What if?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I will pose a scenario, real or fictional and find out what you would do in the same situation. Feel free to pose your own "What If's" from your inn experience there. :)
What if?
1) Guests check-in and occupy said room for 2 hours, then come to find you to tell you:
"There is a problem. We typed in the address we are going to in the GPS and it is 3 1/2 hours from here. We thought you were closer."
What would you do?
They booked the room for two nights. They checked in and occupied the room for 2 hours. That is all the innfo I will give...tell me what you would do. (Disclaimer, not a fling, an older couple from Jersey)

Hm. First I would think, yes, there is a problem. *You* didn't do your research. I would do my best to help, but this is my opportunity to assist them, not take a hit because they planned poorly.
First thing I'd do is check the accuracy of their GPS's data. I happen to have a DH who hasn't updated his GPS maps in...going on 3 years. Yep. Not fun.
If they ultimately made the decision that they wanted to leave and stay somewhere else, I would probably give them a choice between a credit for a future stay (within a defined time limit, non-transferable), or forfeiting the cost of one night's stay. They won't be using electricity/hot water/etc, but I *did* purchase groceries that I may/may not be able to use/save. This is already more generous than our standing policy.
FWIW, DH & I regularly do a sort of "what if" beased on the scenarios raised on this board. It's really been a great exercise in making sure we're on the same page re BnB stuff.

I'd say that this is one reason why you have policies. They are changing or cancelling their reservation within your cancellation period. They are responsible for the entire amount unless you are able to rebook their room.

I'd say that this is one reason why you have policies. They are changing or cancelling their reservation within your cancellation period. They are responsible for the entire amount unless you are able to rebook their room..
Emily Spiers said:
I'd say that this is one reason why you have policies. They are changing or cancelling their reservation within your cancellation period. They are responsible for the entire amount unless you are able to rebook their room.
Remember the WHAT IF scenario is for YOU, not me. So you would tell them your policies? We don't have a "if we can rebook the room policy here" just as an fyi.

I'd say that this is one reason why you have policies. They are changing or cancelling their reservation within your cancellation period. They are responsible for the entire amount unless you are able to rebook their room..
Emily Spiers said:
Remember the WHAT IF scenario is for YOU, not me. So you would tell them your policies? We don't have a "if we can rebook the room policy here" just as an fyi.
Joey Bloggs said:
Emily Spiers said:
Yes, that would be for me. I wouldn't want to be holding the bag for their goof. Heartless, possibly. Would I have bills to pay, you betcha.

It's their error, not mine. We have a map, directions, approx. drive times from different metro areas all on our website. They would be responsible for both nights, it's their option whether they wanted to stay the second night.
This summer we had a couple get all upset, mad and left because we were further away than they thought. They arrived here furious and refused to stay. I would not give them back their deposit so they disputed the charge. We won.

DH says: "How early would you like your breakfast?" Then he says and I agree... we would charge them for one night stay if we couldn't get the room rebooked.

I do recall something back in my mind that a similar thing happened here. I do not recall exactly what I did but, given my current policy I would explain that I was sorry, if they had told me when they booked where they were going I would have told them the distance. My policy is clear once they check in they are responsible for entire stay...
I fulfiled my end by removing the room of their choice from being able to be filled by anyone else
I purchased food to prepare their breakfast - as I promised to do for our guests
They promised to pay for their lodging.
Now at my disgression, I would be happy to refund them if I was able to rebook the 2nd night, the first night is on them whether they stay the night or not.

I do recall something back in my mind that a similar thing happened here. I do not recall exactly what I did but, given my current policy I would explain that I was sorry, if they had told me when they booked where they were going I would have told them the distance. My policy is clear once they check in they are responsible for entire stay...
I fulfiled my end by removing the room of their choice from being able to be filled by anyone else
I purchased food to prepare their breakfast - as I promised to do for our guests
They promised to pay for their lodging.
Now at my disgression, I would be happy to refund them if I was able to rebook the 2nd night, the first night is on them whether they stay the night or not..
We have a strict policy that within in 48 hours of the reservation they are responsible for the total. Within 30 days the deposit is non-refundable. PERIOD.
In addition, you now have to clean the room.
We charge the balance (the other 50%, as 50% deposit is taken in order to make a booking) at checkin & make a point of saying (even though it is in writing on our website, in their conf. email, & in front of them as we checkin, plus they have heard it when I verbally told them while making the reservation), "you have paid in full at checkin & we are unable to refund if you leave early for any reason."

Their problem sorry if you are to dumb to know where you are you are going etc I would say I will try and resell and refund you the difference but get money in your hand.

I would tell them I was sorry they had incorrect information but that since they had reserved the room it had prevented me from renting it to anyone else, and by our policies they would be responsible for all nights booked. I would then give them the exhaustive list of things to do HERE, since they are already here!
Honestly, if I personally had made this mistake I would NEVER admit it to anyone! I'd either make the best of where I was, or skip out and head to where I want to be, knowing full well that I am responsible for all the charges. Life's too short to let $300-$400 ruin my precious time off!!!

Now for some more innfo...they are looking at real estate. So to be in the wrong place would not be helpful to them.
But it is another (gee y'all what did we end up deciding GPS stood for?" Guest Pathetic Snafu or something...) She argued that our lake is 3 1/2 hours from here, and I said, Uh no, it is in our county, we own half the lake.
She said "Well the GPS SAID 3 1/2 hours! I can't stay here and drive 3 1/2 hours!!"
I said, well no, it is wrong. She was astonished that I could say a GPS was wrong!
I said, "I told you when you called, we are 18 miles from the spot you mentioned" She said well that road is a very long road then. I said, No, it is only about 25 miles long.
So they stayed.
She never said Oops or anything, but they were here for brekkie and one more night. So I didn't have to use innkeeper-policy-enforcement.
So if they tell you that, ask them WHERE they are going. If I didn't ask I wouldn't have known.
I LOVE GPS's - NOT! Talk about dumbing down America...

Now for some more innfo...they are looking at real estate. So to be in the wrong place would not be helpful to them.
But it is another (gee y'all what did we end up deciding GPS stood for?" Guest Pathetic Snafu or something...) She argued that our lake is 3 1/2 hours from here, and I said, Uh no, it is in our county, we own half the lake.
She said "Well the GPS SAID 3 1/2 hours! I can't stay here and drive 3 1/2 hours!!"
I said, well no, it is wrong. She was astonished that I could say a GPS was wrong!
I said, "I told you when you called, we are 18 miles from the spot you mentioned" She said well that road is a very long road then. I said, No, it is only about 25 miles long.
So they stayed.
She never said Oops or anything, but they were here for brekkie and one more night. So I didn't have to use innkeeper-policy-enforcement.
So if they tell you that, ask them WHERE they are going. If I didn't ask I wouldn't have known.
I LOVE GPS's - NOT! Talk about dumbing down America....
Joey Bloggs said:
So they stayed.
Had a GPS conversation with our guests this morning.. They are from MD and happened to mention that of everywhere they have traveled with the GPS, GPS in WV was the worst at getting you where you want to go. (This guy is a real techie and updates his GPS every other week,)

Honest mistake, we all make them but not one you should have to pay for, IF they want to check out I would advise you would need to charge them for the 2 nights and if you were able to re-sell the room you would refund the 2nd night
I mean you are not losing anything in that case and probably "gaining" more in goodwill. If they don't want to take the chance then they can stay and pay for the nights they booked.

So they stayed.
I LOVE GPS's - NOT! Talk about dumbing down America....
Joey Bloggs said:
So they stayed.
Had a GPS conversation with our guests this morning.. They are from MD and happened to mention that of everywhere they have traveled with the GPS, GPS in WV was the worst at getting you where you want to go. (This guy is a real techie and updates his GPS every other week,)
GPS in WV was the worst at getting you where you want to go.
That is because you can't get there from here. In reality it is because so much of the State is still RFD# or P O Box
Even with a street number (as in me), Brunhilda takes them off the Interstatein South Fairmont and brings them down the commuter route locals use - but not at night if they are smart. They get here OK, wide-eyed and white-knuckled. Visualize 2-lane, twisty-turny, steep hills up and down, and NO shoulder, just a ditch a few inches from the edge - oh the 2-lane is barely wide enough to call 2-lane.

Well, I came in after the end of the story but here's what I would have done.
  1. Verified where they wanted to go - which in your case confirmed that it wasn't 3.5 hrs away. Goodness gracious!
  2. Since they were within definite striking distance, I'd hold them to the reservation and assist with directions, etc.
  3. If they were indeed 3.5 hrs away, I'd probably split the difference and charge them for one night since they used the room. Then, I'd let them off the hook for the second night. I'm pretty easy on the guests because getting all worked up just isn't worth it to me.........

Back