What guest suggestions have you decided just don't work in your venue?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly...can you imagine you, yourself, traveling anywhere and staying in a b&b...and giving unsolicited "advice"? It's different if you know the innkeepers, or you've stayed for a few days and they know what you do and they ASK...but the unsolicited stuff just kills me. I just wouldn't do it. It happens here all the time though, we just say "Great idea" and keep moving....
InnsiderInfo said:
Honestly...can you imagine you, yourself, traveling anywhere and staying in a b&b...and giving unsolicited "advice"? It's different if you know the innkeepers, or you've stayed for a few days and they know what you do and they ASK...but the unsolicited stuff just kills me. I just wouldn't do it. It happens here all the time though, we just say "Great idea" and keep moving...
We had someone staying here from So California who on his last day came out to "advise" us on things that needed correction. He told DH he was "the type of person that seeks out the manager in the store first thing" and that he had to come out and talk to us about this before his wife got out of the shower because she does not like him doing this.
He could not sleep all night because of the private entry to the suite. Someone might look in the door window.
You know the doors that have the half window on top? The one that's so high someone 6'5" would need to stand on a chair to look in? And did I mention we are on a country road 6.5 miles from downtown with one other house on it?
Plus he told us the headboards of the beds in the rooms should not be against each other as he was sure he could hear snoring from the room next door.
Umm, the headboards are on the two walls furthest apart. Don't think that was what he was hearing.
Oh yea.
RIki
I'm just giggling to myself...picturing someone staying up all night, worried because someone might look in the window...what exactly does he think they would want to see in there??? Maybe HE's a peeping Tom and that's why he's worried...
InnsiderInfo said:
I'm just giggling to myself...picturing someone staying up all night, worried because someone might look in the window...what exactly does he think they would want to see in there??? Maybe HE's a peeping Tom and that's why he's worried...
Yah, the funny thing is this fellow was well into his 60s and not much to look at so I'm not sure what all he thought someone would see. And the only things out here at night are the woodpeckers, possum, deer, squirrels....once we did see a mama bear....
Riki
And the only things out here at night are the woodpeckers, possum, deer, squirrels....once we did see a mama bear....
That explains it - wildlife phobia and I bet his wife can run faster than him!
gillumhouse said:
And the only things out here at night are the woodpeckers, possum, deer, squirrels....once we did see a mama bear....
hahahah - well I'm trying to be somewhat nice here. I'm from San Francisco, and although I have relatives in Southern California, we are very mean to them down there. We say things like
"The only culture in Southern California is in their yoghurt"...
Riki

Honestly...can you imagine you, yourself, traveling anywhere and staying in a b&b...and giving unsolicited "advice"? It's different if you know the innkeepers, or you've stayed for a few days and they know what you do and they ASK...but the unsolicited stuff just kills me. I just wouldn't do it. It happens here all the time though, we just say "Great idea" and keep moving....
InnsiderInfo said:
Honestly...can you imagine you, yourself, traveling anywhere and staying in a b&b...and giving unsolicited "advice"? It's different if you know the innkeepers, or you've stayed for a few days and they know what you do and they ASK...but the unsolicited stuff just kills me. I just wouldn't do it. It happens here all the time though, we just say "Great idea" and keep moving...
We had someone staying here from So California who on his last day came out to "advise" us on things that needed correction. He told DH he was "the type of person that seeks out the manager in the store first thing" and that he had to come out and talk to us about this before his wife got out of the shower because she does not like him doing this.
He could not sleep all night because of the private entry to the suite. Someone might look in the door window.
You know the doors that have the half window on top? The one that's so high someone 6'5" would need to stand on a chair to look in? And did I mention we are on a country road 6.5 miles from downtown with one other house on it?
Plus he told us the headboards of the beds in the rooms should not be against each other as he was sure he could hear snoring from the room next door.
Umm, the headboards are on the two walls furthest apart. Don't think that was what he was hearing.
Oh yea.
RIki
InnsiderInfo said:
Yah, the funny thing is this fellow was well into his 60s and not much to look at so I'm not sure what all he thought someone would see. And the only things out here at night are the woodpeckers, possum, deer, squirrels....once we did see a mama bear....
Riki
gillumhouse said:
hahahah - well I'm trying to be somewhat nice here. I'm from San Francisco, and although I have relatives in Southern California, we are very mean to them down there. We say things like
Riki
I guess he got to feel SOOO important because he got to tell you ways you could improve your business. At the end of the day I guess that is why they all do it, we all want to feel valued. I'm willing to play along to an extent, but after one or two suggestions I'm ready to tell them to hit the bricks.

InnsiderInfo said:
Oh yea.
RIki
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
gillumhouse said:
Riki
I guess he got to feel SOOO important because he got to tell you ways you could improve your business. At the end of the day I guess that is why they all do it, we all want to feel valued. I'm willing to play along to an extent, but after one or two suggestions I'm ready to tell them to hit the bricks.
InnsiderInfo said:
yep and he had to sneak out to give us this advice, since his wife won't put up with it. He told us he advises people everywhere he goes and shops.
Riki

InnsiderInfo said:
Oh yea.
RIki
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
gillumhouse said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
We've found that a very polite, 'Why thank you, we hadn't thought of that,' goes a LONG way toward making even the most obx guest feel like they accomplished something. Have also found that the minute we try to explain, digress, pooh pooh the idea or anything that sounds like we're not taking their advice even if on a silver platter, just gets people annoyed. If it's a really good idea, I'll look at hubs and say, 'Write that one down, it's a keeper!'
I don't take as much personally as I used to. (Thanks in part to you all who will listen when I come on here to crab about the guest who thinks they know it all!) I've changed a lot in 5 years! Even tho it may not always show.

InnsiderInfo said:
Oh yea.
RIki
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
gillumhouse said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
yep and he had to sneak out to give us this advice, since his wife won't put up with it. He told us he advises people everywhere he goes and shops.
Riki
egoodell said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
That's definitely a certain kind of person. Sometimes harmless, sometimes very controlling.

InnsiderInfo said:
Oh yea.
RIki
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
gillumhouse said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
We've found that a very polite, 'Why thank you, we hadn't thought of that,' goes a LONG way toward making even the most obx guest feel like they accomplished something. Have also found that the minute we try to explain, digress, pooh pooh the idea or anything that sounds like we're not taking their advice even if on a silver platter, just gets people annoyed. If it's a really good idea, I'll look at hubs and say, 'Write that one down, it's a keeper!'
I don't take as much personally as I used to. (Thanks in part to you all who will listen when I come on here to crab about the guest who thinks they know it all!) I've changed a lot in 5 years! Even tho it may not always show.
I couldn't agree more...if you try to explain any kind of "why" they just shut right down. I also like the "We hadn't thought of that" idea...makes them feel even MORE important for giving you a new insight.
Just talked to a friend who is trying to sell her house and got a lowball offer...she and her hubs were just so personally offended which a few years ago I would have been too...I told her it's not about her house, just everyone thinks in this "terrible economy" they they are doing you a favor, etc.
This job has definitely changed me as well, and I do like to think I don't take it ALL so personally as I used to. I also thank all of you for listening and being righteously indignant when called for and understanding in a way no "layman" possbly could.

InnsiderInfo said:
Oh yea.
RIki
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
gillumhouse said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
I couldn't agree more...if you try to explain any kind of "why" they just shut right down. I also like the "We hadn't thought of that" idea...makes them feel even MORE important for giving you a new insight.
Just talked to a friend who is trying to sell her house and got a lowball offer...she and her hubs were just so personally offended which a few years ago I would have been too...I told her it's not about her house, just everyone thinks in this "terrible economy" they they are doing you a favor, etc.
This job has definitely changed me as well, and I do like to think I don't take it ALL so personally as I used to. I also thank all of you for listening and being righteously indignant when called for and understanding in a way no "layman" possbly could.
Absolutely, our first bad review came in and you would have thought the island had sunk! Thank goodness we had just had a not perfect review a few weeks before, which also sank the island. We had enough time to catch our breath, do some research on how to turn these things into a marketing positive, and figure out that it was not "US" everytime something isn't 5 star.
We also did take a close look at the complaint and what caused it so that we could do a better job the next time.

InnsiderInfo said:
Oh yea.
RIki
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
gillumhouse said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
I am with you....I just say, "Thanks so much for the suggestion. That's a new one on us. We'll have to really think about it!" Then I'll tell dh husband and we'll have a good laugh.
We serve breakfast when the guest wants it during our range. That one cracks me up about a menu, "Why don't you just have several items on a menu to make it easier on yourself?" Easier? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??

That we should build a wall along the back side of our property to block out the view and smell of the cows, so it wouldn't bother them during their wedding. You've seen the pic of my backyard on the other post. Yes, I'm serious.
They rented a tent with walls. These folks got the PITA of the Year award to boot.

That we should build a wall along the back side of our property to block out the view and smell of the cows, so it wouldn't bother them during their wedding. You've seen the pic of my backyard on the other post. Yes, I'm serious.
They rented a tent with walls. These folks got the PITA of the Year award to boot..
Willowpondgj said:
They rented a tent with walls. These folks got the PITA of the Year award to boot.
I am laughing so hard I'm crying.

Back