What Have You Done To Get Facebook Likes?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Don't seem to have enough people who have "liked" our B&B on facebook. Well, okay, not enough for me. So what ideas do you have that can get people to actually "like" us on facebook? Get the a$$e$ into the seats, as they say.

I set up a Facebook ad, with $5/day budget, and ran it for a week, set to display only to people in my target area (within 20 miles of Memphis) and my target demographic (fit into ANY of the following based on their FB profile or browsing habits):
  • age 30 and up
  • engaged to be married
  • baby boomers
  • interested in "house and garden"
  • Interested in traveling
  • have a birthday coming up
  • newly weds
  • have a new serious relationship
So I spent $35 over a week's time and increased my number of likes by about 10X. But I was starting with very few likes. As far as I know, none of these new likes have booked yet, but it only takes one to pay for the ads, so I'm patiently waiting.

BD ran a promotion that got a lot of likes. Mine are all organic. Someone finds us, likes us and then their friends do the same. It works out to about 1 new like/week. Not going like gangbusters at all.

I ran a contest that took me from 611 likes to 2,265. I subsequently found out that it's against FB rules to do a contest without using a 3rd party app.

I ran a contest that took me from 611 likes to 2,265. I subsequently found out that it's against FB rules to do a contest without using a 3rd party app..
Breakfast Diva said:
I subsequently found out that it's against FB rules to do a contest without using a 3rd party app.
They just announced that they have lifted that restriction. https://www.facebook.com/facebookforbusiness/news/page-promotions-terms
muirford said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I subsequently found out that it's against FB rules to do a contest without using a 3rd party app.
They just announced that they have lifted that restriction. https://www.facebook.com/facebookforbusiness/news/page-promotions-terms
Thanks Jeanne! It seems they've loosed it up, but still do not allow you to make 'share' a part of the promotion. It's because of the 'shares' I gained so many new 'likes'. I see why they don't want the 'shares', because depending on privacy settings, you can't see a lot of people's 'shares'. What I did was include all my old 'likes', then kept track of all the new 'likes'. I used a randomizer with all the names.
Here's what FB says about the 'shares' now: 3. Promotions may be administered on Pages or within apps on Facebook. Personal Timelines must not be used to administer promotions (ex: “share on your Timeline to enter” or “share on your friend's Timeline to get additional entries” is not permitted).

I ran a contest that took me from 611 likes to 2,265. I subsequently found out that it's against FB rules to do a contest without using a 3rd party app..
Breakfast Diva said:
I ran a contest that took me from 611 likes to 2,265. I subsequently found out that it's against FB rules to do a contest without using a 3rd party app.
Not any more. That changed this past week.
Will prob change next week again...

I have done nothing. About 100 of the "likes" came from fb friends which actually include a lot of my guests. I have relatively few "likes" but that's alright. I am proud of the fact that they came organically. These are likes from people who have stayed here, who stay here a lot - people who like us
wink_smile.gif

Back