What I did the day before yesterday

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
Turned this: (9 a.m.)
610-1.jpg
610-9.jpg
610-10.jpg
610-11.jpg

Into this: (6 p.m.)
610-5.jpg
610-4.jpg
610-7.jpg
610-3.jpg

610-12.jpg
610-6.jpg
610-13.jpg

Naturally, the first of the two guests in the room showed up at 4:30...
=) Kk.

Looks great! When they showed up an hour and a half before it was ready, you said ???

Looks great! When they showed up an hour and a half before it was ready, you said ???.
Of course they did! On the rez they said 5-6 p.m., so at 4:30 I was coming along nicely, and the contractor was out back loading up his stuff, but I still hadn't washed the floor or put sheets on the bed. She was gracious, and in a hurry to go to dinner, so it was fine. When she came back all was gorgeous.
=) Kk.

Nice work! I love before and after photos. I've got LOTS of restoration photos, having been refitting (that's a "nautical" for the term, remodeling) for two years. I usually fail to get the true "before" photo and usually ending up with an "in progress" and "after" set of photos, instead.

Wanns know what is funny? At first, in the before pics my eye went right to those two water bottles. I had to laugh and thought, sheesh everywhere we go even the dude remodeling the bathroom has those water bottles right there!
Then I noticed toward the AFTER shots that they would be the guests complimentary waters. That BLUE label juts right out at you.If it weren;t for those I would have thought that was an original shot of the room (with the vintage furniture and colors). Nice. Very inviting. Can't wait to see it all on your website. Name of this room (so I can keep track in my mind)? History Dept?

Congratulations! You really made great use of all available space. Love the bathroom, the sink, tub, very clever. Good luck!

Looks great! When they showed up an hour and a half before it was ready, you said ???.
I just realized I misread your post...
I said, "Oh no! It's not ready!" She said she just wanted to drop off her clothes and head to dinner. As she was writing a check I ran up and threw the comforter on the bed so she wouldn't notice it didn't have sheets yet.
=) Kk.

Nice work! I love before and after photos. I've got LOTS of restoration photos, having been refitting (that's a "nautical" for the term, remodeling) for two years. I usually fail to get the true "before" photo and usually ending up with an "in progress" and "after" set of photos, instead..
These were definitely "in progress" shots! The bathroom is one of two created out of an old bathroom and a skinny closet. I stripped the old wall paper myself, and hung the new one night after the kids were asleep. We had it all pretty for our open house on june 1st (which is why some of the guest amenities are in there with the construction clutter), but the contractor had to finish trimming out and hanging the bathroom and closet doors, installing the bathroom hardware, connecting the sink and shower, stuff like that.
=) Kk.

WOW..nothing like cutting it close. Glad it all worked out for you!.
Yeah, way too close. It was supposed to be done by June 1st! Then, sure, we can have them done by the 10th... Well, the one with the reservation got done, the other is close... needs a shower door, entry door, hardware, and we'll have our fourth room open.
=) Kk.

Wanns know what is funny? At first, in the before pics my eye went right to those two water bottles. I had to laugh and thought, sheesh everywhere we go even the dude remodeling the bathroom has those water bottles right there!
Then I noticed toward the AFTER shots that they would be the guests complimentary waters. That BLUE label juts right out at you.If it weren;t for those I would have thought that was an original shot of the room (with the vintage furniture and colors). Nice. Very inviting. Can't wait to see it all on your website. Name of this room (so I can keep track in my mind)? History Dept?.
English Department, although much of the decor is actually Italianate...
You'll know the History Dept. when you see it... it has fabulous red, white, and blue curtains... made from bunting!!!
=) Kk.

I said, "Oh no! It's not ready!" She said she just wanted to drop off her clothes and head to dinner. As she was writing a check I ran up and threw the comforter on the bed so she wouldn't notice it didn't have sheets yet.
=) Kk.
Great job...and these are the kind of stories that will stick with you as a good memory.
I may have mentioned before that the weekend we opened was the weekend of the big blackout here in the Northeast. We had been without power for 3 days (here in the country that means without water too) and we had two couples inbound. They were calling from every place they stopped to see if we had power yet. On the last call, they were 20 minutes away and the power came on while we were on the phone with them. We had been doing last minute construction the days before and the morning of so their was lots of crud that needed to be vacuumed (it was more than sweeping could handle) so we ran around like crazy and our neighbor even came over to help us vacuum while I cleaned what needed water to be cleaned ... little did I realize that bathrooms would become my job from that day forward. We finished up literally as they pulled in the driveway. We were frazzled...not to mention we hadn't showered in 3 days...I'm sure we were a sight...but the guests had a great time and were very supportive and understanding.

Congratulations! You really made great use of all available space. Love the bathroom, the sink, tub, very clever. Good luck!.
Hi SecondAct, Good to see you here and welcome to INNspiring.com.

=) Kk.
Great job...and these are the kind of stories that will stick with you as a good memory.
I may have mentioned before that the weekend we opened was the weekend of the big blackout here in the Northeast. We had been without power for 3 days (here in the country that means without water too) and we had two couples inbound. They were calling from every place they stopped to see if we had power yet. On the last call, they were 20 minutes away and the power came on while we were on the phone with them. We had been doing last minute construction the days before and the morning of so their was lots of crud that needed to be vacuumed (it was more than sweeping could handle) so we ran around like crazy and our neighbor even came over to help us vacuum while I cleaned what needed water to be cleaned ... little did I realize that bathrooms would become my job from that day forward. We finished up literally as they pulled in the driveway. We were frazzled...not to mention we hadn't showered in 3 days...I'm sure we were a sight...but the guests had a great time and were very supportive and understanding.
OMG! You opened THAT weekend? I remember that blackout, even though we were on the East Coast we didn't lose power, while relatives here in Ohio were sweltering and my sister lost a freezer full of food.
Yes... astonishing what needs cleaned. That room had been spotless for the open house... dh and I were up past two making it marvelous. I didn't take the spread and waters and things out because they were just going to trim out the door and finish up the paint. Well... something about routing the doors creating some dust. Some? Argghh! Not only did I have to reclean the entire room from top to bottom, I had to clean all the amenties and decor that I could have removed before the construction!
These guests have also been supportive. Tonight I showed them what the room looked like that morning as we drank wine in the screened in patio.
=) Kk.

Wow!!
Weren't you originally just going to have tub/shower combos or showers?
wink_smile.gif
And no TVs in the rooms? Some of us have corrupted you, I fear. tee hee.....

Wow!!
wink_smile.gif
And no TVs in the rooms? Some of us have corrupted you, I fear. tee hee......
That wasn't me... we always were TV's in rooms. As far as tubs... it was mostly about what we could fit where and what we had money for. Frankly, I'm astonished we fit that tub in that room... it literally takes up half the space. We made a "bump" between the two bathrooms so that each sink sits in a recess to make it a little more spacious. The available space was a rectangle. The new bathrooms are almost square, but the wall between them is makes two 90 degree turns ----------|_________.
=) Kk.

Wow!!
wink_smile.gif
And no TVs in the rooms? Some of us have corrupted you, I fear. tee hee......
That wasn't me... we always were TV's in rooms. As far as tubs... it was mostly about what we could fit where and what we had money for. Frankly, I'm astonished we fit that tub in that room... it literally takes up half the space. We made a "bump" between the two bathrooms so that each sink sits in a recess to make it a little more spacious. The available space was a rectangle. The new bathrooms are almost square, but the wall between them is makes two 90 degree turns ----------|_________.
=) Kk.
Hmmm...I could have sworn that was you :)
Glad to see you fit them in. Your baths look really nice!!

Then I noticed toward the AFTER shots that they would be the guests complimentary waters. That BLUE label juts right out at you.If it weren;t for those I would have thought that was an original shot of the room (with the vintage furniture and colors). Nice. Very inviting. Can't wait to see it all on your website. Name of this room (so I can keep track in my mind)? History Dept?.
English Department, although much of the decor is actually Italianate...
You'll know the History Dept. when you see it... it has fabulous red, white, and blue curtains... made from bunting!!!
=) Kk.
Where did you find your bunting? I am wanting to make those fan type things you hang. Saw some at Shopko yesterday, but they were small and $12.
Your work looks great. We finished the suite we were working on. DH is going to replace the back door and I will need to finish and paint around it. But existing works too. Will get pictures on web site soon. Way to go.

Back