What is a cot?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
In the UK a "cot" is a small bed with bars all the way round that you put a baby or toddler in.
Since I've just received a booking from people from the US for a "cot for our 10 year old son" I'm guessing it has a slightly different meaning across the pond ???

Couple of ideas on local meaning...a camp bed. (Like you used to see in old safari or war movies.)
A fold-away bed. One that folds up in the middle to store in a closet.
Oddly, I just got one from your side of the pond asking for a cot and I think they wanted a crib. Which we don't have.

BTW, it was the height of cool when I was a kid to get to sleep in the camp bed. It was nothing more than canvas laced into an aluminum frame. It was probably less involved than a standard beach chair is now! Everyone wanted the cot instead of the regular bed!

Couple of ideas on local meaning...a camp bed. (Like you used to see in old safari or war movies.)
A fold-away bed. One that folds up in the middle to store in a closet.
Oddly, I just got one from your side of the pond asking for a cot and I think they wanted a crib. Which we don't have..
Ah, yes. To me a cot is a crib.

A typical cot. Not very comfortable!
cot1.gif

In my vernacular that just means "We can toss the ten year old anywhere" I don't think they expect you to have a cot. People don't have cots here at lodging establishments. Roll-away bed or futon or something is probably what they mean, or the kid is with us, he can sleep anywhere.

The other thing this brings to mind is do you even TAKE 3 in a room or did they just assume it was no big deal?
We do get that a fair amount here - 'Just put a roll away in the room for the kid (my sister, my aged aunt, my mother, whomever).'
'Just' is something we don't do!

Cot is anything from a piece of canvas over pieces of wood supporting it (a la Army cot and uncomfortable as hell) to a piece of canvas held up by steel rods with supports on springs (the kind I have - still not "comfortable" but not bad as there are supports at 3 places that attach to the steel rods with heavy springs) that we used when camping. - to rollaways. It covers a lot of territory to be referred to as an extra bed. As said, something with railings to keep the little bugger where he belongs (until they learn to climb out of it) is a crib. Ours are used for toddlers to teens and i put an "egg-crate" foam covered with a mattress pad and then sheets on them. It is about 8 inches off the floor and when folded up and in its canvas case takes up as much space as a folding camp chair.

Cot is anything from a piece of canvas over pieces of wood supporting it (a la Army cot and uncomfortable as hell) to a piece of canvas held up by steel rods with supports on springs (the kind I have - still not "comfortable" but not bad as there are supports at 3 places that attach to the steel rods with heavy springs) that we used when camping. - to rollaways. It covers a lot of territory to be referred to as an extra bed. As said, something with railings to keep the little bugger where he belongs (until they learn to climb out of it) is a crib. Ours are used for toddlers to teens and i put an "egg-crate" foam covered with a mattress pad and then sheets on them. It is about 8 inches off the floor and when folded up and in its canvas case takes up as much space as a folding camp chair..
That was my suspicion, my concern was did they mean to put "10 month old" when they put "10 year old".

Cot is anything from a piece of canvas over pieces of wood supporting it (a la Army cot and uncomfortable as hell) to a piece of canvas held up by steel rods with supports on springs (the kind I have - still not "comfortable" but not bad as there are supports at 3 places that attach to the steel rods with heavy springs) that we used when camping. - to rollaways. It covers a lot of territory to be referred to as an extra bed. As said, something with railings to keep the little bugger where he belongs (until they learn to climb out of it) is a crib. Ours are used for toddlers to teens and i put an "egg-crate" foam covered with a mattress pad and then sheets on them. It is about 8 inches off the floor and when folded up and in its canvas case takes up as much space as a folding camp chair..
That was my suspicion, my concern was did they mean to put "10 month old" when they put "10 year old".
"10 year old son" would be a 10 YEAR old. Without the 'son' it could go either way. Most people, oddly, refer to babies as just that - "10 month old baby" or "10 month old" not "10 month old son". At least in my experience. If they bother to tell you the age at all.

Here in my part of the world (mid west) cot = roll-a-way

Then there are these little cots, called "finger cots" that doctors sometimes slip on to do exams without putting on a full-sized glove. I think I'd just go with the full glove!
oimg_GC04596800_CA04596959.jpg

A roll-away bed of some sort. Torture to some of us..
Torture? My kid brother slept on a roll-away for 3 years until his student loans were paid off. He slept with his feet flat on the floor - he is 7'1".
I slept on a bed which consisted of a piece of foam over a piece of plywood on a metal frame for years. Now, you would have to offer a cash incentive to get me to do it again. :)

A roll-away bed of some sort. Torture to some of us..
Torture? My kid brother slept on a roll-away for 3 years until his student loans were paid off. He slept with his feet flat on the floor - he is 7'1".
I slept on a bed which consisted of a piece of foam over a piece of plywood on a metal frame for years. Now, you would have to offer a cash incentive to get me to do it again. :)
I do not think there is enough money to get my brother to do a repeat.

Then there are these little cots, called "finger cots" that doctors sometimes slip on to do exams without putting on a full-sized glove. I think I'd just go with the full glove!
Of course you had to go in that direction...
embaressed_smile.gif
Good grief, I don't know of any health professional that doesn't use a full glove with universal precautions.
Finger cots are also used by people that handle a lot of documents or having to count papers.

embaressed_smile.gif
Good grief, I don't know of any health professional that doesn't use a full glove with universal precautions.
Finger cots are also used by people that handle a lot of documents or having to count papers.
Samster said:
...I don't know of any health professional that doesn't use a full glove with universal precautions.
And how do they get the thing off their finger without touching it and contaminating the clean hand! Definitely a cot of a bygone era...I hope!

embaressed_smile.gif
Samster said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Or cut themselves on Chopped.

Back