What irritates you?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using the basket intended for used towels as a wastebasket when there is a wastebasket WITH LID and a plastic liner right next to it.
Actually ASKING for a bag to put the bananas & apples in the fruit basket in "for the trail" - they are intended for if you get the munchies in the evening. I guess it is the "it is in the room so I paid for it" but the pretzels weren't and they asked for them too!

guests opening the door to people who they don't know (I am on a rant about this this week)
stating they need the earliest breakfast possible and then not showing up at all.
arguing with me about the best way to park (who lives here and parks cars all day long?)
people from other places trying to check in with me and giving me a stroke
people driving round in circles looking for somewhere to park instead of asking
People who can't read the huge sign that says car park round back..
Just guessing, Camberley----Is "parking" your big annoyance issue?
wink_smile.gif

Forgot to add:
- key left in the front door
- wet towels on antique furniture
- laundry dripping in the bedroom or in shared bathroom(!)
- "do you have vacancy next week" calls at 1 am made with from a local number (hello- do you have a clock?)
- last minute cancelation because they are "sick" or somebody "died". - lies.
April said:
"do you have vacancy next week" calls at 1 am made with from a local number (hello- do you have a clock?) -
OMG, you're singing my tune. Or even if they're NOT a local number....have they really never heard of timezones?

guests opening the door to people who they don't know (I am on a rant about this this week)
stating they need the earliest breakfast possible and then not showing up at all.
arguing with me about the best way to park (who lives here and parks cars all day long?)
people from other places trying to check in with me and giving me a stroke
people driving round in circles looking for somewhere to park instead of asking
People who can't read the huge sign that says car park round back..
Just guessing, Camberley----Is "parking" your big annoyance issue?
wink_smile.gif

it is this week! we can get in 10 cars if everyone doesn't drive Hummers and if they park tidily we have had 10 in all weekend so it proves it can be done but people are just completely selfish and stupid which makes an extra job for me to watch them all the time! people will park sideways across 4 spaces without blinking.

Oh, let's add to the list....
Not just makeup on the towels, but red lipstick and smeared across.
Breaking items and not being honest enough to either own up to it, or have asked in the first place how to use something so that they don't break it.
Telling me of an allergy or intolerance just before breakfast (too damn bad! Have toast or a banana)
Blood on the sheets/mattress pad, etc. YUCK!
Pee on the sheets/mattress pad, etc. YUCK!
Not properly disposing of their Poise pad (panty liner for incontinence). It comes with a blue plastic pouch to dispose of it.... use it!
Guests who open the window that is holding the AC in.
Stealing anything, including water bottles and an banana to have later. It's stealing, no matter how you justify it to yourself.
I have USB chargers in every room and yet people insist on having four adapters in a row so they can plug in their own USB charger that is drooping off from the circuit because of the weight.
Going into private areas that are clearly marked as private, in two official languages.
Commenting online on private areas that are clearly marked as private because they are just rude.
Rude guests talking American politics at the breakfast table (especially right wing, since it upsets all my Canadian and European guests).
Guests asking private questions of ourselves and other guests. It's no one's business what your marital status is, how you know the person or frankly what sexual positions you like (yes... I've had it asked!)
Married guests who ask me how to find bars, clubs or saunas that they clearly shouldn't be going to and counting on my discretion to point them to their happy ending.
Guests who think that this is France and that we are French and that they want me to point them at: Bistros, but obviously not knowing what a bistro actually is; Creperies, because the locals haven't been to one since the 1970s but since we speak the language we must have them, go to them and of course have magnificient ones; and finally guests who seem to think that I can't be local because I speak English without an accent... damn it, I was born here, grew up here, live here, get over it!
Reviewers who lie and not just white lies, big fat ones! We have had two in a year.
Guests who think that the country just shuts down for the winter and we just go into hibernation. They are surprised that we are open year round, that we have guests year round and that we don't die each year at the end of autumn just to be reborn in the spring.
I'll probably think of a dozen more before the day is done..
Guests who expect that somehow a free street parking spot is going to be available. I live in a large metropolitain city with all kinds of parking restrictions!
Guests who expect that everyone is going to be happy to take foreign currency (inspite of it not being legal tender) and give them a great exchange rate. The banks take 3%, $2.50 per deposit and 75c to use a teller.... I'm going to be passing on that inconvenience, sorry.
Guests who ask the same question three times because they think if they ask it often enough, the answer will change. (See Albert Einstein re definition of insanity).
Guests who want me to plan their day and tell them what they will enjoy doing, eating, seeing and buying. I can help plan your day by making suggestions... I am not making decisions for you.
Guests who put cloth napkins on their plate that still has maple syrup (or anything else gooey) still on the plate.
Guests who take my fine china to their rooms without asking. That cup is $35 to replace and you are responsible for it until it returns to my dining room.
Guests who wear wet, muddy or snowy shoes into the house. Do you really want me wearing my muddy shoes into your house, because I'm coming over in two weeks and I'm walking through Mr. Ed's home before I come into your place.
Guests who leave personal items in the shared bathroom. It's shared space, shouldn't someone have taught you to be considerate by now?
Guests who stay in all day (and underfoot). We had one guy who was out of the house maybe 4 hours total on a one week stay. He even brought whey protein drinks so he would not have to go out for lunch or dinner. Sat at the shared PC all day long on FB with his friends. Finally convinced them to go out and they asked to coat check their jacket, so they came back immediately because it would have ruined the look.
Guests who ask you to book a specific restaurant that is really tough to book... a restaurant that doesn't often return it's phone calls.. a restaurant that calls you back the same day to reconfirm... only to not honour their reservation!
Yup... it's official, I need a vacation! 15 more days, 15 more day....
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Guests who stay in all day (and underfoot). We had one guy who was out of the house maybe 4 hours total on a one week stay. He even brought whey protein drinks so he would not have to go out for lunch or dinner. Sat at the shared PC all day long on FB with his friends. Finally convinced them to go out and they asked to coat check their jacket, so they came back immediately because it would have ruined the look.
That one drives me mad too. We had a guy stay for 5 days, he would go out after breakfast, maybe for 1-2 hours come back and not go out of his room again. It's a B&B for heavens sake, not a hotel. Sometimes I unplug the router from the telephone so the wifi stays on but there's no Internet connection. When they come down and complain I say "oh I'm sorry, the broadband is not very reliable living in a small Highland village". Having said that, I really think you need a break Eric :) We've just had 5 nights off, 4of which we spent in Amsterdam, so we're feeling bright eyed and bushy tailed at the moment. Although I've already had 3 requests for laundry in 2 days and we have a power cut at the moment so can't to laundry, can't Hoover, no water as it's all pumped......it may not last long.

Breaking items and not being honest enough to either own up to it, or have asked in the first place how to use something so that they don't break it.
Telling me of an allergy or intolerance just before breakfast (too damn bad! Have toast or a banana)
Not properly disposing of their Poise pad (panty liner for incontinence). It comes with a blue plastic pouch to dispose of it.... use it!
Stealing anything, including water bottles and an banana to have later. It's stealing, no matter how you justify it to yourself.
I have USB chargers in every room and yet people insist on having four adapters in a row so they can plug in their own USB charger that is drooping off from the circuit because of the weight.
Going into private areas that are clearly marked as private, in two official languages.
Commenting online on private areas that are clearly marked as private because they are just rude.
Rude guests talking American politics at the breakfast table (especially right wing, since it upsets all my Canadian and European guests).
Guests asking private questions of ourselves and other guests. It's no one's business what your marital status is, how you know the person or frankly what sexual positions you like (yes... I've had it asked!)
Married guests who ask me how to find bars, clubs or saunas that they clearly shouldn't be going to and counting on my discretion to point them to their happy ending.
Guests who think that this is France and that we are French and that they want me to point them at: Bistros, but obviously not knowing what a bistro actually is; Creperies, because the locals haven't been to one since the 1970s but since we speak the language we must have them, go to them and of course have magnificient ones; and finally guests who seem to think that I can't be local because I speak English without an accent... damn it, I was born here, grew up here, live here, get over it!
Reviewers who lie and not just white lies, big fat ones! We have had two in a year.
Guests who think that the country just shuts down for the winter and we just go into hibernation. They are surprised that we are open year round, that we have guests year round and that we don't die each year at the end of autumn just to be reborn in the spring.
Guests who expect that somehow a free street parking spot is going to be available. I live in a large metropolitain city with all kinds of parking restrictions!
Guests who expect that everyone is going to be happy to take foreign currency (inspite of it not being legal tender) and give them a great exchange rate. The banks take 3%, $2.50 per deposit and 75c to use a teller.... I'm going to be passing on that inconvenience, sorry.
Guests who ask the same question three times because they think if they ask it often enough, the answer will change. (See Albert Einstein re definition of insanity).
Guests who want me to plan their day and tell them what they will enjoy doing, eating, seeing and buying. I can help plan your day by making suggestions... I am not making decisions for you.
Guests who put cloth napkins on their plate that still has maple syrup (or anything else gooey) still on the plate.
Guests who take my fine china to their rooms without asking. That cup is $35 to replace and you are responsible for it until it returns to my dining room.
Guests who wear wet, muddy or snowy shoes into the house. Do you really want me wearing my muddy shoes into your house, because I'm coming over in two weeks and I'm walking through Mr. Ed's home before I come into your place.
Guests who leave personal items in the shared bathroom. It's shared space, shouldn't someone have taught you to be considerate by now?
Guests who ask you to book a specific restaurant that is really tough to book... a restaurant that doesn't often return it's phone calls.. a restaurant that calls you back the same day to reconfirm... only to not honour their reservation!
Eric Arthur Blair said:
That one drives me mad too. We had a guy stay for 5 days, he would go out after breakfast, maybe for 1-2 hours come back and not go out of his room again. It's a B&B for heavens sake, not a hotel. Sometimes I unplug the router from the telephone so the wifi stays on but there's no Internet connection. When they come down and complain I say "oh I'm sorry, the broadband is not very reliable living in a small Highland village". Having said that, I really think you need a break Eric :) We've just had 5 nights off, 4of which we spent in Amsterdam, so we're feeling bright eyed and bushy tailed at the moment. Although I've already had 3 requests for laundry in 2 days and we have a power cut at the moment so can't to laundry, can't Hoover, no water as it's all pumped......it may not last long.
Oh... I know that I need a break. 14 more days until I'm off to France for two weeks. But it is much better than previous years, since we started doing self check-in and I can leave the house at 6 PM if I want to, now. In fact, guests are surprised at how well our system works. Had a guest who's flight was delayed and only arrived at 2:30 AM to find a note on the door that got her in, the key on a hook with instructions and it all worked seemlessly.
I'm actually doing okay, though. But I know I'm overburdened at the moment. It's not just the B&B, it's my parents also and my sister who lives 8796 km away. (Isn't wolfram alpha fun!)

Guests saying they are not sure they can stay the full time they booked, but they'll let us know 'later on'.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Oh... I know that I need a break. 14 more days until I'm off to France for two weeks. But it is much better than previous years, since we started doing self check-in and I can leave the house at 6 PM if I want to, now. In fact, guests are surprised at how well our system works. Had a guest who's flight was delayed and only arrived at 2:30 AM to find a note on the door that got her in, the key on a hook with instructions and it all worked seemlessly.
I'm actually doing okay, though. But I know I'm overburdened at the moment. It's not just the B&B, it's my parents also and my sister who lives 8796 km away. (Isn't wolfram alpha fun!)
I feel stressed at the moment but its outside the B&B that is partly the problem Im helping my mother in law move house as she is a widow and has never done it before either the legal side or the physical side and due to a lot of legal probate stuff it is a complete nightmare. Plus DH because we are quiet is helping out at one of the local hotels as their 3rd night porter in 3 months has disappeared and they are left in a very difficult position so he is sleeping all the time or out or cranky plus my chamber maid is on holiday for a week and a half which she deserves as she has been having a field day with her family as well. But it means my mum has been helping me who means well but I can only cope with her so many hours a day! plus have work men in who are room only which helps but are like herding cats as they never know when they are going or staying or who is paying or its Im paying for 2 nights then jim is paying for the last one etc and they are supposed to pay the evening before they go but catching them is a hassel so I end up faffing about in the morning with them. But it keeps us ticking over money wise and thats what matters.

Falling asleep in my chair and having the phone wake me up and a lady asking about availability this weekend. What is irritating? Me thinking she is talking about the FOLLOWING weekend and telling her I am booked! DUH! I gave her phone numbers of 2 other WVBBA members.
Thankfully I realized what an idjit I was - as soon as I hung up. Dial *69, get the number, call back, and get a happy camper that I DO have availability. Got the 2-nighter! As of now, Halloween will be the only empty weekend this month (and there is time for that to change). A feel good - the Sunday nightthat I sent on to another WVBBA member for Monday did the things I suggested (and liked my routing) so stayed with them 2 nights and they sent them on to another WVBBA member! WOOHOO!!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I feel stressed at the moment but its outside the B&B that is partly the problem Im helping my mother in law move house as she is a widow and has never done it before either the legal side or the physical side and due to a lot of legal probate stuff it is a complete nightmare. Plus DH because we are quiet is helping out at one of the local hotels as their 3rd night porter in 3 months has disappeared and they are left in a very difficult position so he is sleeping all the time or out or cranky plus my chamber maid is on holiday for a week and a half which she deserves as she has been having a field day with her family as well. But it means my mum has been helping me who means well but I can only cope with her so many hours a day! plus have work men in who are room only which helps but are like herding cats as they never know when they are going or staying or who is paying or its Im paying for 2 nights then jim is paying for the last one etc and they are supposed to pay the evening before they go but catching them is a hassel so I end up faffing about in the morning with them. But it keeps us ticking over money wise and thats what matters.
I got tired just reading that, Cambs. Hang in there!

What irritates me is no reviews or I should say just a hand full. They all write very nice things in the guest books I have in the rooms but has only gotten 2 on B&B dot com ( but not listed with them any more) and 4 reviews on face book but will be losing then at the end of this month. What does everyone do beg or pay guest to do a review? The only complaint I ever got was that we had no reviews but no one does them. Do you all know something I don't? Maybe I should get rid of the guest books? HELP! ! !

What irritates me is no reviews or I should say just a hand full. They all write very nice things in the guest books I have in the rooms but has only gotten 2 on B&B dot com ( but not listed with them any more) and 4 reviews on face book but will be losing then at the end of this month. What does everyone do beg or pay guest to do a review? The only complaint I ever got was that we had no reviews but no one does them. Do you all know something I don't? Maybe I should get rid of the guest books? HELP! ! !.
Maybe it's your demographic. If you have the 'older' set, they are less likely to write an online review unless they are blazingly mad at you. We get about 10 reviews/year. That's the same number we were getting when I was asking guests to write a review. We've had wonderful guests tell me on the way out the door, 'We just left you a review on TA!' those never show up.
If you have a newsletter or email marketing list, send a request out for reviews with your next newsletter. Explain how important reviews are for some guests and how you would appreciate if they could write a review like the one they left in the guest book.
Maybe that's my problem, too, I get emails, cards, wonderful stuff in the guest book but relatively nothing online.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I got tired just reading that, Cambs. Hang in there!
Oh and I totally forgot I am helping start a trade association with independant local shops and helping build a web site (www.harrogateindependantshops.com) and have just been starting a facebook page Commercial Street cos I blatently do not have enough to do! lol and redoing all my guest info folders.

What irritates me is no reviews or I should say just a hand full. They all write very nice things in the guest books I have in the rooms but has only gotten 2 on B&B dot com ( but not listed with them any more) and 4 reviews on face book but will be losing then at the end of this month. What does everyone do beg or pay guest to do a review? The only complaint I ever got was that we had no reviews but no one does them. Do you all know something I don't? Maybe I should get rid of the guest books? HELP! ! !.
i don't know as I know a lot of people with B&B's near me that people have confirmed with the owner they have reviewed their property and its has never shown.

Ice said:
What irritates me is no reviews or I should say just a hand full. They all write very nice things in the guest books I have in the rooms but has only gotten 2 on B&B dot com ( but not listed with them any more) and 4 reviews on face book but will be losing then at the end of this month. What does everyone do beg or pay guest to do a review? The only complaint I ever got was that we had no reviews but no one does them. Do you all know something I don't? Maybe I should get rid of the guest books? HELP! ! !
and I bought a brand new guest book and put it in the parlor on the table. Every guest opens it and reads the one or two comments since SEPT and then closed it again. !! I can't get them to sign THAT or review and they say "We will tell ALL OUR FRIENDS! THIS IS FANTASTIC!" yeah yeah yeah

Young guests who ask where the elevator is when my 85 year old guests jog up the stairs. Young guests who decline to stay when they realize there is no elevator.

Ice said:
and I bought a brand new guest book and put it in the parlor on the table. Every guest opens it and reads the one or two comments since SEPT and then closed it again. !! I can't get them to sign THAT or review and they say "We will tell ALL OUR FRIENDS! THIS IS FANTASTIC!" yeah yeah yeah
Brand new guest books are the worst. I even label the new ones as 'Book 2' or 'Book 3' so guests don't think no one ever writes in them. I have rooms that I've never changed the book in and that's going on 10 years.

Young guests who ask where the elevator is when my 85 year old guests jog up the stairs. Young guests who decline to stay when they realize there is no elevator..
its the ones that come and then look at the building and then ask where the lift is make me laugh! Mind you the general incompetance continues to surprise me. The group that stayed last weekend (all disabled) their secretary emailed to say she had paid when she booked so why did I charge all the guests? said we do not charge on booking and we did tell you when you booked it was just for security you did not auhorise us to use the card details which you would not be allowed to do as you are not named on the card. We did not receive signed authorisation from the card holder so if we had charged it then this would be fraud. Therefore we charged each individual as they assured us they would be able to claim it back. I pointed out we are not a travel lodge that charges you in full on point of booking and then is non refundanble. Hope that she got it in the ear from them all the complete idiot.

Young guests who ask where the elevator is when my 85 year old guests jog up the stairs. Young guests who decline to stay when they realize there is no elevator..
its the ones that come and then look at the building and then ask where the lift is make me laugh! Mind you the general incompetance continues to surprise me. The group that stayed last weekend (all disabled) their secretary emailed to say she had paid when she booked so why did I charge all the guests? said we do not charge on booking and we did tell you when you booked it was just for security you did not auhorise us to use the card details which you would not be allowed to do as you are not named on the card. We did not receive signed authorisation from the card holder so if we had charged it then this would be fraud. Therefore we charged each individual as they assured us they would be able to claim it back. I pointed out we are not a travel lodge that charges you in full on point of booking and then is non refundanble. Hope that she got it in the ear from them all the complete idiot.
Can I go on a little more about the stairs and the elevator? It's really bothering me. Given the number of complaints and eye-rolling I've witnessed this year, my guess is that 90% of this country must live either in a ranch house or an apartment house with an elevator. When they leave their enclaves to travel, they should account for places that do not have, never will have and think it is ludicrous to have an elevator for a 2 storey home. And I'm not even talking about guests with mobility issues, I'm talking about lazy people. You know who they are, too- the ones who drive to their mailbox at the end of their 30' driveway, drive around for 20 minutes until the lone non-handicap parking spot opens up in front of WalMart, who won't walk 2 blocks to go out for ice cream. (People with mobility issues have my sympathy when they travel to New England. It's all old houses here, houses with narrow hallways, steep stairs, twisty-turny corners everywhere.)
And who do they think is running up and down those same stairs 50 times/day cleaning those rooms? Fairies with wings? No, the old people who made your breakfast, that's who.

Can I go on a little more about the stairs and the elevator? It's really bothering me. Given the number of complaints and eye-rolling I've witnessed this year, my guess is that 90% of this country must live either in a ranch house or an apartment house with an elevator. When they leave their enclaves to travel, they should account for places that do not have, never will have and think it is ludicrous to have an elevator for a 2 storey home. And I'm not even talking about guests with mobility issues, I'm talking about lazy people. You know who they are, too- the ones who drive to their mailbox at the end of their 30' driveway, drive around for 20 minutes until the lone non-handicap parking spot opens up in front of WalMart, who won't walk 2 blocks to go out for ice cream. (People with mobility issues have my sympathy when they travel to New England. It's all old houses here, houses with narrow hallways, steep stairs, twisty-turny corners everywhere.)
And who do they think is running up and down those same stairs 50 times/day cleaning those rooms? Fairies with wings? No, the old people who made your breakfast, that's who.
Magical old fairies who make breakfast using their wings. I hear ya, what we lug up and down in a day...THEY ARE A PACK OF SOOKY SOOKS!
A man, and I kid you not, is walking next door to eat some country cookin' and wants an umbrella (USA), yeah that's right a bumbershoot (PAc Nw) a brully (Oz). Next door, under a 250 feet walk door to door. No, it is not raining, no there is not thunder. Yes it has rained - - - - today. Bless his heart.

Back