What information do you get when someone calls you ?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolacoy

Reaction score
When someone calls you do you have a check-off list of questions that you ask, name address, phone, number in party, ages, etc. ?

We have a guest management 'system' so there is a form to fill out...
  • Name
  • Names of other guests in party
  • Number of guests in party (if they book online the form also asks if there are children and their ages or if there are pets)
  • Number of days they are staying
  • Address
  • Phone info
  • Email info
  • Check in time (online it only allows a selection between 3-7 PM)
  • How they found us
  • CC info
  • We ask separately if there are dietary restrictions
If it's a group, especially a wedding, I have another list of questions I try to remember to ask!

Only pertinent info for the reservation. Whatever is required to book a room anywhere is what I ask.
The only addtl info I ask "Is this a special ocassion" and that is for myself to do something for them. Also food allergies so I don't waste time cooking food for them they cannot eat.
In the confirmation I TELL THEM stuff - check in times, check out times, breakfast times, directions, etc etc
I am pretty sure I would never ask "What are your ages?" they would hang up on me!
Part of a B&B experience is interaction with the guests, so I enjoy getting to know them once they arrive.

We have a guest management 'system' so there is a form to fill out...
  • Name
  • Names of other guests in party
  • Number of guests in party (if they book online the form also asks if there are children and their ages or if there are pets)
  • Number of days they are staying
  • Address
  • Phone info
  • Email info
  • Check in time (online it only allows a selection between 3-7 PM)
  • How they found us
  • CC info
  • We ask separately if there are dietary restrictions
If it's a group, especially a wedding, I have another list of questions I try to remember to ask!.
Ditto, what Bree said.
It's always nice to know if they want a pot of tea or a pot of coffee in the morning.
Also, if they are staying for a special ocassion. We just had a couple check in and it's her 50th. So I just got back from buying balloons and tied them onto the bed post.

Bree's list is very close to mine with the following additions:
For the address I request the address where they receive their bill for the credit card they are using. I need this if I process anything manually to their card. Some cards I need the zip code, others the street number, my rate is different if they do not match.
The other is Where did you hear about us? This is a biggy for me, although some just say the internet - how broad! The attempt is to find out what is working and eliminate what is not.
These check off forms are great backup informtion if needed for a chargeback dispute.

This is a document that I have in word on which I write all the pertinent information. We find that it is increasingly important to get a cell phone number in case we need to contact them the day of their arrival or they have not arrived within a reasonable time of when they said that they would arrive.
Also I mention days of the week besides the dates for their stay just in case they or I am looking at the wrong month.
GUEST INFORMATION

TODAYS DATE:

NAME:

ADDRESS:

CITY/STATE/ZIP:

PHONE:

CELL PHONE:

E-MAIL:

CREDIT CARD: DISCOVER: MASTERCARD: VISA:

CARD NUMBER:

EXP. DATE:

RESERVATION DATES:
NUMBER OF DAYS
DAYS OF THE WEEK:

NUMBER OF ROOMS:
NUMBER OF PEOPLE

ROOM (ROOMS):

ROOM RATE:

CHECK IN TIME:

CAR ?:

EVENT THAT BRINGS THEM TO TOWN:

REFERRING PARTY:

DIETARY RESTRICTIONS/CAT? We mention that we have and indoor/outdoor cat not allowed in guest areas

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Oh - yes, I forgot a cell number for while they are on the road. And the way I ask about the dates of the reservation is this: " I have the nights of Monday, Jan. 5 through Thrusday, Jan 8th departing Friday morning the 9th." Too many include the check out day in their verbal requests.

For the address I request the address where they receive their bill for the credit card they are using. I need this if I process anything manually to their card. Some cards I need the zip code, others the street number, my rate is different if they do not match.
The other is Where did you hear about us? This is a biggy for me, although some just say the internet - how broad! The attempt is to find out what is working and eliminate what is not.
These check off forms are great backup informtion if needed for a chargeback dispute..
Copperhead said:
These check off forms are great backup informtion if needed for a chargeback dispute.
Yes, definitely the mailing address for the cc. If they say they have a PO Box, I ask where the cc bills go to. THAT'S the address I want.

I have a Reservation Form I made in Word. On it I enter (or at least try to):
Date of Arrival/Departure
Name of person making reservation
Names of other person(s) in party
Address
Phone Number
Email confirmation?
Email address
Expected time of arrival
Reason for visit
Dietary restrictions, dislikes, or allergies
Coffee?
How they learned about us
Other notes
Which room(s)
Rate
Number of Nights
Total Lodging (without tax)
Total with Tax
Amount of Deposit (one night)
Visa or MasterCard?
Balance Due on Arrival
Credit card number
Expiration Date
Then a check list for myself:
Update Webervations
Update paper calendar
Update Excel
Run Deposit
Send Confirmation
Other
At the top of the page I write the date of the reservation and the Folio number (which my cc machine asks for).
=)
Kk.

I have the same online rez system that Bree has, so that it's all there. I made a half page paper rez form that has the bulk of it on there that I take with me in my planner when I'm away from the inn. I offer a discount for people to book online & I encourage that!!

Thanks,
Another question, when we lease a house to someone we get a deposit equal to one months rent to cover damages and cleaning. In your kind of business cleaning is figured into the price. But what if once they are gone you find damage or theft of something.

Thanks,
Another question, when we lease a house to someone we get a deposit equal to one months rent to cover damages and cleaning. In your kind of business cleaning is figured into the price. But what if once they are gone you find damage or theft of something..
Rolacoy said:
Thanks,
Another question, when we lease a house to someone we get a deposit equal to one months rent to cover damages and cleaning. In your kind of business cleaning is figured into the price. But what if once they are gone you find damage or theft of something.
We just went thru this situation, full post later on, but here's the short version...kid wet bed, new bed paid for by family (not parent of child, tho). However, if we had not had the opportunity to experience the wet bed more than one night, the best we could have done was send a bill and hoped.
Otherwise, most of the cleaning/damages you incur are considerd cost of doing business.

I sit really true, when someone damages something or steals something, you have no recourse ?

I sit really true, when someone damages something or steals something, you have no recourse ?.
Depends on what, when, who...
Someone busts something, oh well. Someone specifically comes and steals something very valuable... the same recourse as anyone... have to pursue the culprit, file a police claim, prosecute, etc. It's only worth it for something actually valuable.
Generally, if it's valuable (financial, sentimental, whatever) you don't put it where the guests can destroy it.
=)
Kk.

I am just used to having a deposit from my renters..
Owning a B&B is a different animal. The exception being long term guests which can be similar to renters depending on the length of stay. You should always have a credit card on file. If something happens (breakage, damage, or theft), all you can do is notify the guest and subsequently bill their credit card if you need to. If your policies state that you'll bill the guest for any damages & they sign that, that will help to protect you against chargebacks. Also having a complete inventory & photos of your guest rooms is a good idea.
In the short time I've been open, I did learn to be sure to have a credit card for cash or check guests and guests that are having their stay paid through a company. Of course, you're not supposed to store credit card information according to your merchant agreement.

You cannot bill a credit card for damage or breakage. Unless the guest does not know that. The credit card companies will not allow it. I have friends who had a group break furniture get drunk and urinate all over a bed and ruin it. They could not charge the credit card. The company would not let them.
Riki

Back