What is a bed and breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie Q

Reaction score
I supported our city and their charity last week. They had a Fall Festival. I offered a gift certificate at a silent auction. I got a phone call afterwards. "When does this expire?" Another phone call, "Where are you located?" (Address not on the certificate, by design.) I FINALLY got a call, "What is a bed and breakfast?" I explained and he wondered if I had an opening Friday or Saturday. I said I did not. I offered Sunday. He said that would be good. I asked if he had to be to work on Monday? That gave him reason to pause. This person seems young and dumber than dirt! Has anyone had this type of experience? I am beginning to wonder if he is even 18! Who would bid good $ on something that he had no idea what it was???
Carol

Oh boy.
Was your B&B GC offered in with something else? I know sometimes GC's get bundled together. Maybe with a dinner? Or movie package? I bid on one of those. It was great! B&B plus movie tix. We had a great time.
Your situation makes me wonder if I should put on my next auction GC: must be 21 or older.

Oh boy.
Was your B&B GC offered in with something else? I know sometimes GC's get bundled together. Maybe with a dinner? Or movie package? I bid on one of those. It was great! B&B plus movie tix. We had a great time.
Your situation makes me wonder if I should put on my next auction GC: must be 21 or older..
Nope, just a G.C. It sat alone, along with others along the table, baskets of "stuff," etc.

Oh boy.
Your situation makes me wonder if I should put on my next auction GC: must be 21 or older..
That is a good point about the age of the recipient! I'll remember that. I just donated one that will be bundled with theatre tickets and have our one night stay that will be auctioned off next month but the tickets were not until next Spring! I made the expiration date the day after the theatre tickets, which is 6 months from their auction event. In addition to "not redeemable for cash", blah, blah, blah, I also put on the GC that the recipient had to call by 2 weeks before the date to give their booking information. I am holding that room for a long time!

Just remember to put on the GC somewhere SAME POLICIES apply to GC as regularly booked rooms. That way you won't have to print it all on there. Refer them to the website for policies.

Clearly state the conditions on any donation gift certificate!! And make them strict. Put a definite expiration date on it. No cash value etc etc..

InnsiderInfo said:
It became such a frequent problem that when we can we opt to give a flat donation versus the GC,
Why not a Buy One Night, Get One Night Free, or something to that effect?

I had on our local tv station and there is a new youth center going in for at risk youth. One person there introduced themselves and the host asked what they do for the center? She said she and another girl are the ones who call local businesses for donations.
!!!
Leave me alone, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease. I can give away more than I can book in around here. Nice to find out they have TWO people on staff to call and beg for donations.

Just remember to put on the GC somewhere SAME POLICIES apply to GC as regularly booked rooms. That way you won't have to print it all on there. Refer them to the website for policies..
"All Inn Policies apply" is what I put. Y'all have taught me well
regular_smile.gif

Clearly state the conditions on any donation gift certificate!! And make them strict. Put a definite expiration date on it. No cash value etc etc...
Our state says regardless of expiration date or not, if it is unredeemed, we need to let the State know, so they can put it on the "lost property" site.
C

Put it in your taxes under advertising. That is what it is - sdvertising. You would not be doing it if not for the exposure. An old innkeeper taught me that. My (former) accountant told me the same thing about can olny decuct food and laundry expenses. Nope - it is advertising and marketing.

I was told in aspiring innkeeping classes that a B&B night donated could not be deducted in any way, shape or form. I am guessing that's why Guillum was advised to list it as an advertising expense.
Riki

I was told in aspiring innkeeping classes that a B&B night donated could not be deducted in any way, shape or form. I am guessing that's why Guillum was advised to list it as an advertising expense.
Riki.
The advice you got about donated GCs is the standard accounting practice per the IRS guidelines for the auditing of a B&B business - a VA accountant shared those at a conference two years ago. I would guess there might be a grey area if you gave a night and were listed in the advertising materials, but I'm pretty sure the IRS interprets barter situations to their tax collection benefit, not your tax payment benefit.
We now only give GCs for donations that are BOGOs, and we give very few of those any more. Only to causes we are active in, and occasionally to a worthy cause that's located in a market we are more likely to get guests in.

InnsiderInfo said:
Of course I'm no accounting expert, but in our state, and in accordance with how we are incorporated (S-Corp), you cannot deduct the entire room night dollar value as an advertising expense. Having had a previous occupation that was also a professional service as opposed to a good (and in a different state) the IRS rule is the same...you cannot deduct the cost of the room night as advertising (you CAN deduct it as advertising if you donate an actual dollar amount). If you donate a GC for a night(s) stay, you can only deduct your actual costs involved in the stay (groceries and laundry, etc).
And of course, there are lots of ways to be creative in our own individual accounting. I just try to stay completely on the non-creative side though, because home based businesses are one of the top "flags" for IRS auditors and I definitely don't want to go there!
When I have donated it DO put "Valued at $" on it, does this make a diff? I do this so those bidding realize the value of the gc.

Riki.
The advice you got about donated GCs is the standard accounting practice per the IRS guidelines for the auditing of a B&B business - a VA accountant shared those at a conference two years ago. I would guess there might be a grey area if you gave a night and were listed in the advertising materials, but I'm pretty sure the IRS interprets barter situations to their tax collection benefit, not your tax payment benefit.
We now only give GCs for donations that are BOGOs, and we give very few of those any more. Only to causes we are active in, and occasionally to a worthy cause that's located in a market we are more likely to get guests in.
I agree about causes that you're involved in or are near and dear to your heart! I donated this one because of possible exposure to a large gathering in a nearby market. Good points!!

Put it in your taxes under advertising. That is what it is - sdvertising. You would not be doing it if not for the exposure. An old innkeeper taught me that. My (former) accountant told me the same thing about can olny decuct food and laundry expenses. Nope - it is advertising and marketing..

InnsiderInfo said:
Of course I'm no accounting expert, but in our state, and in accordance with how we are incorporated (S-Corp), you cannot deduct the entire room night dollar value as an advertising expense. Having had a previous occupation that was also a professional service as opposed to a good (and in a different state) the IRS rule is the same...you cannot deduct the cost of the room night as advertising (you CAN deduct it as advertising if you donate an actual dollar amount). If you donate a GC for a night(s) stay, you can only deduct your actual costs involved in the stay (groceries and laundry, etc).
And of course, there are lots of ways to be creative in our own individual accounting. I just try to stay completely on the non-creative side though, because home based businesses are one of the top "flags" for IRS auditors and I definitely don't want to go there!
When I have donated it DO put "Valued at $" on it, does this make a diff? I do this so those bidding realize the value of the gc..

After getting a few odd balls (to put it nicely) from donating rooms, we've now started giving 50% off a one nights stay and only valid Sun- Thurs, exp. date is usually within 6 months. So far that has worked...Starting to think about the buy one night get one night free. We do occasionally give the one night away, but not as often.

Back