What happens...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
You're sitting around thinking things are ok when life happens...
  • Boiler blows up sometime in the night, spraying hot water all over the cellar floor all night long;
  • Hot water tank goes, too;
  • All guests asked to vacate premises, find them alternate lodging, lose 5 nights' income and anything we could have gotten for the next 3 days;
  • Getting electric heater out of storage in the attic break full length mirror in guest room;
  • Try to buy new mirror, nothing in the same size;
  • New download on accounting software locks up and won't allow entry into books;
  • Trying to relax, mouse runs by into kitchen;
  • But, the worst for today by far, is our dog needs to be put down, most likely tomorrow. And with all the other crap going on, it's hard to have a nice, quiet last day/evening with her.
Some days/weeks/months/years it feels like we just can't catch a break. (This all on the heels of last weekend's debacle with no power.)

Alibi Ike said:
  • But, the worst for today by far, is our dog needs to be put down, most likely tomorrow. And with all the other crap going on, it's hard to have a nice, quiet last day/evening with her.
SO sorry to hear this... I feel your pain. Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables has the best line when it comes to grieving: "the tears don't hurt like the ache does".
heart.gif

I am so sorry about your family member- she IS a family member. The other things will go on. Losing her will still be there. Having had to say the goodbye, I do know how it hurts.

I am so, so sorry to hear about your dog; and that there is so much else going wrong at the same time. I hope that most of the other things can be put on hold for a day and that you can have some quiet time together. My heart aches.

Oh Ike, I'm so sorry to hear about all your troubles. Wish I could do more for you than send an e-hug

Sorry to hear about all the mechanical failures. And most of all sorry about your dog. That is sad. Greiving is bad enough, greiving as an innkeeper is the worst.

Hang in there. So, sorry about everything. We're all thinking about you.

Oh I am so sorry to hear all of this bad news especially about the dog :-( Hang in there, things can only get better. I am thinking about you.

So sorry to hear about your problems, bus mostly about your sweet little dog. We lost Sasha about 3 months ago and still walk downstairs to walk him. It's an awful experience and so hard on your kids too. Our hopes that all resolves quickly and more bookings come in after all is back up and running.
Riki

Thinking of you. So sorry. I hope you can find some private time to deal with your sadness. As Swirt said, it's hard to grieve as an innkeeper. Especially if you'd like to keep the details to yourself a bit.
I hope knowing this community of folks-you-know and folks-you-don't-know is helpful...We're all wishing you well.

I know this is the least of your troubles but with the mirror if you get a bigger mirror piece any glass cutting company can cut it to size or sometimes do mirrors to order so thats worth looking into as they are always cheaper than the high street. Sorry about your dog its awful and the bookings and everything its the last thing you need
sad_smile.gif

Thanks everyone. She's proving to me we're making the right decision at the right time.

omg, Ike! What a cascade of events. I know how hard it is with your beloved pet. We lost both of ours in the same year. {{{{{{big hugs}}}}}}

omg, Ike! What a cascade of events. I know how hard it is with your beloved pet. We lost both of ours in the same year. {{{{{{big hugs}}}}}}

Well, looks like the new boiler will save us 40% and be immensely quieter. I went out and took pix of it to hang up on my bulletin board. "My Italian Vacation."
cry_smile.gif

And we get a completely relined chimney to boot, so that's a good thing.
Whacked that mouse as well.
We were able to save one reservation in a room that shares the heat & hot water with the innkeeper apt, so that's a mixed blessing. Not sure how I will cope, I pretty much abandonded the guests this morning after I served them.
Thanks for all the kind words good friends. We're off to the vet's now. I think I'll come back, crawl into bed and get up tomorrow. It'll be awfully quiet without her snoring all night, but the pain will be over for her.

Ditto from us-for all that has happened. Keeping you in out thoughts-havent been in for a while but its been nice catching up!

OMG - How did I miss this???? I'm so very sorry.
Similar (but nowhere near so horribly hectic) thing happened with our cat .... went down hill very fast - obvious what had to be done and done soon. I needed one more night with her - it was New Year's Eve and a full house. It took everything I had to be nice the next morning and not just burst into tears and ask them all to "please go away - NOW".
All my love and sympathy.

Sorry to hear about your difficult week also but I am most concerned about your boiler. I mean.....replacing ours costs a small fortune.
We are presently having ours replaced and it is costing us over $25,000 so that is why I am so concered about yours.

Back