What happens on the forum, stays on the forum-please!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I had the unnerving experience this morning of having a guest address me by my forum name. I have an alias so guests don't find me online, which allows me to come here, amongst friends, and have a little rant when I need to. I like being able to share my 'expertise' on some things with others who need help, but I will not be able to continue in this manner if other innkeepers are 'ratting me out' to guests.
The guest had lots of questions about whether or not we have a blacklist of bad guests, what do we talk about, who is on here, etc? All things I tried to downplay and laugh off after my initial shock.
So, please, when you're talking to guests don't give away info you have gleaned about who is who when those people have deliberately chosen to shield their real id. The chances of the guest ever finding me are slim, but the shock was pretty real all the same.

Thanks for brining this up. I just thought that it was understood that if we didn't use our real "names" people would know not to tell the world!
By the way Morticia, did you see the picture I put on facebook of the fruit/yogurt in the martini glass?

We certainly need the experiences you share! You might need to start a new account under a new pseudonym occasionally to keep your "fame" from interfering with the good you do here. That would be a terrible shame, of course, so let's hope this was a one-time-thing!

Thanks for brining this up. I just thought that it was understood that if we didn't use our real "names" people would know not to tell the world!
By the way Morticia, did you see the picture I put on facebook of the fruit/yogurt in the martini glass?.
I did see a pic of a martini glass with fruit, but I thought it was someone else! Maybe someone else used the same idea!

We certainly need the experiences you share! You might need to start a new account under a new pseudonym occasionally to keep your "fame" from interfering with the good you do here. That would be a terrible shame, of course, so let's hope this was a one-time-thing!.
I tried that, too hard to keep my 2 selves separated!

The rules of the forum are actually to not rat anyone out either here or in person with anyone else, and that includes other innmates we might see at a conference or be visiting in person. I know it is difficult, we are like one big normal dysfunctional family here. tee hee
Mort, now the guest knows who you are, what did you end up saying to them, since you are here mentioning it? Do they come here often or something? Do they know any more of us?

The rules of the forum are actually to not rat anyone out either here or in person with anyone else, and that includes other innmates we might see at a conference or be visiting in person. I know it is difficult, we are like one big normal dysfunctional family here. tee hee
Mort, now the guest knows who you are, what did you end up saying to them, since you are here mentioning it? Do they come here often or something? Do they know any more of us?.
I don't think the guest knows the forum, at least he didn't mention it by name. My guess is he'll never show up here. He wasn't that interested if I wasn't going to tell him details. Which I wasn't. I basically gasped, laughed and then changed the subject. AFTER I asked where he had stayed.

Morticia, that's pretty unnerving. Especially that he was asking about banned lists and the like.
Did you ask him why he thought your name was Morticia?

Mort, I do not know what I would do if someone confronted me using this name. It is an 'oath' of sorts to keep our identies private. Sure hope this will never happen again to you or any of us.
And while on the subject - we should all be very careful not to reveal locations of others here as well.

Morticia, that's pretty unnerving. Especially that he was asking about banned lists and the like.
Did you ask him why he thought your name was Morticia?.
Didn't have to, he started off the conversation by telling me he talked with other innkeepers who called me that and said they knew me in an online group.

That is not good. Like you said it is nice to be able to rant to other Innkeepers when you just need a shoulder to lean or a little inn advice..

Mort, I do not know what I would do if someone confronted me using this name. It is an 'oath' of sorts to keep our identies private. Sure hope this will never happen again to you or any of us.
And while on the subject - we should all be very careful not to reveal locations of others here as well..
copperhead said:
we should all be very careful not to reveal locations of others here as well.
Probably too late to help me!
Signed,
arkansawyer

There used to be an innkeeper on this forum who had a user id with another state in their user id, which always made me laugh, it was one way to throw people off! Talk about moving target. :)

And while on the subject - we should all be very careful not to reveal locations of others here as well..
copperhead said:
Signed,
arkansawyer
arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
Signed,
arkansawyer
If you're in AR, you revealed that yourself!

AKA.."What happens in Vegas..stays in Vegas!" So folks please...whatever we say here...stays here...do not share with your guests...PLEASE.
shades_smile.gif

Did you ask him why he thought your name was Morticia?.
Didn't have to, he started off the conversation by telling me he talked with other innkeepers who called me that and said they knew me in an online group.
That is really creepy. And just not cool.
If you wanted to be known, you'd use your real name. It's really simple. Everyone here should respect that.
And even if you were using your real name and were easily found (like many of us), the discussions here are between innkeepers. Those discussions are not meant to be shared with guests.

copperhead said:
Signed,
arkansawyer
You could change your ID - start anew...that would help.

AKA.."What happens in Vegas..stays in Vegas!" So folks please...whatever we say here...stays here...do not share with your guests...PLEASE.
shades_smile.gif
catlady said:
shades_smile.gif
Ditto.

copperhead said:
Signed,
arkansawyer
arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
Signed,
arkansawyer
Morticia said:
Yep, I know. I don't see giving away my state as any problem. Saying I'm from Arkansas generally helps lower people's expectations of me!
regular_smile.gif

copperhead said:
Signed,
arkansawyer
arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
Signed,
arkansawyer
Morticia said:
Yep, I know. I don't see giving away my state as any problem. Saying I'm from Arkansas generally helps lower people's expectations of me!
regular_smile.gif

arkansawyer said:
Morticia said:
regular_smile.gif
My grandfather was from Arkansas. Moved to CA during the Dust bowl Era like all the rest of the John Steinbeck Grapes of Wrath migrant workers/families. Nana and Grandpa played with John's nephew when they were just kids and he wrote the stories about those families there (including ours). So I have great respect for Arkansas.
cheers.gif

Back