What irritates you?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

April

Reaction score
My short list of irritants:
- guest moving the furniture in the bedroom
- undoing and ruining curtain tassels
- plugging the toilet
- taking food from the breakfast table "for later"
- leaving front door unlocked
- leaving the lights on when out
- having windows open and AC on
- setting up the arrival time and show up 5 + hours later
- taking a shower or better air tub after midnight
- smoking inside!!!!!!
- ignoring check out time
- parking at the entrance of our driveway and blocking everybody from entering
- choosing "no breakfast" option and loading on our free coffe
- using my white towels for anything else other that what intended such us wiping shoes
- wine stains on marble, frurniture, linen, etc
- greasy stains from body lotion on my sheets
Did I cover it all? did not realize that it was so much - I think I need a vacation !!!!

I guess we had it pretty good. The only thing on your list that happened to us was leaving the front door keypad unlocked, and that didn't happen that often. We did have an antique piece of furniture that got cracked and the guests didn't let us know. Overall, our guests were pretty dang nice!!
I thought when I read the title of the thread at first that it was about life in general - drama is what annoys me there!!

April, let me guess this was just ONE ROOM?
confused_smile.gif

Just a few more to add to the list...
  1. Using a wastebasket as an ice bucket and destroying the wood flooring.
  2. Nicking and denting and taking chunks out of the wood furniture and baseboards and trim.
  3. Turning off ALL THE LIGHTS when there are indeed other guests who are in residence!
  4. Opening the door and inviting marketers in.
  5. Permeable smells from body ODOR on the sheets.
  6. Leaving their guest room door OPEN while occupying the room with TV blaring or conversations blaring
  7. Busting open the windows (and cracking the original glass) only to leave the storm windows closed
  8. Unable to eat any food you have because they are health conscious yet sipping mountain dew and chocolate bars
  9. Putting used coffee teaspoons on the table cloth instead of the saucer or in the areas designated for them.
  10. Placing empty spilled artif sweeteners all over the table insetad of the waste baskets that are on both sides of the coffee area
  11. Arriving in multiple cars and parking across all the spaces
  12. Flamboyant acts/disrespectful behavior/sleaziness
  13. Slamming the front door - SLAMMING THE FRONT DOOR!
  14. Smoking a stinky cigar right by the front door (after being told not to)
  15. Crumpling up saturated wet towels on the carpet, not on the tiled bathroom floor or in the shower tub

guests opening the door to people who they don't know (I am on a rant about this this week)
stating they need the earliest breakfast possible and then not showing up at all.
arguing with me about the best way to park (who lives here and parks cars all day long?)
people from other places trying to check in with me and giving me a stroke
people driving round in circles looking for somewhere to park instead of asking
People who can't read the huge sign that says car park round back.

another one people who stand in the hallway having conversations loudly when other people are in rooms all around and don't want to hear your crap!

Forgot to add:
- key left in the front door
- wet towels on antique furniture
- laundry dripping in the bedroom or in shared bathroom(!)
- "do you have vacancy next week" calls at 1 am made with from a local number (hello- do you have a clock?)
- last minute cancelation because they are "sick" or somebody "died". - lies

confused_smile.gif

2. Nicking and denting and taking chunks out of the wood furniture and baseboards and trim.
  3. Turning off ALL THE LIGHTS when there are indeed other guests who are in residence!
  6. Leaving their guest room door OPEN while occupying the room with TV blaring or conversations blaring
  7. Busting open the windows (and cracking the original glass) only to leave the storm windows closed
  8. Unable to eat any food you have because they are health conscious yet sipping mountain dew and chocolate bars
  9. Putting used coffee teaspoons on the table cloth instead of the saucer or in the areas designated for them.
  10. Placing empty spilled artif sweeteners all over the table insetad of the waste baskets that are on both sides of the coffee area
  15. Crumpling up saturated wet towels on the carpet, not on the tiled bathroom floor or in the shower tub
Maybe not all from one, but at this point being so tired it feels like.

1. Going out for the evening leaving the lights on or going out for the day leaving phones, laptops and various other items charging.
2. Parking across the drive so that no-one else can get in or out and then asking "Are we ok to park there"
3. Clearing out all the teas/coffees/hot chocs/biscuits/sweets in the room without actually using them
4. Arriving early and then complaining that no-one was here to let them in
5. People that don't read things put infront of them for their own benefit
6. Using towels to clean shoes or remove make-up
7. companies that bombard me with emails about joining their "innovative" website for a large fee, even though they're no-where to be seen on Google
8. People that order a big cooked breakfast with extras and then leave most of it

confused_smile.gif

#13 in triplicate!!!
angry_smile.gif
(especially when it occurs past 10pm!)
Ditto on just about everything else mentioned as well!!
(amazingly ALL of these things have occurred from only one particular source of guests that I have mentioned in a previous string of posts regarding PITA's)

Oh, let's add to the list....
Not just makeup on the towels, but red lipstick and smeared across.
Breaking items and not being honest enough to either own up to it, or have asked in the first place how to use something so that they don't break it.
Telling me of an allergy or intolerance just before breakfast (too damn bad! Have toast or a banana)
Blood on the sheets/mattress pad, etc. YUCK!
Pee on the sheets/mattress pad, etc. YUCK!
Not properly disposing of their Poise pad (panty liner for incontinence). It comes with a blue plastic pouch to dispose of it.... use it!
Guests who open the window that is holding the AC in.
Stealing anything, including water bottles and an banana to have later. It's stealing, no matter how you justify it to yourself.
I have USB chargers in every room and yet people insist on having four adapters in a row so they can plug in their own USB charger that is drooping off from the circuit because of the weight.
Going into private areas that are clearly marked as private, in two official languages.
Commenting online on private areas that are clearly marked as private because they are just rude.
Rude guests talking American politics at the breakfast table (especially right wing, since it upsets all my Canadian and European guests).
Guests asking private questions of ourselves and other guests. It's no one's business what your marital status is, how you know the person or frankly what sexual positions you like (yes... I've had it asked!)
Married guests who ask me how to find bars, clubs or saunas that they clearly shouldn't be going to and counting on my discretion to point them to their happy ending.
Guests who think that this is France and that we are French and that they want me to point them at: Bistros, but obviously not knowing what a bistro actually is; Creperies, because the locals haven't been to one since the 1970s but since we speak the language we must have them, go to them and of course have magnificient ones; and finally guests who seem to think that I can't be local because I speak English without an accent... damn it, I was born here, grew up here, live here, get over it!
Reviewers who lie and not just white lies, big fat ones! We have had two in a year.
Guests who think that the country just shuts down for the winter and we just go into hibernation. They are surprised that we are open year round, that we have guests year round and that we don't die each year at the end of autumn just to be reborn in the spring.
I'll probably think of a dozen more before the day is done.

Breaking items and not being honest enough to either own up to it, or have asked in the first place how to use something so that they don't break it.
Telling me of an allergy or intolerance just before breakfast (too damn bad! Have toast or a banana)
Not properly disposing of their Poise pad (panty liner for incontinence). It comes with a blue plastic pouch to dispose of it.... use it!
Stealing anything, including water bottles and an banana to have later. It's stealing, no matter how you justify it to yourself.
I have USB chargers in every room and yet people insist on having four adapters in a row so they can plug in their own USB charger that is drooping off from the circuit because of the weight.
Going into private areas that are clearly marked as private, in two official languages.
Commenting online on private areas that are clearly marked as private because they are just rude.
Rude guests talking American politics at the breakfast table (especially right wing, since it upsets all my Canadian and European guests).
Guests asking private questions of ourselves and other guests. It's no one's business what your marital status is, how you know the person or frankly what sexual positions you like (yes... I've had it asked!)
Married guests who ask me how to find bars, clubs or saunas that they clearly shouldn't be going to and counting on my discretion to point them to their happy ending.
Guests who think that this is France and that we are French and that they want me to point them at: Bistros, but obviously not knowing what a bistro actually is; Creperies, because the locals haven't been to one since the 1970s but since we speak the language we must have them, go to them and of course have magnificient ones; and finally guests who seem to think that I can't be local because I speak English without an accent... damn it, I was born here, grew up here, live here, get over it!
Reviewers who lie and not just white lies, big fat ones! We have had two in a year.
Guests who think that the country just shuts down for the winter and we just go into hibernation. They are surprised that we are open year round, that we have guests year round and that we don't die each year at the end of autumn just to be reborn in the spring.
I'll probably think of a dozen more before the day is done..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Lots of guests think the northern states shut down as well. They are surprised to hear we like winter because we can go out and play in the snow. Egads, they like snow!

Guests not giving us the flexibility we need to do a proper job. Demanding things be done their way, when our way has been tested and found to work better. Not to say we don't change, we've changed a lot, but some things we are not able to do 'their' way.

People who expect you to wave your cancellation policy because the weather isn't what they expected - sorry thats what travel insurance is for! duh
Southerners (thats uk ones not USA) who think that one inch of snow is "Traffic chaos" and they couldn't possibly manage!

O boy, you need vacation to

Guests letting us know they'll be arriving late because they have decided to stop and have dinner. 'You do live there, right, we're not keeping you by arriving late?'
No, not keeping me from having any kind of a life, no not at all.

Samster, I agree, DRAMA!
and
Arriving 3 1/3 hrs before check in time. coming back every half hr and ringing the bell!!
and wet towels on antique furniture and 131yr old, original floors!
and laundry dripping in the bedroom.

Guests who expect that somehow a free street parking spot is going to be available. I live in a large metropolitain city with all kinds of parking restrictions!
Guests who expect that everyone is going to be happy to take foreign currency (inspite of it not being legal tender) and give them a great exchange rate. The banks take 3%, $2.50 per deposit and 75c to use a teller.... I'm going to be passing on that inconvenience, sorry.
Guests who ask the same question three times because they think if they ask it often enough, the answer will change. (See Albert Einstein re definition of insanity).
Guests who want me to plan their day and tell them what they will enjoy doing, eating, seeing and buying. I can help plan your day by making suggestions... I am not making decisions for you.
Guests who put cloth napkins on their plate that still has maple syrup (or anything else gooey) still on the plate.
Guests who take my fine china to their rooms without asking. That cup is $35 to replace and you are responsible for it until it returns to my dining room.
Guests who wear wet, muddy or snowy shoes into the house. Do you really want me wearing my muddy shoes into your house, because I'm coming over in two weeks and I'm walking through Mr. Ed's home before I come into your place.
Guests who leave personal items in the shared bathroom. It's shared space, shouldn't someone have taught you to be considerate by now?
Guests who stay in all day (and underfoot). We had one guy who was out of the house maybe 4 hours total on a one week stay. He even brought whey protein drinks so he would not have to go out for lunch or dinner. Sat at the shared PC all day long on FB with his friends. Finally convinced them to go out and they asked to coat check their jacket, so they came back immediately because it would have ruined the look.
Guests who ask you to book a specific restaurant that is really tough to book... a restaurant that doesn't often return it's phone calls.. a restaurant that calls you back the same day to reconfirm... only to not honour their reservation!
Yup... it's official, I need a vacation! 15 more days, 15 more day....

Guests who expect that somehow a free street parking spot is going to be available. I live in a large metropolitain city with all kinds of parking restrictions!
Guests who expect that everyone is going to be happy to take foreign currency (inspite of it not being legal tender) and give them a great exchange rate. The banks take 3%, $2.50 per deposit and 75c to use a teller.... I'm going to be passing on that inconvenience, sorry.
Guests who ask the same question three times because they think if they ask it often enough, the answer will change. (See Albert Einstein re definition of insanity).
Guests who want me to plan their day and tell them what they will enjoy doing, eating, seeing and buying. I can help plan your day by making suggestions... I am not making decisions for you.
Guests who put cloth napkins on their plate that still has maple syrup (or anything else gooey) still on the plate.
Guests who take my fine china to their rooms without asking. That cup is $35 to replace and you are responsible for it until it returns to my dining room.
Guests who wear wet, muddy or snowy shoes into the house. Do you really want me wearing my muddy shoes into your house, because I'm coming over in two weeks and I'm walking through Mr. Ed's home before I come into your place.
Guests who leave personal items in the shared bathroom. It's shared space, shouldn't someone have taught you to be considerate by now?
Guests who stay in all day (and underfoot). We had one guy who was out of the house maybe 4 hours total on a one week stay. He even brought whey protein drinks so he would not have to go out for lunch or dinner. Sat at the shared PC all day long on FB with his friends. Finally convinced them to go out and they asked to coat check their jacket, so they came back immediately because it would have ruined the look.
Guests who ask you to book a specific restaurant that is really tough to book... a restaurant that doesn't often return it's phone calls.. a restaurant that calls you back the same day to reconfirm... only to not honour their reservation!
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Finally convinced them to go out and they asked to coat check their jacket, so they came back immediately because it would have ruined the look....
That's the strangest one yet.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Finally convinced them to go out and they asked to coat check their jacket, so they came back immediately because it would have ruined the look....
Madeleine said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Actually the exact quote... "it would have ruined the ensemble." and of course, I can't even try to do the proper sounding derision.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Actually the exact quote... "it would have ruined the ensemble." and of course, I can't even try to do the proper sounding derision.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
That line doesn't even need <derision> to be dripping with it. We meet all kinds don't we!

Back