What happens when you reach your goal?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happykeeper

Reaction score
I have been thinking a fair amount lately about where we go next. When I searched, "What to do when your business reaches it goals.", I was greeted with endless articles about how to reach your goals. I tried to refine my intent a little yet each search resulted in assumption that the goal has not been reached. I guessed that maybe the assumption is that once you reach a goal, you make new ones and start over.
So I read the following...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericwagner/2013/09/12/five-reasons-8-out-of-10-businesses-fail/
Found a few gems that helped me rethink where we might go next. Thought I might share it. The snippets that I liked? "Nail it, then scale it." "Fail fast" and the solution to #2.

I can not vision ever reaching all my goals. But my business plan of 12 &1/2 years ago is done. Good article but generic to suit all . Still more to do, always have ideas in my noggin roaming around. and around. Dreaming, not really as my environment changes so that impact's my business ( town growth ,town changes, business's close by, etc. etc. ) Goals are always changing, forever.

I can not vision ever reaching all my goals. But my business plan of 12 &1/2 years ago is done. Good article but generic to suit all . Still more to do, always have ideas in my noggin roaming around. and around. Dreaming, not really as my environment changes so that impact's my business ( town growth ,town changes, business's close by, etc. etc. ) Goals are always changing, forever..
I guess that kind of sums it up. I was referring to the specific goals in our business plan and the message I got was, "it was time to make new ones."
Although I agree it was generic in nature, it was easy to translate into innkeeping for me. Knowing your guest and developing a niche market. Raising your rates to monetize your business.
Heaven help me if I ever reach ALL of my goals.

We reached our goal last year - stay in biz for 10 years, renovate the entire building. The next goal is to get the place ready to sell. Festive drinks on the beach here I come!

Back