What I hate about FB

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
I post several times a day on my biz FB page. Some days hundreds of 'views' are shown for some lame commentary I make about the weather. Yesterday I posted a link for people to click to vote for us for the best B&B in a local contest. How many of my page's likes did that get pushed to? 64. And, yet, if I right now go and post about the weather hundreds of fans will 'see' that post.
Another reason to hate social media. When I try to 'use' it to encourage business I get nothing.
Posted a pic yesterday because it was international waffle day. Did anyone see that? Few. But I got a ton of 'views' on my comment about the sunshine.

I wonder if it has to do with a post including a link vs. a post that's just words. Try this: Put a post up "Please Vote For Us" blah-blah and send as a regular word post. Then as a comment to that post add the link they should follow. I wonder if that would generate more views...

I wonder if it has to do with a post including a link vs. a post that's just words. Try this: Put a post up "Please Vote For Us" blah-blah and send as a regular word post. Then as a comment to that post add the link they should follow. I wonder if that would generate more views....
It is any 'share' or 'link' that I post that gets almost zero return.

I think people just don't like to follow links? This is why I wonder about doing a blog feed onto fb. May get some to look at it and be interested without following a link... I sure don't know, as the lowest techie in the group. Maybe they just prefer sunshine over waffles :)

FB's algorithims may be sophistocated enough to know when you are trying to promote your business, and only show them to a small percent of your page's fans, unless you pay them.

FB's algorithims may be sophistocated enough to know when you are trying to promote your business, and only show them to a small percent of your page's fans, unless you pay them..
Arkansawyer said:
FB's algorithims may be sophistocated enough to know when you are trying to promote your business, and only show them to a small percent of your page's fans, unless you pay them.
Don't doubt that in the least! But why limit ME promoting someone else's business? And, it doesn't explain why a couple of people on here have gotten 'viral' shares of their biz page's photos. I'm not expecting a pic of a waffle to go viral, but I was expecting that more than a few people would see it.

I think people just don't like to follow links? This is why I wonder about doing a blog feed onto fb. May get some to look at it and be interested without following a link... I sure don't know, as the lowest techie in the group. Maybe they just prefer sunshine over waffles :).
I would not feed my blog to FB or Twitter. I think it's been discussed that putting a teaser on FB about your blog might be more helpful. You're right, tho, that not everyone wants to follow a link they are not really sure was posted by the person they trust.

That's why local newscasts put the weather in the latter part of the show. People turn it off after sports and weather!

This is only a guess, but I think that if you do a post and if nobody 'likes' or 'shares' it immediately, FB gives it no attention. It's all about the interaction, so if nobody interacts, it won't push your feed any further.
I did a survey question a couple of days ago...only 11 responses. It basically went nowhere. On the other hand, I posted a silly picture and fans started 'liking' it right away and it reached thousands...more viral than fans. Go figure!

Timing may also be important. Posts that show up while or just before the bulk of your fan base is perusing their news feed are more likely to garner that "instant" interaction than posts that show up at times when fewer people are online.

Timing may also be important. Posts that show up while or just before the bulk of your fan base is perusing their news feed are more likely to garner that "instant" interaction than posts that show up at times when fewer people are online..
Harborfields said:
Timing may also be important. Posts that show up while or just before the bulk of your fan base is perusing their news feed are more likely to garner that "instant" interaction than posts that show up at times when fewer people are online.
That's why I waited and didn't post the link on the weekend. My fans are off living on the weekends! I will try it again at a different time on a different day. (You probably know the contest I mean from Down East. You should send it out to your fans, too, for best cottages.)

hmmmm ... so make a 'lame commentary about the weather', include a picture and say VOTE FOR US! all in the same post. see what happens.

hmmmm ... so make a 'lame commentary about the weather', include a picture and say VOTE FOR US! all in the same post. see what happens..
It's only the lame commentary that gets anywhere. ;-) Altho, the waffle pic has inched up a bit since Monday.

I think my previous post about immediate interaction from guests after you post is accurate. My free room contest is almost over, so I just did my last reminder post. Within 12 minutes, I had 25 'shares', 24 'likes' and 4 comments. The stats tell me that it's been seen by 510 people (251 organic and 268 viral). That's very fast and GREAT numbers.
My previous post of a beautiful photo of the area 2 days ago got no shares, 32 'likes' and reached a total of 341 people (315 organic and 31 viral).
I guess our job is to try to figure out how to get the most people interacting with each post. That's pretty tough! My contest has had great results, but we can't possibly run contests all the time. I'm sure I'm going to lose a significant number of fans after the contest is over and have no idea of the long term effectiveness is of this contest, but it will be interesting to watch over time.

I think my previous post about immediate interaction from guests after you post is accurate. My free room contest is almost over, so I just did my last reminder post. Within 12 minutes, I had 25 'shares', 24 'likes' and 4 comments. The stats tell me that it's been seen by 510 people (251 organic and 268 viral). That's very fast and GREAT numbers.
My previous post of a beautiful photo of the area 2 days ago got no shares, 32 'likes' and reached a total of 341 people (315 organic and 31 viral).
I guess our job is to try to figure out how to get the most people interacting with each post. That's pretty tough! My contest has had great results, but we can't possibly run contests all the time. I'm sure I'm going to lose a significant number of fans after the contest is over and have no idea of the long term effectiveness is of this contest, but it will be interesting to watch over time..
I'm interested to know how that works out for you!
Yesterday's photos, posted later in the day got off to a slow start but then picked up later on. I'll post the info about the contest again next week but without including a link, just the text.

I guess our job is to try to figure out how to get the most people interacting with each post. That's pretty tough! My contest has had great results, but we can't possibly run contests all the time. I'm sure I'm going to lose a significant number of fans after the contest is over and have no idea of the long term effectiveness is of this contest, but it will be interesting to watch over time..
Very interesting info., Thank you for posting it. Gives me some idea of what the real world is like....I have sooo far to go it is pathetic....sigh....

Very interesting info., Thank you for posting it. Gives me some idea of what the real world is like....I have sooo far to go it is pathetic....sigh....
Everyone starts somewhere. I still don't do Pinterest and have a ton of other innkeepers I know who have been on it for ages.

Everyone starts somewhere. I still don't do Pinterest and have a ton of other innkeepers I know who have been on it for ages.
Thanks for the kind words, having a bad day.

Thanks for the kind words, having a bad day.
I know how you feel about being a novice with FB. I'm a novice with twitter and I feel like a nimrod most of the time with it.

Your promotion was just shared by one of my FB friends. Way to go! Looks great!

Back