What if a guest takes inn property, what to do??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A guest checked out with DH this morning (paid the invoice but wasn't physically leaving yet), DH asked for his key, guest stated it was in the room, okay.
Two hours later, waiting for new guest to check into that room and realize room key is missing. Check room thoroughly, no key. Call guest who is still in town and they insist they left key in room. Well we don't have it. Well we don't either.
So I lose a key. How can they INSIST they don't have it? If I had it, it would be hanging on the wall where it belongs. But no, no of course I'M always wrong...grr..
Stuck in a pocket usually or the luggage...it happens.

A guest checked out with DH this morning (paid the invoice but wasn't physically leaving yet), DH asked for his key, guest stated it was in the room, okay.
Two hours later, waiting for new guest to check into that room and realize room key is missing. Check room thoroughly, no key. Call guest who is still in town and they insist they left key in room. Well we don't have it. Well we don't either.
So I lose a key. How can they INSIST they don't have it? If I had it, it would be hanging on the wall where it belongs. But no, no of course I'M always wrong...grr..
When we get arguers, I let them know we DID look, it's not there so if they do find it later on, just mail it to us. But, yes, it IS annoying when they keep insisting they did something they didn't do or vice versa.
I have had guests standing in front of me with the keys in their hands saying they left them in the room. I'll say, 'Well, let me take THOSE and you'll probably find your car keys are still in the room!'
SHOCKER! Guest got home and found the key in their luggage. Yeah, that's what I thought...
Well at least they fessed up to it after insisting it was left in the room. At least that is easier to send back to you than an umbrella.

When we get arguers, I let them know we DID look, it's not there so if they do find it later on, just mail it to us. But, yes, it IS annoying when they keep insisting they did something they didn't do or vice versa.
I have had guests standing in front of me with the keys in their hands saying they left them in the room. I'll say, 'Well, let me take THOSE and you'll probably find your car keys are still in the room!'
SHOCKER! Guest got home and found the key in their luggage. Yeah, that's what I thought...
My keys travel more than I do.

You could ask them to bring it back when they return next year....
Riki.
thumbs_up.gif

Subtle, but it gets your point across.
BBBBob

Back