What I won't miss...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
An opportunity to select the one part of innkeeping you won't miss at all after you waved goodbye to your last guest:
Laundry. The bane of my existance. Just took 3 sets of sheets out of the dryer after their 35 minute run. One twin fitted sheet dry, 2 pillowcase dry, the remaining tops & bottoms and pillowcases are wrapped up in a big ball and are completely wet. 35 wasted minutes. Now have 4 blankets in dryer and expecting same results. Note to self...should I ever do this again, buy commercial dryer. The dryer needs to be 3x the size of the washer, not 1.75x.

One part I won't miss? Waiting around for late night check ins or no shows for breakfast. Disrespect is what I won't miss. The laundry just is, I won't know what to do without THAT hobby. I cannot even make it through the laundry room right now, it is 5 foot square of dirty linens. Which I can't let sit, or they will stink. So i cannot put them off til tomorrow. Altho I will still be working on them tomorrow...and the next day.

get some of those dryer balls, you still get the wad occasionally, but not nearly as often. They claim to shorten the dry time too...

Four levels of living space, three flights of stairs from laundry room to third floor guest room.
=)
Kk.

My dryer has balls. They work great on the KING Sheet sets! But if someone is above that dryer be warned it can be loud some times as it bounces around.
Also, I never dry towels wtih sheets, they ALWAYS wad up.

What I won't miss is all the free time that we have in the afternoons. lol No honestly, I thought that our free time would allow us to catch up on our scrapbooking, sleep, computers ... but for some reason free time gets squandered away some where. If any one out there finds the bits of free time I am missing, could you please let me know and I will come and fetch it.
We ARE going out this afternoon. Time for a break. No incoming, just two rooms staying over and they have already been fluffed. Oh and if the lady in the white chocolate room is missing hair, we swept up a medium size dog worth of it. I hate hair!

One part I won't miss? Waiting around for late night check ins or no shows for breakfast. Disrespect is what I won't miss. The laundry just is, I won't know what to do without THAT hobby. I cannot even make it through the laundry room right now, it is 5 foot square of dirty linens. Which I can't let sit, or they will stink. So i cannot put them off til tomorrow. Altho I will still be working on them tomorrow...and the next day..
I think everyone is right about the dryer balls. I didn't have this problem when I had my sneakers in with the big stuff in the old dryer. I'll get them.
OTOH, the 4 blankets? Perfectly dry. Then I put the first batch of wet sheets back in, set the dryer up for 'perm press' which is a shorter cycel (thanks KK), went to answer the phone and when I got back the load was done. 6 minutes. I had to restart it because it really wasn't done, but it was close.
Then the washer went off balance but it does not have a 'restart' feature. (Yes, I read the manual.) So had to do the whole load over again. Arrrgh!
So, working my way thru the 5' pile of laundry...today I did 4 blankets, 2 mattress pads & 1 quilt changeout, plus the 10 beds.
Yes, laundry is a given but I'll never wash this much in a day in my 'real' life.

When DH brought up the idea of a B&B, the first thing I thought was a laundry service. I was not going to iron 4 sets of sheets all summer.
Lo and behold, there was a laundry service. Believe it or not, this was the deciding factor on whether to open a B&B or not.

When DH brought up the idea of a B&B, the first thing I thought was a laundry service. I was not going to iron 4 sets of sheets all summer.
Lo and behold, there was a laundry service. Believe it or not, this was the deciding factor on whether to open a B&B or not..
trishany said:
Lo and behold, there was a laundry service. Believe it or not, this was the deciding factor on whether to open a B&B or not.
The PO's here had a laundry service. When I contacted them they said they were no longer going to do that, it took too much time to iron! I can get sheets washed at multiple locations but no ironing and most of the laundry services that have contacted me want to deliver 'whatever' they have in stock. I have stayed at B&B's that use this particular service and 'whatever' can be paper-thin sheets and beat up pillowcases. I guess I would rather suffer with my own sheets. (But I don't iron too much, I got all poly-cotton sheets.)
Really, what takes the most time are the blankets, quilts and mattress pads that I wash every other week.
A laundry service is a wonderful thing if you can get one that either provides high-end linens or will do the high-end linens you buy yourself. Congrats on finding a good service!
The closest place to me happens to be in another state! They would come out 2-3 times/week, which would not work in the summer.

i won't miss the lack of privacy and lack of quittin' time
(ask me again in a year -- if i'm out of here, i may be crying, who knows?)

My dryer has balls. They work great on the KING Sheet sets! But if someone is above that dryer be warned it can be loud some times as it bounces around.
Also, I never dry towels wtih sheets, they ALWAYS wad up..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
My dryer has balls.
oh my!
this tickled my funny bone!!!!!
wink_smile.gif

Lo and behold, there was a laundry service. Believe it or not, this was the deciding factor on whether to open a B&B or not..
trishany said:
The PO's here had a laundry service. When I contacted them they said they were no longer going to do that, it took too much time to iron! I can get sheets washed at multiple locations but no ironing and most of the laundry services that have contacted me want to deliver 'whatever' they have in stock. I have stayed at B&B's that use this particular service and 'whatever' can be paper-thin sheets and beat up pillowcases. I guess I would rather suffer with my own sheets. (But I don't iron too much, I got all poly-cotton sheets.)
Really, what takes the most time are the blankets, quilts and mattress pads that I wash every other week.
A laundry service is a wonderful thing if you can get one that either provides high-end linens or will do the high-end linens you buy yourself. Congrats on finding a good service!
The closest place to me happens to be in another state! They would come out 2-3 times/week, which would not work in the summer.
Ditto ---blankets, and the throws are washed every two weeks.
Bree, really wish you could find a laundry service.
Botttom line is that our laundry service contributes, I would say, to one HALF of our success.

Back