What I tell the guests...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
When I discover they are a repeat. They arrived at 9pm, a one night stay, as it was last time in Sept 2005, they arrived at 9 or 10pm last time!
"It is good I don't remember you, if I did that meant you were a trouble maker!" It is always good for a laugh, I cannot remember faces anymore unless they made a huge impression on me, sad to say. :) I see one "Joe Guest" and yes I do make notes, so if I think to go read them I will recall some of the conversation later on...
My first thought was "Oh no am I serving them the same breakfast as 2005?" No, I am not, but it really wouldn't matter since so many years have passed...

I do the exact same thing! I am pretty good with faces, but as you said the nice ones who really don't need anything don't tend to leave a big impression, esp for one night. And I always worry about the breakfast too! But as DH says, "If you ate a steak for dinner 5 years ago would you be upset about eating another one today?". We obsess too much!

When guests at the door say they've stayed here before I always ask, 'With me? Do I look familiar?' A lot of times they say no and then I can say, 'Whew! I thought my memory was going!' If they say yes, then I say, 'You must be nice people if I don't remember you.' If they say, 'Yes, last week,' well then I'm up the creek!

When guests at the door say they've stayed here before I always ask, 'With me? Do I look familiar?' A lot of times they say no and then I can say, 'Whew! I thought my memory was going!' If they say yes, then I say, 'You must be nice people if I don't remember you.' If they say, 'Yes, last week,' well then I'm up the creek!.
LOL
So - its not just ME! Whew!!!!

And for the person who has people call instead of book, just got this question and I had an ah ha moment. He asked if we prefer people to call to save $ on the booking fees? I said, huh? I was baffled and then realized they think it costs US every time we get an online booking!!!
I mention this for those who get phone calls moreso than online reservations, this may be the mentality, esp for the older guests!

I do the exact same thing! I am pretty good with faces, but as you said the nice ones who really don't need anything don't tend to leave a big impression, esp for one night. And I always worry about the breakfast too! But as DH says, "If you ate a steak for dinner 5 years ago would you be upset about eating another one today?". We obsess too much!.
I agree with you, Don Draper!

I am worried now, you might not remember what we look like. Egad, I'm faceless!
Happy Harpie

Happy Harpie.
Happy Harpie said:
Happy Harpie
And now you know that is a GOOD thing!!
wink_smile.gif

And for the person who has people call instead of book, just got this question and I had an ah ha moment. He asked if we prefer people to call to save $ on the booking fees? I said, huh? I was baffled and then realized they think it costs US every time we get an online booking!!!
I mention this for those who get phone calls moreso than online reservations, this may be the mentality, esp for the older guests!.
Joey Bloggs said:
I mention this for those who get phone calls moreso than online reservations, this may be the mentality, esp for the older guests!
The Expedia crowd...they've been reading up on how hotels have to pay 20-30%. At least they're being considerate.

I mention this for those who get phone calls moreso than online reservations, this may be the mentality, esp for the older guests!.
Joey Bloggs said:
The Expedia crowd...they've been reading up on how hotels have to pay 20-30%. At least they're being considerate.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Or we are telling them!!! Had a call last week - found us through Hotels . com but had a couple of questions before booking. So after answering the questions (business guest) I asked I could take her res. and she said she was going to book through hotels - not sure how it was said but 'unless it affected me'
I said yes they take 30%! Then told her she got a 10% business guest discount by booking direct. Duh. She said 30% wow didn't know they took that much of a cut. - So now you know!

Back