What is it about this Forum??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
I can't put my finger on it. It's SO active. I am so impressed with how connected everyone is with each other. Honestly, it is awesome.
I think it was Catlady who says (or maybe Gillum House, sorry) you have no competition. No one else has you. I just want to say to whoever the "yous" are: You guys are amazing. I know Swirt is one of the Wise Ones.
So, hat's off to you and the atmosphere of welcoming, acceptance (if you can take your lumps and come back for more from a bunch of determined and opinionated people), transparency (even with the anons), and knowledge.
This forum rocks.

cheers.gif

Thanks Penelope. I am glad you are enjoying it. Thanks for being a part of it all.

There's no place like home...
I think we're so active because there are people from everywhere on here and it seems easy to post about anything. Guest issues, your own vacation questions, death of pets, anything pretty much. And you can go away for a few weeks/months and still jump right back in and feel like you know everyone.

Yes, EACH of us is an entity that cannot be replicated and just as it makes each of our inns unique, it also contributes to the liveliness of this forum. We are a group who really cares about being helpful to aspirings, newbies, and each other. The friendships are just as important to us.
Other forums may deal with innkeeping questions but the coffeeklatch feeling is missing. I do not get the feeling of caring on the other Forum I visit thsat I get here. Knowledge and opinionsm yes, but the feeling that I matter as a person is missing, in fact I have received replies to posts from people who do know me that have bordered on being put-downs. I would understand it more if they did not know me from Adam.
Helping each other through times of trouble - be it guests, family, pets - and sharing our joys and triumphs is what makes the difference.

Maybe it's just me, but, it seems as though, over the past couple of weeks, there have been quite a few new "faces".
teeth_smile.gif

There is an interesting blog post about the downside of Twitter (and you could substitute Facebook, this Forum, your blog, or whatever social media you want). It includes this in the last paragraph, from Howard Levitan:
[FONT= &quot]I guess that this is the other side of social media, so be prepared to perhaps get your pride wounded here and there. [/FONT]The fact is that not everyone will like what you say, and some will even un-follow you or use the “block” to make you feel even worse. The answer is to keep it all honest, and remember that your voice may not always resonate. Some may not agree and others may really disagree.[FONT= &quot]
[/FONT]

This forum is like our guests - 99% good and 1% not good, and you just have to decide that the good (sharing stories, finding common ground) is better than the not good (being told we are not 'smart and cohesive). That's why I continue to participate here.

Also this can be a business that for stretches can be out of touch with the world. We are so busy in the inn we don't get a chance or have the energy to go and socialize. This forum gives me my water cooler time and talk. With a full time job and the B&B I don't at this time have much energy and time for many friends. So I really look forward to "chatting" here.
Thanks all!
Riki

Yep... that was me. We are not the competition...we are compatriots in the innkeeping business. That is why some of us have been here so long and a real Internet Buddies :)

Honestly, there is no one else in my life who would give a rip about any of the topics we discuss here, or really have any knowledge about them for that matter. You all have literally been sanity-savers for me over the past year.
I LOVE hearing the difference of opinion, as long as everyone is respectful and open-minded enough to at least LISTEN to another point of view. If we were all the same it would be so boring...

Honestly, there is no one else in my life who would give a rip about any of the topics we discuss here, or really have any knowledge about them for that matter. You all have literally been sanity-savers for me over the past year.
I LOVE hearing the difference of opinion, as long as everyone is respectful and open-minded enough to at least LISTEN to another point of view. If we were all the same it would be so boring....
Heck my husband doesn't care a hoot about 99.9% of the stuff we talk about here. The B & B was my baby...he was along for the ride. But I do have to say... I could not have done it without him
kiss.gif

So this has been a real blessing over the years to share with those "who are know exactly what we are going through."

I LOVE hearing the difference of opinion, as long as everyone is respectful and open-minded enough to at least LISTEN to another point of view. If we were all the same it would be so boring....
Heck my husband doesn't care a hoot about 99.9% of the stuff we talk about here. The B & B was my baby...he was along for the ride. But I do have to say... I could not have done it without him
kiss.gif

So this has been a real blessing over the years to share with those "who are know exactly what we are going through."
Actually I am lucky in that so much I pushed for that I learned on forums have worked that if my husband is against anything he'll say, "Well ask the forum and see what they say" which helps me a lot!!!!
Riki

I agree with all of the above...most Innkeeping forums that I have belonged to....it's like pulling teeth getting anyone to post...that could have something to do with everyone being in the same state or region. Maybe that just feels too much like talking to the "competition" for some people.

It's almost as if I miss a day, I've missed A LOT. I missed more than the immediate info, I missed the moment. Wierd, but true

I’m really new on the forum but I followed it for a couple of month. I’m just an aspiring Innkeeper on a planning stage right now.
I got more information’s here than anywhere else or in any book you can find out there.
I think it’s the open mind of the members and the willingness to share information’s and knowledge.
Honestly, why should I want to fight my way through all what’s head of me on my own if there are helpful people on this forum who are willing to share there experience. They will save me time, nerves and money and hopefully I will also have the chance to contribute my experience to the forum.
All the members make this forum so unique and valuable compared to others in the net.

It's almost as if I miss a day, I've missed A LOT. I missed more than the immediate info, I missed the moment. Wierd, but true.
LOL, I caught myself on my way to and from work surfing the forum with my mobile phone. Can’t even wait till home to see what came up and what’s new.

There is an interesting blog post about the downside of Twitter (and you could substitute Facebook, this Forum, your blog, or whatever social media you want). It includes this in the last paragraph, from Howard Levitan:
[FONT= &quot]I guess that this is the other side of social media, so be prepared to perhaps get your pride wounded here and there. [/FONT]The fact is that not everyone will like what you say, and some will even un-follow you or use the “block” to make you feel even worse. The answer is to keep it all honest, and remember that your voice may not always resonate. Some may not agree and others may really disagree.[FONT= &quot]
[/FONT]

This forum is like our guests - 99% good and 1% not good, and you just have to decide that the good (sharing stories, finding common ground) is better than the not good (being told we are not 'smart and cohesive). That's why I continue to participate here..
I was not referring to you personally or this group, but innkeepers as a whole. Many do not belong to any type of organized group and therefore lose the negotiating power they could have by acting in a cohesive way.

It is Swirt's stand-up comedy combined with his awesome computer knowledge.
teeth_smile.gif

Back