What I hate about FB

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a friend stop by who practically lives on fb. He said for a business, he thinks one post per day is enough, more than that and he is inclined to stop going there. Interesting. I have been doing two posts, or maybe three plus checking for comments. Too much? Too Little? Must admit when I got the salt out of the cupboard this morning, I saw a fb on it and thought....WHY?.
I really don't think that one post per day is enough. I know we don't want to alienate your Fans, but consider how long any of us are on our personal FB pages at one given time. I might be on there for 5-20 minutes max. And then I'll go on again in a few hours (I have a home-based biz, so it's my form of goofing off). So, if a business just posts once that day, the chances of me seeing it while I'm on FB are rare. If that business posts once every two hours or even three times a day, there's a greater chance I'll see it. Now, that also depends on how many friends someone has and how busy their feed is. But, the goal isn't to have a nice wall for someone who goes straight to your wall to see your activity. The goal is to get your name in front of your fans in their feed.
That said, I have curbed my activity quite a bit from seeing what others were doing which annoyed me. But, my Fan count continues to climb.
UPDATE: Ok, I just found the stats for likes & unlikes. We lost 6 in Jan, 3 in Feb and 1 in March. I think this decrease is due to the change in my activity. Interesting...

I apologize to all those I annoy on FB. :)
But if anyone wants to follow our Biz Page click here. I will be lovingly annoying...I promise!

Just had a friend stop by who practically lives on fb. He said for a business, he thinks one post per day is enough, more than that and he is inclined to stop going there. Interesting. I have been doing two posts, or maybe three plus checking for comments. Too much? Too Little? Must admit when I got the salt out of the cupboard this morning, I saw a fb on it and thought....WHY?.
I really don't think that one post per day is enough. I know we don't want to alienate your Fans, but consider how long any of us are on our personal FB pages at one given time. I might be on there for 5-20 minutes max. And then I'll go on again in a few hours (I have a home-based biz, so it's my form of goofing off). So, if a business just posts once that day, the chances of me seeing it while I'm on FB are rare. If that business posts once every two hours or even three times a day, there's a greater chance I'll see it. Now, that also depends on how many friends someone has and how busy their feed is. But, the goal isn't to have a nice wall for someone who goes straight to your wall to see your activity. The goal is to get your name in front of your fans in their feed.
That said, I have curbed my activity quite a bit from seeing what others were doing which annoyed me. But, my Fan count continues to climb.
UPDATE: Ok, I just found the stats for likes & unlikes. We lost 6 in Jan, 3 in Feb and 1 in March. I think this decrease is due to the change in my activity. Interesting...
K-9 don't stop what you are doing on FB. I get your posts and they are ALWAYS inviting, and interesting. WHY? THE BIG PHOTOS! I looked at a couple others and they don't have ANY large images, and I will confess, I NEVER open their posts in my news feed. In fact, they are boring.
Go to a few B&B pages and then page down and see if any theme jumps out at you. Yours, my favorite Craigend B&B, a couple down unda (and mine, yes I will say it here) is TOURISM and FUN. Tourism not meaning theme parks, but natural sights of interest, animals, and other things I might like to encounter. Old trains. Funky event. I see fun! I want to go there, to see and do all those things. I see a connection to the community, a knowledge of what there is to do there, innsider innformation.
Keep up the good work! I am not flattering you, I am being honest. Well done.

K-9 don't stop what you are doing on FB. I get your posts and they are ALWAYS inviting, and interesting. WHY? THE BIG PHOTOS! I looked at a couple others and they don't have ANY large images, and I will confess, I NEVER open their posts in my news feed. In fact, they are boring.
Go to a few B&B pages and then page down and see if any theme jumps out at you. Yours, my favorite Craigend B&B, a couple down unda (and mine, yes I will say it here) is TOURISM and FUN. Tourism not meaning theme parks, but natural sights of interest, animals, and other things I might like to encounter. Old trains. Funky event. I see fun! I want to go there, to see and do all those things. I see a connection to the community, a knowledge of what there is to do there, innsider innformation.
Thanks for posting the link, I see what you mean. I loved that page, the whimsy and humor are very inviting. Will try to keep it to a couple of posts a day, and make it more inviting.

Thanks, JB! I really appreciate the kind words. I think the majority of what I've changed is not Liking every thing I see and spacing out my activity. No one wants to see 7 posts by the same place all in a row. But frequent posts spread throughout the day is more effective me thinks
wink_smile.gif

I am really bummed about the reach of the posts though. Since I've found the stats page, I see that most of my stuff is only getting viewed by 30-40 people. That sucks!! BUT - I keep getting new Fans. I don't know where they are coming from, but that's ok as long as they keep coming.

But if anyone wants to follow our Biz Page click here. I will be lovingly annoying...I promise!.
Joey Bloggs said:
But if anyone wants to follow our Biz Page click here. I will be lovingly annoying...I promise!
I've been following you for a long time and your multiple posts a day don't bother me in the least. I get ideas from them! I think that we (businesses) tend to use FB differently than most of our followers. A regular fan of our page is easier to annoy because they're only mildly curious about us.
omg_smile.gif

I just noticed that a post of mine which just welcomed a few new fans- no pictures - was seen by 162 people! It got no likes or comments. Makes no sense.

I just noticed that a post of mine which just welcomed a few new fans- no pictures - was seen by 162 people! It got no likes or comments. Makes no sense..
Last week or so I included a link to a contest. 30+ people saw that. This week I broke the link and said to cut and paste it instead. 130+ saw that. And one of my fans 'unbroke' the link but it was in a comment NOT from me. FB does not like it when you try to link to something. They want you to pay to push that post.
I've noticed the photo thing doesn't get me much traction either. Not unless it's a really fab pic and everyone shares it or likes it.
Now, when I was posting pix of the piles of snow, that got a lot of traction. So maybe the other pix I post are boring!

I just noticed that a post of mine which just welcomed a few new fans- no pictures - was seen by 162 people! It got no likes or comments. Makes no sense..
Last week or so I included a link to a contest. 30+ people saw that. This week I broke the link and said to cut and paste it instead. 130+ saw that. And one of my fans 'unbroke' the link but it was in a comment NOT from me. FB does not like it when you try to link to something. They want you to pay to push that post.
I've noticed the photo thing doesn't get me much traction either. Not unless it's a really fab pic and everyone shares it or likes it.
Now, when I was posting pix of the piles of snow, that got a lot of traction. So maybe the other pix I post are boring!
Has it ever occurred to you that there may be a FB algorithm that just randomly supplies numbers without actually tracking who sees what?

Has it ever occurred to you that there may be a FB algorithm that just randomly supplies numbers without actually tracking who sees what?
Innkeep said:
Yes! Because there is also the damn chart that shows how many views the page got and mine looks like a roller coaster. I would love to hide that.

Innkeep said:
Yes! Because there is also the damn chart that shows how many views the page got and mine looks like a roller coaster. I would love to hide that.
Nobody else sees that. It's only on your admin page. Hmmm, are you saying that YOU don't even want to see it??

Innkeep said:
Nobody else sees that. It's only on your admin page. Hmmm, are you saying that YOU don't even want to see it??
Yes, I don't want to see it! I know I can click the 'hide' button at the top but by then it's too late. I've seen the roller coaster chart!

How about this one:
I changed my cover photo on the business fbpage. It says that 6 people saw that post. Then how is it that I got 21 likes?
None of these numbers make any sense. I think they employ a random number generator
angel_smile.gif

Some good news about FB. I just got my first real validated reservation from my FB contest, and I received a reservation from a previous guest with the 'thank you' offer I posted after the contest ended. Those two reservations come to $785 and it's only been a week since the contest ended, so it's definitely a success!

Some good news about FB. I just got my first real validated reservation from my FB contest, and I received a reservation from a previous guest with the 'thank you' offer I posted after the contest ended. Those two reservations come to $785 and it's only been a week since the contest ended, so it's definitely a success!.
Excellent!

Some good news about FB. I just got my first real validated reservation from my FB contest, and I received a reservation from a previous guest with the 'thank you' offer I posted after the contest ended. Those two reservations come to $785 and it's only been a week since the contest ended, so it's definitely a success!.
thumbs_up.gif

How about this one:
I changed my cover photo on the business fbpage. It says that 6 people saw that post. Then how is it that I got 21 likes?
None of these numbers make any sense. I think they employ a random number generator
angel_smile.gif
That is strange...
Could it be that the picture was already in your Photos and some of those likes were from the last time you posted it? And the 6 that saw it this time were seeing the "So&So Changed Their Profile Pic" post?

I don't really trust any of the numbers from FB, but I suspect the number of people who "saw" the picture are those people who opened up the photo to see it "full-size" rather than the thumbnail version that shows up in their newsfeed. People don't have to open a photo to "like" it, so if my hypothesis is correct, it is entirely possible that the number of "likes" could greatly exceed the number of people who "saw" the photo.

How about this one:
angel_smile.gif
That is strange...
Could it be that the picture was already in your Photos and some of those likes were from the last time you posted it? And the 6 that saw it this time were seeing the "So&So Changed Their Profile Pic" post?
nope. that's not it. See what I mean by this is all hocus pocus ?
They are trying to drive you guys crazy.

Back