What I hate about FB

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my previous post about immediate interaction from guests after you post is accurate. My free room contest is almost over, so I just did my last reminder post. Within 12 minutes, I had 25 'shares', 24 'likes' and 4 comments. The stats tell me that it's been seen by 510 people (251 organic and 268 viral). That's very fast and GREAT numbers.
My previous post of a beautiful photo of the area 2 days ago got no shares, 32 'likes' and reached a total of 341 people (315 organic and 31 viral).
I guess our job is to try to figure out how to get the most people interacting with each post. That's pretty tough! My contest has had great results, but we can't possibly run contests all the time. I'm sure I'm going to lose a significant number of fans after the contest is over and have no idea of the long term effectiveness is of this contest, but it will be interesting to watch over time..
Your promotion was just shared by one of my FB friends. Way to go! Looks great!
Anon Inn said:
Your promotion was just shared by one of my FB friends. Way to go! Looks great!
6 degrees of separation. Very Cool!

I think my previous post about immediate interaction from guests after you post is accurate. My free room contest is almost over, so I just did my last reminder post. Within 12 minutes, I had 25 'shares', 24 'likes' and 4 comments. The stats tell me that it's been seen by 510 people (251 organic and 268 viral). That's very fast and GREAT numbers.
My previous post of a beautiful photo of the area 2 days ago got no shares, 32 'likes' and reached a total of 341 people (315 organic and 31 viral).
I guess our job is to try to figure out how to get the most people interacting with each post. That's pretty tough! My contest has had great results, but we can't possibly run contests all the time. I'm sure I'm going to lose a significant number of fans after the contest is over and have no idea of the long term effectiveness is of this contest, but it will be interesting to watch over time..
Results please!

I really don't understand how any of these things work, if they even work ;)
But I am a firm believer in not inundating readers with incessant posting. I try to keep it to one post per day. I have "un-liked" quite a few fb pages because I was sick of the constant postings.
Personally I am not happy with the relatively few responses I get to some of my postings but there is always a response and I make dang sure that I immediately answer it by either clicking "like" or with a verbal response.
I used to share occasional posts from other businesses in the area, for promotions sake, but largely refrain from that now because very few do it for me.

Results please!
Skamokawa said:
Results please!
The contest is now over and here's the results:
  • Went from 611 fans to 2,269!
  • In the 8 hours since the contest finished we've lost 12 fans...I expect a lot more, but that's to be expected. I figure those who leave are not ever going to be our guests anyway.
  • I posted the contest 3 separate times over the month and with each subsequent posts, the 'organic' views (our fans) got less and 'viral' (non fans) increased significantly. The last post had 1,504 organic and 59,456 'viral'. I think that's significant. It never hurts to get your name seen.
  • Total views when the 3 posts were combined was 186,509 and 2726 'shares'. The shares are really great because you know that that many not only saw the post but were engaged and saw it over and over on their own page.
  • I've gotten a couple phone calls from people with questions about staying. There are a few posts from people who I believe will actually make a reservation, but we'll see!
  • To try and nab some action, I posted a Thank You Face Book offer for only those who participated in the contest. If they book a room by April 30th for a stay any time this year, they will receive a chilled bottle of sparkling cider, chocolate truffles and 2 engraved Sandlake Country Inn champagne flutes to take home. I created a discount code in ResKey.
  • Before the contest my posts were 'viewed' anywhere from 60-300+ Now my posts are varying from 1,000-3,000 'views'.
  • Most of our new 'fans' are within our typical market area. That surprised me!
Overall, I think it's been very successful. Only the future will tell if it generates more reservations, but hey, it's been fun doing it and it's been amazing interacting with all these people. I was also quite humbled by some of their responses and how our past guests/fans wrote some beautiful posts.

But I am a firm believer in not inundating readers with incessant posting. I try to keep it to one post per day. I have "un-liked" quite a few fb pages because I was sick of the constant postings.
Personally I am not happy with the relatively few responses I get to some of my postings but there is always a response and I make dang sure that I immediately answer it by either clicking "like" or with a verbal response.
I used to share occasional posts from other businesses in the area, for promotions sake, but largely refrain from that now because very few do it for me..
I think you're right about being careful not to innundate your fans with posts. With all my new fans I'm going to have to really test the water on how often to post. I don't want to lose any more of them that is necessary.
As far as posting what other businesses are doing, I do it anyway if I think it's of interest to my guests and it might make them come to the area. Very rarely has another business in my area posted anything from me. It's annoying, but if it helps get interest in the area, I'll do it.

Results please!
Skamokawa said:
Results please!
The contest is now over and here's the results:
  • Went from 611 fans to 2,269!
  • In the 8 hours since the contest finished we've lost 12 fans...I expect a lot more, but that's to be expected. I figure those who leave are not ever going to be our guests anyway.
  • I posted the contest 3 separate times over the month and with each subsequent posts, the 'organic' views (our fans) got less and 'viral' (non fans) increased significantly. The last post had 1,504 organic and 59,456 'viral'. I think that's significant. It never hurts to get your name seen.
  • Total views when the 3 posts were combined was 186,509 and 2726 'shares'. The shares are really great because you know that that many not only saw the post but were engaged and saw it over and over on their own page.
  • I've gotten a couple phone calls from people with questions about staying. There are a few posts from people who I believe will actually make a reservation, but we'll see!
  • To try and nab some action, I posted a Thank You Face Book offer for only those who participated in the contest. If they book a room by April 30th for a stay any time this year, they will receive a chilled bottle of sparkling cider, chocolate truffles and 2 engraved Sandlake Country Inn champagne flutes to take home. I created a discount code in ResKey.
  • Before the contest my posts were 'viewed' anywhere from 60-300+ Now my posts are varying from 1,000-3,000 'views'.
  • Most of our new 'fans' are within our typical market area. That surprised me!
Overall, I think it's been very successful. Only the future will tell if it generates more reservations, but hey, it's been fun doing it and it's been amazing interacting with all these people. I was also quite humbled by some of their responses and how our past guests/fans wrote some beautiful posts.
Those are some great stats!
I think there may be a tipping point where this sort of contest works. It's probably not a good 'right out of the box' plan, but one that works better when you already have engaged viewers who will spread the word.

I used to share occasional posts from other businesses in the area, for promotions sake, but largely refrain from that now because very few do it for me..
I think you're right about being careful not to innundate your fans with posts. With all my new fans I'm going to have to really test the water on how often to post. I don't want to lose any more of them that is necessary.
As far as posting what other businesses are doing, I do it anyway if I think it's of interest to my guests and it might make them come to the area. Very rarely has another business in my area posted anything from me. It's annoying, but if it helps get interest in the area, I'll do it.
Yes true. Sometimes my "angry" Iris comes out and doesn't think of the greater good. LOL
Another thing I don't like about businesses posting is when they do not respond when someone takes the time to comment on their posts. All it takes is to click the "like" button to acknowledge that. Oh, I have many pet peeves but I'll stop now because I know that I am not perfect either. I know, hard to believe, heehee

Yes true. Sometimes my "angry" Iris comes out and doesn't think of the greater good. LOL
Another thing I don't like about businesses posting is when they do not respond when someone takes the time to comment on their posts. All it takes is to click the "like" button to acknowledge that. Oh, I have many pet peeves but I'll stop now because I know that I am not perfect either. I know, hard to believe, heehee
You're not the only one that annoys!
One of the posts I got last night on FB was from someone who I had responded to their post and they not only are planning to stay with us, but said " I heard nothing but good about your place. We are excited to check it out with the family for sure. I found (our area) very relaxing and calming and with all the surgeries and hard times we have gone through, we are definitely ready for some luxurious! I also want to thank you guys for responding. Most site's won't. You guys are awesome!"
Sheesh, isn't the point of social media is to be social?

One of the posts I got last night on FB was from someone who I had responded to their post and they not only are planning to stay with us, but said " I heard nothing but good about your place. We are excited to check it out with the family for sure. I found (our area) very relaxing and calming and with all the surgeries and hard times we have gone through, we are definitely ready for some luxurious! I also want to thank you guys for responding. Most site's won't. You guys are awesome!"
You would think that was the point!
There are a couple of places in town I think certain guests would like so I used to share the events they had. But when they wouldn't even answer questions I had I stopped sharing.
Something new on FB is that you, as the biz, can now respond directly to a particular comment. Rather than finding it in amongst other comments and having to mention the person's name in your reply so everyone knows who you are replying to. So, if you make a comment I can click a reply button under your comment and respond to your post only rather than my reply showing up 10 comments after yours. It's a nice feature.

exactly that's what it's all about
lightbulb.gif
Hellooooo

There are a couple of places in town I think certain guests would like so I used to share the events they had. But when they wouldn't even answer questions I had I stopped sharing.
Something new on FB is that you, as the biz, can now respond directly to a particular comment. Rather than finding it in amongst other comments and having to mention the person's name in your reply so everyone knows who you are replying to. So, if you make a comment I can click a reply button under your comment and respond to your post only rather than my reply showing up 10 comments after yours. It's a nice feature.
I love the reply feature too. It's just cleaner looking but most businesses don't know that you need to actually turn it on in the settings.
That's another for the list of "if you do something, do it right"

I thought I would like the reply feature, but it was all screwed up in my last contest post where there were so many comments it was just confusing. It turns out that folks (not the original poster that I replied to) would also be hidden in the reply. What that meant is that I would get the notice up top on the admin page that "John Doe' posted on a certain post, but then I had to search long and hard to find his post and it was actually in a 'reply' section of someone else's post. Took me a lot longer to find than usual.
If there are not a lot of comments on a post I can see where it would be easier.

I thought I would like the reply feature, but it was all screwed up in my last contest post where there were so many comments it was just confusing. It turns out that folks (not the original poster that I replied to) would also be hidden in the reply. What that meant is that I would get the notice up top on the admin page that "John Doe' posted on a certain post, but then I had to search long and hard to find his post and it was actually in a 'reply' section of someone else's post. Took me a lot longer to find than usual.
If there are not a lot of comments on a post I can see where it would be easier.
Yeah, there's the difference...I don't get a lot of comments! Not like your contest did. I would think with the contest running you would have just had to sit there and do nothing but respond to all the comments. I think this is why big companies hire someone to do nothing but social.

I see your posts on FB everyday, but I have stopped commenting very much on public pages because the comments show up when I Goog le myself! What the?
Facebook...fun and interesting, but even with privacy settings locked down, it opens up a LOT of your info.

I see your posts on FB everyday, but I have stopped commenting very much on public pages because the comments show up when I Goog le myself! What the?
Facebook...fun and interesting, but even with privacy settings locked down, it opens up a LOT of your info..
Very interesting! I just googled my name and found 1 FB post I did on a public utility FB page. I didn't realize it would show up on google. I'm very careful about what I do on my personal page, and now I'm so glad!!
This must an example of google starting to index FB pages, hence, no duplicate content on our biz page should be happening.
Thanks for the heads up!

I, too, have unliked a few business pages lately. And their activity has caused me to change how I'm acting on our business page. If you Like a post, the entire post shows up in your fan's feeds. I had a habit of liking specific posts from my target area which had alot of activity because our Inn name would then show up for others to see. I've received alot of new Fans this way (one recently from a Southern Living Magazine post). But, I've really cut back on that because I don't want to lose fans. I'm now only liking things that I think my fans would want to see - local businesses, activities, Georgia history, etc.
I've seen a HUGE drop in activity - likes, comments and views. A pic this morning about a local activity got 29 views and no comments. A pic yesterday from the office got 7 comments, 9 likes and was seen by 201 people.

I, too, have unliked a few business pages lately. And their activity has caused me to change how I'm acting on our business page. If you Like a post, the entire post shows up in your fan's feeds. I had a habit of liking specific posts from my target area which had alot of activity because our Inn name would then show up for others to see. I've received alot of new Fans this way (one recently from a Southern Living Magazine post). But, I've really cut back on that because I don't want to lose fans. I'm now only liking things that I think my fans would want to see - local businesses, activities, Georgia history, etc.
I've seen a HUGE drop in activity - likes, comments and views. A pic this morning about a local activity got 29 views and no comments. A pic yesterday from the office got 7 comments, 9 likes and was seen by 201 people.
Do what you can do, the algorithms are an enigma.
We 42K fans on one site I admin, and it is PAY or else, really. We have limited posting, or else we lose a lot of views. People need to be active on our page to get our feed regular. People are like "Why are there no updates!" they go TO THE PAGE and find we do two and sometimes three per day. Any more than that we are penalized.
I shared this with photo of John Carter Cash and had 23 likes and 3,467 people saw it out of 42,142 followers.
"Bringing Cash" The Gathering in the Gap Music Festival Saturday, May 25, 2013, will celebrate the Southwest Virginia Museum Historical State Park with a new and impressive lineup featuring John Carter Cash.

Just had a friend stop by who practically lives on fb. He said for a business, he thinks one post per day is enough, more than that and he is inclined to stop going there. Interesting. I have been doing two posts, or maybe three plus checking for comments. Too much? Too Little? Must admit when I got the salt out of the cupboard this morning, I saw a fb on it and thought....WHY?

Just had a friend stop by who practically lives on fb. He said for a business, he thinks one post per day is enough, more than that and he is inclined to stop going there. Interesting. I have been doing two posts, or maybe three plus checking for comments. Too much? Too Little? Must admit when I got the salt out of the cupboard this morning, I saw a fb on it and thought....WHY?.
I try to not do more than 1 post per day. I'll also go a couple of days without posting sometimes. I think your friend is right.
I've been surprised that more people haven't 'unliked' my page after the contest ended. I lost only 12, then got a couple more likes, so I'm only down 8 'likes' so far. But, as has been discussed, only some of them are getting my posts anyway.

Just had a friend stop by who practically lives on fb. He said for a business, he thinks one post per day is enough, more than that and he is inclined to stop going there. Interesting. I have been doing two posts, or maybe three plus checking for comments. Too much? Too Little? Must admit when I got the salt out of the cupboard this morning, I saw a fb on it and thought....WHY?.
I try to not do more than 1 post per day. I'll also go a couple of days without posting sometimes. I think your friend is right.
I've been surprised that more people haven't 'unliked' my page after the contest ended. I lost only 12, then got a couple more likes, so I'm only down 8 'likes' so far. But, as has been discussed, only some of them are getting my posts anyway.
Thanks, I think I will try to do less and give it better content, makes it easier for me too :)

Back