What irritates you?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to add:
- key left in the front door
- wet towels on antique furniture
- laundry dripping in the bedroom or in shared bathroom(!)
- "do you have vacancy next week" calls at 1 am made with from a local number (hello- do you have a clock?)
- last minute cancelation because they are "sick" or somebody "died". - lies.
April said:
"do you have vacancy next week" calls at 1 am made with from a local number (hello- do you have a clock?) -
OMG, you're singing my tune. Or even if they're NOT a local number....have they really never heard of timezones?
Are you kidding? "time zones"? - They just to ignorant- they need the answer right away

Young guests who ask where the elevator is when my 85 year old guests jog up the stairs. Young guests who decline to stay when they realize there is no elevator..
its the ones that come and then look at the building and then ask where the lift is make me laugh! Mind you the general incompetance continues to surprise me. The group that stayed last weekend (all disabled) their secretary emailed to say she had paid when she booked so why did I charge all the guests? said we do not charge on booking and we did tell you when you booked it was just for security you did not auhorise us to use the card details which you would not be allowed to do as you are not named on the card. We did not receive signed authorisation from the card holder so if we had charged it then this would be fraud. Therefore we charged each individual as they assured us they would be able to claim it back. I pointed out we are not a travel lodge that charges you in full on point of booking and then is non refundanble. Hope that she got it in the ear from them all the complete idiot.
Can I go on a little more about the stairs and the elevator? It's really bothering me. Given the number of complaints and eye-rolling I've witnessed this year, my guess is that 90% of this country must live either in a ranch house or an apartment house with an elevator. When they leave their enclaves to travel, they should account for places that do not have, never will have and think it is ludicrous to have an elevator for a 2 storey home. And I'm not even talking about guests with mobility issues, I'm talking about lazy people. You know who they are, too- the ones who drive to their mailbox at the end of their 30' driveway, drive around for 20 minutes until the lone non-handicap parking spot opens up in front of WalMart, who won't walk 2 blocks to go out for ice cream. (People with mobility issues have my sympathy when they travel to New England. It's all old houses here, houses with narrow hallways, steep stairs, twisty-turny corners everywhere.)
And who do they think is running up and down those same stairs 50 times/day cleaning those rooms? Fairies with wings? No, the old people who made your breakfast, that's who.
oops...dup post...

When guests don't read any of the provided info, they just come looking for us (or worse, don't bother and then complain the next day). If I have WiFi why would I not provide you with the passcode? If there is a coffee maker right there why would I not let you use it? If I have lived here many moons, why would I not have thought (doh!) to put lots of info in a book in the guest room labeled 'Useful information for guests.'
OK, new plan. It is obvious I am swimming upstream in a spring thaw on this one. Now the guest books go on the bed. On top of those go the nice, plastic stands with the pertinent, immediately needed info. ('How do I get on the wireless?')
Guest will have to move these in order to get into the bed. Or not, I suppose. Perhaps there will be an inkling that there is some sort of necessary info in there. Maybe.

When guests don't read any of the provided info, they just come looking for us (or worse, don't bother and then complain the next day). If I have WiFi why would I not provide you with the passcode? If there is a coffee maker right there why would I not let you use it? If I have lived here many moons, why would I not have thought (doh!) to put lots of info in a book in the guest room labeled 'Useful information for guests.'
OK, new plan. It is obvious I am swimming upstream in a spring thaw on this one. Now the guest books go on the bed. On top of those go the nice, plastic stands with the pertinent, immediately needed info. ('How do I get on the wireless?')
Guest will have to move these in order to get into the bed. Or not, I suppose. Perhaps there will be an inkling that there is some sort of necessary info in there. Maybe..
That's what I did...put the guest binders right on the bind, opened to the "Quick Info" sheet. You can lead a horse to water,....

Guest will have to move these in order to get into the bed. Or not, I suppose. Perhaps there will be an inkling that there is some sort of necessary info in there. Maybe..
That's what I did...put the guest binders right on the bind, opened to the "Quick Info" sheet. You can lead a horse to water,....
Samster said:
You can lead a horse to water,....
...but you can't make him think.

Samster said:
You can lead a horse to water,....
...but you can't make him think.
Madeleine, you said a mouthful there!

Guests who ask if they can leave their luggage to pick it up later after they check out and than come back and take over the living room for hours. Check out was at 11am now is 6pm and their flight is at 10 pm so they propably will be here for 4 more hours!!! They using my bathroom, wifi, talk very loud on the phone (all the time-looks like conducting some business), chandelier blasting on full-nobody can use that room. Next they will ask me for tea or coffe and I will "blow the fuse". Somebody told me one that often people confuse act of kindness with weakness.

Guests who ask if they can leave their luggage to pick it up later after they check out and than come back and take over the living room for hours. Check out was at 11am now is 6pm and their flight is at 10 pm so they propably will be here for 4 more hours!!! They using my bathroom, wifi, talk very loud on the phone (all the time-looks like conducting some business), chandelier blasting on full-nobody can use that room. Next they will ask me for tea or coffe and I will "blow the fuse". Somebody told me one that often people confuse act of kindness with weakness..
April said:
Guests who ask if they can leave their luggage to pick it up later after they check out and than come back and take over the living room for hours. Check out was at 11am now is 6pm and their flight is at 10 pm so they propably will be here for 4 more hours!!! They using my bathroom, wifi, talk very loud on the phone (all the time-looks like conducting some business), chandelier blasting on full-nobody can use that room. Next they will ask me for tea or coffe and I will "blow the fuse". Somebody told me one that often people confuse act of kindness with weakness.
Something to consider for another day- 'Yes, we are happy to keep the luggage here until 1 PM, then we must have the area clear for incoming guests, we're sure you understand.'
Better still is to preface it with, 'Oh yes, we do this all the time for guests, who appreciate leaving their luggage while they go out for lunch. We'll see you back here at 1 PM. Have a good time!'
Essentially, 'your luggage may stay, you must go. And your luggage must go by 1 PM.'
I generally ask guests during breakfast what their plans are for the day. If anyone mentions catching a plane I always ask what time is that plane departing. Guests who want to linger until 10 PM are actually staying another night and should pay for that. If they don't want to pay, they must leave.
We don't always have the room, so we are pretty clear about having everything out of the house by 1 PM and the guests NOT sitting around using the facilities. I know they have done this in the past and gone into cleaned guest rooms and used the facilities, towels, laid on the beds, etc. So, if we do let anyone leave their bags, we lock all the room doors as well as the laundry room.

Guests who ask if they can leave their luggage to pick it up later after they check out and than come back and take over the living room for hours. Check out was at 11am now is 6pm and their flight is at 10 pm so they propably will be here for 4 more hours!!! They using my bathroom, wifi, talk very loud on the phone (all the time-looks like conducting some business), chandelier blasting on full-nobody can use that room. Next they will ask me for tea or coffe and I will "blow the fuse". Somebody told me one that often people confuse act of kindness with weakness..
April said:
Something to consider for another day- 'Yes, we are happy to keep the luggage here until 1 PM, then we must have the area clear for incoming guests, we're sure you understand.'
Better still is to preface it with, 'Oh yes, we do this all the time for guests, who appreciate leaving their luggage while they go out for lunch. We'll see you back here at 1 PM. Have a good time!'
Essentially, 'your luggage may stay, you must go. And your luggage must go by 1 PM.'
I generally ask guests during breakfast what their plans are for the day. If anyone mentions catching a plane I always ask what time is that plane departing. Guests who want to linger until 10 PM are actually staying another night and should pay for that. If they don't want to pay, they must leave.
We don't always have the room, so we are pretty clear about having everything out of the house by 1 PM and the guests NOT sitting around using the facilities. I know they have done this in the past and gone into cleaned guest rooms and used the facilities, towels, laid on the beds, etc. So, if we do let anyone leave their bags, we lock all the room doors as well as the laundry room.
Since we all know they would say they did not realize it was after 1 PM, I would suggest adding the sentence - there will be a $50 charge for luggage left beyond 1 PM. Make it big enough to get their attention.

April said:
Have to say that this is the first time somebody "took as for such a ride" We are in very large city and a lot of European flights are in the evening. Until now even if they left teir lugguage till evening they did not sit at our home all day. I feel so used.

April said:
Since we all know they would say they did not realize it was after 1 PM, I would suggest adding the sentence - there will be a $50 charge for luggage left beyond 1 PM. Make it big enough to get their attention.
gillumhouse said:
Given this particular couple will practically be family before they leave, I'm not sure $50 is enough. If you knew you could park your luggage and yourself for $50 for 12 hours, you'd probably say, 'Great, here's my card!' and settle in for the long haul.
There's no way to get around every pill that wants to take advantage. Sometimes we just have to say, 'Hit the road, Jack.' Of course, then we get reviews saying how unprofessional we are, how ungracious, and etc.

April said:
We don't store anything here, it is like the airport thing "Has your luggage been in the possession of any other person other than yourself?" Nope, you go so does the luggage.

April said:
Have to say that this is the first time somebody "took as for such a ride" We are in very large city and a lot of European flights are in the evening. Until now even if they left teir lugguage till evening they did not sit at our home all day. I feel so used.
I can understand why - you HAVE been abused.

April said:
I can understand why - you HAVE been abused.
This for mum has been supporting group for me in more than one time. Thank you all.

April said:
They made a contract with you to leave at a certain time. If they are hanging around the long, call the cops. They're trespassing.

can you say "NO!" You cannot allow this. they are taking advantage of you. If you want to do it, you must state policy clearly. This is a charge to leave your luggage. You may come back, pick it up and leave. You are not entitled to anything else
pita.gif

People who MUST check in early and then don't show up when they've said they would.
People who ask me "what can you do for me" when inquiring about booking a room with us.
People who ask me if our breakfasts are good or place is nice-- IT'S MY HOME AND I DO THE COOKING-- WHAT DO YOU THINK I WILL SAY??
One-night stays who want to come early,stay late, use the fireplace (in July), take a 40 minute shower (in a high desert environment that has had two consecutive years of drought), load up on cookies to take to their room and then not eat them all (or have the decency to throw them out somewhere not in front of the hostess who made them).
I'm sorry, am I raving? I have been making breakfasts every morning since May 16th. I am going on vacation on November 2nd, but it seems like it is a LONG way away....

They were told at check in the front door remains closed, here is the code, that is why there is a code, to open the door, right? There is also a note in RED on the door THIS DOOR TO REMAIN CLOSED AT ALL TIMES.
So out they go, door wide open. DH just said "Since they are gone, how about I go up and unlock and open THEIR door and leave it wide open?"
(PS we are waiting to leave as we have a memorial and we can't be here 24/7 things happen, we have to be gone from here from time to time, this is why, as DH said, "Can we never leave this place? Even for one moment?")

They were told at check in the front door remains closed, here is the code, that is why there is a code, to open the door, right? There is also a note in RED on the door THIS DOOR TO REMAIN CLOSED AT ALL TIMES.
So out they go, door wide open. DH just said "Since they are gone, how about I go up and unlock and open THEIR door and leave it wide open?"
(PS we are waiting to leave as we have a memorial and we can't be here 24/7 things happen, we have to be gone from here from time to time, this is why, as DH said, "Can we never leave this place? Even for one moment?").
I'm with your DH...go open their door and leave it that way. They must have left it open themselves, right? YOU aren't home!

Back