What guest trends have you seen in 2010?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Have you noticed a guest trend in 2010 that differs from the year or years past? A way they book their room or inquire?
  1. With caller ID I have noticed that nearly all messages leave a different phone # to the one they are calling on. ie cell phone is free or it is a business cell phone, so call them back on their home phone which is always a different #.
  2. GPS are much more prolific, do they not print out your directions any longer?
  3. Laptop and iPhones, they don't require an Inn Laptop to access email or info?
  4. Most are booking directly with you versus using a directory? The directories wants us to give them access to our online reservation systems which actually seems to be going the opposite direction (imo).

The number of guests who claim to have found us on a paid directory has dropped enormously. Most say they found us on Google Local, although they call it the map. Still seeing roughly the same numbers calling vs online reserving. No idea how they are getting here (printing out my directions of following GPS directions, but I would hazard a guess at GPS). The inn computer still gets a fair amount of use from all age groups. Looking at upgrading the WiFi service because of the number of laptops coming in the door.

Two routers for wifi? Both ends of the house? Or faster speed?
Oh and on the directory thing, remember a couple years ago you and I both had an item in the pick list of where you found us that was fake, ie no longer members there, and had people pick it often? We did this as a test.
Well after that I lost all hope for guests to actually KNOW where they found us or CARE to let us know, so on the new rezkey I don't ask.
But I do have two areas where they type in what they want, and it is so much better! I mean, reason for stay is very specific now, which I appreciate!

We have found now nearly 75-80% of people book online with the othe percentage having either found us online and have rung to ask a question (ie is a partcular room free on this date? is it suitable for ...) We fine more people do not have much of a clue what they have booked or even where it is in relation to what they have come for. More people are having mini breaks or short breaks in the UK as opposed to going abroad which is better for us but hammers our laundry! and changing all the beds. But what has decreased is long family holidays in the UK they have virtually disappeared with cheap package deals to europe. i think (and I am sure everyone will agree) our marketing has become much more competative and sophisticated and with the advent of the internet it has allowed the small places like us to compete on a much more even field with what I call the big boys.

Oh and on the directory thing, remember a couple years ago you and I both had an item in the pick list of where you found us that was fake, ie no longer members there, and had people pick it often? We did this as a test.
Well after that I lost all hope for guests to actually KNOW where they found us or CARE to let us know, so on the new rezkey I don't ask.
But I do have two areas where they type in what they want, and it is so much better! I mean, reason for stay is very specific now, which I appreciate!.
Joey Bloggs said:
Probably 2 entirely different routers on different accounts AND faster speed.

More and more plug in devices - all types. Cords stretched all over. Need for more outlets! but just purchased several extention cords with 6 plug in spots.
Also more cords left behind. I think I mailed more packages back this year than ever before. Maybe with the extentions, people will pay more attention or will plug everything in at the 1 spot where it will be less of a chance to miss something?!!!!

More and more plug in devices - all types. Cords stretched all over. Need for more outlets! but just purchased several extention cords with 6 plug in spots.
Also more cords left behind. I think I mailed more packages back this year than ever before. Maybe with the extentions, people will pay more attention or will plug everything in at the 1 spot where it will be less of a chance to miss something?!!!!.
I know that I appreciate the surge protected power outlets for my gizmos! People like their technology!
I have re-discovered my iPod and have been adding more music after just buying a car with Bluetooth and iPod ports, so I'll be traveling with it more now. I've relied on just playing music on iTunes using my laptop since I bring it with me anyway but with my Smartphone and the iPod, I can probably leave the laptop at home most of the time now as the iPod charges in the car. I'm too lazy to port all my music over to the phone. lol!
There are so many choices out there and people like to use their own combination of these smart devices for music, entertainment, and communication!

Back