What is a cot?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A typical cot. Not very comfortable!
cot1.gif
Yes, this is exactly what I picture when I hear "cot"

I could only laugh and think of this discussion here. We have a college graduation, the long and short of it is we have a two night min and have parents scheming to get out of that.
One couple rented two rooms for the two nights. Then she called and changed it to one for one night. etc etc the games have been going on.
Yesterday, one who rented two rooms emailed to say their one son can sleep on a cot on the floor in their room, and they wouldn't need to second room. Well, you paid for it, so use it or not, it is yours, I didn't even reply, it was on the day. They arrived at 930pm last night btw.
So today, I meet the parents and the son who was supposed to be given a cot to sleep in their room, he is TWENTY TWO YEARS OLD. A MAN. NOT A KID.
cry_smile.gif

I was thinking of HighlandsJohn who was guessing a cot was for a baby, and how funny that would have been to have one in their room for him!

I could only laugh and think of this discussion here. We have a college graduation, the long and short of it is we have a two night min and have parents scheming to get out of that.
One couple rented two rooms for the two nights. Then she called and changed it to one for one night. etc etc the games have been going on.
Yesterday, one who rented two rooms emailed to say their one son can sleep on a cot on the floor in their room, and they wouldn't need to second room. Well, you paid for it, so use it or not, it is yours, I didn't even reply, it was on the day. They arrived at 930pm last night btw.
So today, I meet the parents and the son who was supposed to be given a cot to sleep in their room, he is TWENTY TWO YEARS OLD. A MAN. NOT A KID.
cry_smile.gif

I was thinking of HighlandsJohn who was guessing a cot was for a baby, and how funny that would have been to have one in their room for him!.
We often get frantic parents calling right before graduation when they are finally told by the graduate that the residence halls close IMMEDIATELY after graduation is over. (So, around 4 PM.) They need a place for the grad to sleep. It's tough when the college kicks the fledgling out of the nest so 'abruptly'!
Some parents know this (from other kids) or they actually read the info and they book in advance. And then the graduate tells them they made other plans so we get cancels the week before. It all works out.
(Won't compromise on the two night min, tho. Someone snuck in with 2 rooms for a single night last year because I didn't have a chance to set the min when their rez came in. Will not do that again!)

cry_smile.gif

I was thinking of HighlandsJohn who was guessing a cot was for a baby, and how funny that would have been to have one in their room for him!.
Try this. On confirmations write "Please note: Reservations cannot be modified, they will simply be cancelled. You are then welcome to rebook, subject to the current price and conditions of minimum stay. Please govern yourself accordingly."
You would be surprised how many people think twice about pulling those tricks. When they email me, I tell them that the software does not allow me to modify reservations because the terms have not been electronically signed, but I will gladly cancel their stay. They will need to rebook the room themselves, subject to availability and minimum stay. Sorry about that.
The reality, once you modify a reservation for a guest, the electronic signature is no longer valid. If you want to protect yourself they need to make that reservation, again, electronically.

cry_smile.gif

Try this. On confirmations write "Please note: Reservations cannot be modified, they will simply be cancelled. You are then welcome to rebook, subject to the current price and conditions of minimum stay. Please govern yourself accordingly."
You would be surprised how many people think twice about pulling those tricks. When they email me, I tell them that the software does not allow me to modify reservations because the terms have not been electronically signed, but I will gladly cancel their stay. They will need to rebook the room themselves, subject to availability and minimum stay. Sorry about that.
The reality, once you modify a reservation for a guest, the electronic signature is no longer valid. If you want to protect yourself they need to make that reservation, again, electronically.
By coincidence, on the subject of minimum stays.............
We have a two night minimum from may -Sept, but I'm pretty flexible about it, if a booking backs on to another and it's May or September I'll take it (if I'm in a good mood). I have a booking for two rooms late September for 1 night, it's towards the end of the month and it'll be quietening down by then, so I took it. Leaves 1 room available for that night.
Had an email this afternoon from someone wanting two rooms for 3 nights, the above booking is the middle night so can't do it (a pain I know, but I took the booking). But in the email she says "Given your note that "We reserve the right to decline one night bookings" I wonder if that booking could be restructured to accommodate our booking.
Restructure................is that a new code word for cancel their booking and take ours? Really? You want me to cancel their booking and take yours? And if another group of 4 come along and want say 4 nights are you happy for me to "restructure" your booking to accept theirs??

cry_smile.gif

By coincidence, on the subject of minimum stays.............
We have a two night minimum from may -Sept, but I'm pretty flexible about it, if a booking backs on to another and it's May or September I'll take it (if I'm in a good mood). I have a booking for two rooms late September for 1 night, it's towards the end of the month and it'll be quietening down by then, so I took it. Leaves 1 room available for that night.
Had an email this afternoon from someone wanting two rooms for 3 nights, the above booking is the middle night so can't do it (a pain I know, but I took the booking). But in the email she says "Given your note that "We reserve the right to decline one night bookings" I wonder if that booking could be restructured to accommodate our booking.
Restructure................is that a new code word for cancel their booking and take ours? Really? You want me to cancel their booking and take yours? And if another group of 4 come along and want say 4 nights are you happy for me to "restructure" your booking to accept theirs??
we have a neighbour who frequently does this "has a plumbing emergecy" and books people out. Dont think its the right way to do business - if they make a contract with me - then thats the deal - how do we expect people to honour their bookings if we don't?

Back