know what you do and they ASK...but the unsolicited stuff just kills me. I just wouldn't do it. It happens here all the time though, we just say "Great idea" and keep moving....
InnsiderInfo said:
Those are innkeepers favorite words from a guest "Can I make a suggestion..." Once again they are the only guest you have ever had. I tried to explain this to someone yesterday who stared at me like a deer in the headlights. They really did not get that this is 'work' and I said, again, "We are up at 6am making breakfast for guests, and working all day. If guests check in at 9 or 10 pm that is a long long day." Her reply "Do they guests choose when breakfast is?" I looked at her and said "Does it matter? We have to prep and cook the meal, we have to serve the meal, the guest does not do that." It was not by way of complaining, she asked we answered her question. I guess we should not have answered the question that was asked. It seems we do that more and more in this business, so non-innkeepers think it is a bowl of cherries day in and day out. LOL.
BTW my guests last night arrived after midnight. I didn't even know how many there were for breakfast, the one room went and gathered his mother to bring her here for breakfast - "OPEN FOR BUSINESS" I guess the sign says. "You won't mind if Mother joins us for breakfast" and I did mind, the table was set for the guests who paid to stay with us. I told him we are only permitted to serve breakfast to guests registered to stay here (which it truth). I made her a cup of tea and moved the centrepiece down and she sat with the family. I brought the food out and the wife said to me "I don't eat eggs" I replied, "Will they make you sick if they are on the plate?" "No, I just won't eat them." They are here for 6 nights, the menu is already planned. I said to her "It won't hurt my feelings at all if you leave whatever you don't like right there on that plate" and walked away.
Innkeeps - there has to be a linedrawn when day in and day out guests take advantage, after all we are so nice and just do this for fun, right? Boundaries. You play within my boundaries and nobody gets hurt. (I mean, every one enjoys their stay).
"I don't eat eggs"
At that point I would have liked to "ram them down her throat! GRRRRR.
I can't wait to hear what you have to say at the end of their 6 day stay
pita.gif

InnsiderInfo said:
"I don't eat eggs"
pita.gif

catlady said:
"I don't eat eggs"
pita.gif
Care to take a chance to guess where they are from? We have a full house this weekend and I am just not in the mood for playing games and don;t get paid enough to be their personal dietition. I did wander back in to collect plates and asked if an egg were cooked into a pancake would she eat that? She replied she really only eats fruit and cereal at home, I smiled graciousely and said "Honey you are not at home, you are at a Bed and Breakfast" and went in and kicked the cat. (That last line was for effect, no animals were injured this morning, yet).

InnsiderInfo said:
It seems we do that more and more in this business, so non-innkeepers think it is a bowl of cherries day in and day out. LOL.
Innkeeps - there has to be a line where day in and day out guest take advantage after all we are so nice and just do this for fun.
[/quote]
Wow, I love your responses!!! "Will they make you sick if they are on the plate?" That is AWESOME!!!
I had a perfectly lovely guest say to me last Friday morning (and this was after they had showed up 3 hours early for check-in which luckily worked out, and we had just served 18 people breakfast) "This must be like a vacation for you both."
After I picked my jaw up from the floor I just laughed and explained how, no, each of us working 90 hours per week is not exactly a vacation...but yes, we do love it.
Bless her heart!

InnsiderInfo said:
"I don't eat eggs"
pita.gif

catlady said:
"I don't eat eggs"
pita.gif
Care to take a chance to guess where they are from? We have a full house this weekend and I am just not in the mood for playing games and don;t get paid enough to be their personal dietition. I did wander back in to collect plates and asked if an egg were cooked into a pancake would she eat that? She replied she really only eats fruit and cereal at home, I smiled graciousely and said "Honey you are not at home, you are at a Bed and Breakfast" and went in and kicked the cat. (That last line was for effect, no animals were injured this morning, yet).
Joe Bloggs said:
catlady said:
"I don't eat eggs"
pita.gif
Oh yeah...just let me guess:) I will be thinking about you! And checking the evening news for breaking news from your town:)

InnsiderInfo said:
We had someone staying here from So California who on his last day came out to "advise" us on things that needed correction. He told DH he was "the type of person that seeks out the manager in the store first thing" and that he had to come out and talk to us about this before his wife got out of the shower because she does not like him doing this.
He could not sleep all night because of the private entry to the suite. Someone might look in the door window.
You know the doors that have the half window on top? The one that's so high someone 6'5" would need to stand on a chair to look in? And did I mention we are on a country road 6.5 miles from downtown with one other house on it?
Plus he told us the headboards of the beds in the rooms should not be against each other as he was sure he could hear snoring from the room next door.
Umm, the headboards are on the two walls furthest apart. Don't think that was what he was hearing.
Oh yea.
RIki

InnsiderInfo said:
We had someone staying here from So California who on his last day came out to "advise" us on things that needed correction. He told DH he was "the type of person that seeks out the manager in the store first thing" and that he had to come out and talk to us about this before his wife got out of the shower because she does not like him doing this.
He could not sleep all night because of the private entry to the suite. Someone might look in the door window.
You know the doors that have the half window on top? The one that's so high someone 6'5" would need to stand on a chair to look in? And did I mention we are on a country road 6.5 miles from downtown with one other house on it?
Plus he told us the headboards of the beds in the rooms should not be against each other as he was sure he could hear snoring from the room next door.
Umm, the headboards are on the two walls furthest apart. Don't think that was what he was hearing.
Oh yea.
RIki
I'm just giggling to myself...picturing someone staying up all night, worried because someone might look in the window...what exactly does he think they would want to see in there??? Maybe HE's a peeping Tom and that's why he's worried...

InnsiderInfo said:
Oh yea.
RIki
I'm just giggling to myself...picturing someone staying up all night, worried because someone might look in the window...what exactly does he think they would want to see in there??? Maybe HE's a peeping Tom and that's why he's worried...
InnsiderInfo said:
Yah, the funny thing is this fellow was well into his 60s and not much to look at so I'm not sure what all he thought someone would see. And the only things out here at night are the woodpeckers, possum, deer, squirrels....once we did see a mama bear....
Riki

InnsiderInfo said:
Oh yea.
RIki
InnsiderInfo said:
Yah, the funny thing is this fellow was well into his 60s and not much to look at so I'm not sure what all he thought someone would see. And the only things out here at night are the woodpeckers, possum, deer, squirrels....once we did see a mama bear....
Riki
And the only things out here at night are the woodpeckers, possum, deer, squirrels....once we did see a mama bear....
That explains it - wildlife phobia and I bet his wife can run faster than him!

Back