What is great service?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent article. Great service really IS about the little things. It's a fine line between service and hovering.
One little thing I do is watch to see what our guest uses in their coffee...on our 24 hour beverage service, I have the little individual liquid creamers in 3 different flavors because no refrigeration is needed. If during the day, I notice someone using the dry creamer packet which is supposed to have cream flavor (yuck, those things are nasty), without asking, I'll go to the kitchen and get them a little pitcher of 1/2 & 1/2 to take with them to their fridge in their room. You can't imagine how they think I'm amazing, but it's really a very simple task.
It's the simple things.
Can any others share a simple trick they use?

Excellent article. Great service really IS about the little things. It's a fine line between service and hovering.
One little thing I do is watch to see what our guest uses in their coffee...on our 24 hour beverage service, I have the little individual liquid creamers in 3 different flavors because no refrigeration is needed. If during the day, I notice someone using the dry creamer packet which is supposed to have cream flavor (yuck, those things are nasty), without asking, I'll go to the kitchen and get them a little pitcher of 1/2 & 1/2 to take with them to their fridge in their room. You can't imagine how they think I'm amazing, but it's really a very simple task.
It's the simple things.
Can any others share a simple trick they use?.
Because we see everyone for breakfast, I will remember what they like (sausage/no sausage, oj vs apple juice, grape jelly vs strawberry, caf vs decaf) and serve them without their needing to ask. Year after year, not just the same couple of days. Right down to lemon with their water (no ice) and cottage cheese with their eggs. Even though we do not serve lemon or cottage cheese as a rule. And I actually remember it, not just write it down in the guest notes.

I will ask here how does everyone else do this- without interruptng the guests deep in conversation and without hovering nearby waiting to pounce, how do you ask if they need anything? We semi cook to order so I must ask what they would like with their main course without interrupting conversations intra- and inter-table. It can be awkward.
And I do need to keep them moving along so everyone can be seated. So I cannot wait 20 minutes and I do not think the guests want to wait 20 minutes to be served!
'Excuse me.' Is that all I need to say?

I will ask here how does everyone else do this- without interruptng the guests deep in conversation and without hovering nearby waiting to pounce, how do you ask if they need anything? We semi cook to order so I must ask what they would like with their main course without interrupting conversations intra- and inter-table. It can be awkward.
And I do need to keep them moving along so everyone can be seated. So I cannot wait 20 minutes and I do not think the guests want to wait 20 minutes to be served!
'Excuse me.' Is that all I need to say?.
That works or if someone is chatting, you can always say something like, "I'm so sorry to interrupt your converstation, but what can I get you to go with your entree?" or whatever it is that you're asking. I wouldn't think that guests would mind that. :)

Back