What I REALLY wanted to say!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T A published my response to the review..
I read your reply. I would have used it as a free way to advertise without having to pay T/A and pointed out many of the things that you did mention like what is in the refrigerator in the room, in the common refrigerator, when you changed furniture, etc. So that anyone who reads the bad review also gets your positives. Or turn her negatives into other people's positives. Talk yourself up without regard to what she did.
This is what I always say! any review on any site where you have a right to reply is an advertising opportunity - it doesn't matter if it is a good or bad review. ie we went to X bb - not a lot to do - Did you not see XYZ?
and so on.

I'm sorry you've had to go through this, we had a review that Eric alluded to in another thread. A group who were asked to keep the noise down after 23:45 left us a similar spiteful and retaliatory review.
Take heart, once it's buried past page 2 most people wont even see it, and those that do will see it for what it is among all your other great reviews.
I disagree with the general feeling that your management response needs to be consiliatory, I'm afraid that just gives the impression that the points raised valid, too many management responses say “we are sorry it was wrong and we'll look into it”, it's becoming a cliché.
I say go for the jugular, dispute the inconsistencies and down right lies, and I would definitely have included the fact about the dress in the response so people can see this is a retaliation and nothing more.
Several people staying have made reference to our review and they could see it for what it was.
I know it feels like a PR disaster right now, but do you know what effect this terrible review had on our business: NONE.

I'm sorry you've had to go through this, we had a review that Eric alluded to in another thread. A group who were asked to keep the noise down after 23:45 left us a similar spiteful and retaliatory review.
Take heart, once it's buried past page 2 most people wont even see it, and those that do will see it for what it is among all your other great reviews.
I disagree with the general feeling that your management response needs to be consiliatory, I'm afraid that just gives the impression that the points raised valid, too many management responses say “we are sorry it was wrong and we'll look into it”, it's becoming a cliché.
I say go for the jugular, dispute the inconsistencies and down right lies, and I would definitely have included the fact about the dress in the response so people can see this is a retaliation and nothing more.
Several people staying have made reference to our review and they could see it for what it was.
I know it feels like a PR disaster right now, but do you know what effect this terrible review had on our business: NONE..
The only problem we had with our bad reviews is they dropped us way down the list on TA. IMMEDIATELY. Like the next day we fell 4 slots. With other places moving up it has been a struggle to get back where we were because we don't have a lot of reviews. (OK, over 100, but that's not 'a lot' for the 10 years the reviews cover.)
And we need to be back up above the TA ads. Below the ads no one even bothers to look unless the top places are full.
But, yes, the reviews have helped because of what was written. They let guests know things they didn't have to go to the website to find out.
The only place I have been a screaming bitch is on Yelp. But that's the kind of site that expects that.

I know it feels like a PR disaster right now, but do you know what effect this terrible review had on our business: NONE..
The only problem we had with our bad reviews is they dropped us way down the list on TA. IMMEDIATELY. Like the next day we fell 4 slots. With other places moving up it has been a struggle to get back where we were because we don't have a lot of reviews. (OK, over 100, but that's not 'a lot' for the 10 years the reviews cover.)
And we need to be back up above the TA ads. Below the ads no one even bothers to look unless the top places are full.
But, yes, the reviews have helped because of what was written. They let guests know things they didn't have to go to the website to find out.
The only place I have been a screaming bitch is on Yelp. But that's the kind of site that expects that.
But does that really make a difference??
When I had a business listing on ta the number of people clicking on the link from ta to our website was tiny, which lead me to beleive that a lot of people find places to stay and then check them on ta, rather than look for places on ta to start with.
That was 2 years ago, maybe the balance has changed since then.

Highlands John said:
I know it feels like a PR disaster right now, but do you know what effect this terrible review had on our business: NONE.
Also: There is someone near here who gets terrible ta reviews on the regular basis to which he leaves sarcastic replies insulting the reviewer and he still has a thriving business. Sometimes I think we over-estimate the power of ta.

You're back up to a a strong #3 when I TA you and who knows, the next PITA bad review may hit the guys at #1 or #2. It could happen to anybody at any time.

You're back up to a a strong #3 when I TA you and who knows, the next PITA bad review may hit the guys at #1 or #2. It could happen to anybody at any time.
Arkansawyer said:
You know, getting an F when you're a straight A student doesn't impact as much as getting that same F as a solid B student.
Yes, we moved back up over the course of a few months. But, we got knocked back again when a few places had a flurry of excellent reviews and we had zip. So, current reviews are very important to stay higher on the list.
I should probably just keep an eye on it to head off any major unanswered disasters and then just let it go. NONE of the guests who said they used TA have ever written a review.

Arkansawyer said:
You know, getting an F when you're a straight A student doesn't impact as much as getting that same F as a solid B student.
Yes, we moved back up over the course of a few months. But, we got knocked back again when a few places had a flurry of excellent reviews and we had zip. So, current reviews are very important to stay higher on the list.
I should probably just keep an eye on it to head off any major unanswered disasters and then just let it go. NONE of the guests who said they used TA have ever written a review.
Madeleine said:
NONE of the guests who said they used TA have ever written a review.
Your mission is clear. Disguise yourself as DH's boyfriend (you mentioned on another thread that folks assume he has one since he runs a B&B), visit #1 and #2 and find out what they're doing to get guests to write a review!

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Your mission is clear. Disguise yourself as DH's boyfriend (you mentioned on another thread that folks assume he has one since he runs a B&B), visit #1 and #2 and find out what they're doing to get guests to write a review!
That wouldn't work around here. We ask selectively. You would need to stay here and of course we would need to feel like we should ask you. Asking everyone doesn't work.

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
That wouldn't work around here. We ask selectively. You would need to stay here and of course we would need to feel like we should ask you. Asking everyone doesn't work.
what places round me do is - guest surveys - then anyone who puts it was amazing gets a phone call to ask for a trip adv review its that simple.

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
what places round me do is - guest surveys - then anyone who puts it was amazing gets a phone call to ask for a trip adv review its that simple.
What a terrible thing to do.
wink_smile.gif

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif

If I was more organised I'd do it!

Highlands John said:
Also: There is someone near here who gets terrible ta reviews on the regular basis to which he leaves sarcastic replies insulting the reviewer and he still has a thriving business. Sometimes I think we over-estimate the power of ta.
Highlands John said:
We might overestimate the power of TA reviews. However, I think some people (such as your colleague) the underestimate the power of a bad reply. Just makes the inn look worse.

Highlands John said:
Highlands John said:
We might overestimate the power of TA reviews. However, I think some people (such as your colleague) the underestimate the power of a bad reply. Just makes the inn look worse.
I think personally the reply is as important if not more important - the reply of one local restaurant made me determined to eat there!

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif

If I was more organised I'd do it!
Works for us.

Highlands John said:
Highlands John said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Highlands John said:
If only 10% of the people booking your establishment bother to read ta before booking and during the summer you are turning away 10%+ of enquiries becuase you're full you can say what you want on ta management response.

Highlands John said:
Highlands John said:
I think personally the reply is as important if not more important - the reply of one local restaurant made me determined to eat there!
Share plz, gotta read this!

Highlands John said:
Highlands John said:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187046-d2153582-r126957309-Devil_Angel-Harrogate_North_Yorkshire_England.html#REVIEWS
its the ones that says Average at best

Highlands John said:
Highlands John said:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187046-d2153582-r126957309-Devil_Angel-Harrogate_North_Yorkshire_England.html#REVIEWS
its the ones that says Average at best
Agree. I would eat there having seen that.
Something which does strike me particularly about that reply is they have signed their name on it. That definitely gives the reply more gravitas. It's not something I do, but now feel I should.

Back