What IS that stain?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might try acetone on a cloth or paper towel. I use that to get scuff marks off my fiberglass and mold/mildew off my outdoor vinyl cushions.
As for Turtlewaxing your tubs, be careful! Be sure to have good traction strips on the bottom or you're inviting a slip and fall....and....if that happens and they determine you waxed the tub, they will also determine that you caused the fall, and you know where that's going to lead.
I use a polish (Marine Finesse-It II by 3M) on mine rather than wax, applied with a variable speed polisher and a very soft foam pad - wool pads are too abrasive and create too much heat (friction). Wax comes off with detergents and has to be re-waxed more often. The polish lasts a year. And LOTS of traction strips. Finesse-It is good stuff. I was able to ressurect 28 year old Imron paint (over fiberglass) with that stuff which saved me from a $65,000 paint job! :D
On that stain, if all else fails, maybe try Whink (little brown bottle in the grocery store where the laundry detergent is) which is a rust stain remover. I use that a lot on my fiberglass surfaces and it works like magic..
Gee, thanks! I knew there was some kind of marine finish that I could use but didn't know what it was called! Yes, I was worried about the slip and fall thing and was only going to do the sides (it's a shower/bath all in one) and not the bottom but then that's where the stains are, on the bottom.
There is a product called "traction wax" that some folks use on their decks. I've never used it my showers, but it's an idea. When the surface is waxed with traction wax, it is not slick when it gets wet. It's made to use on those decks that have a curvature to them, like you'd find on a Sea Ray, Carver, Meridian, etc. Otherwise, they are like a slip 'n slide with regular wax. I don't use it as my decks don't slope down toward the bow/anchor (she's a true "blue water" vessel), so I can't say how well it works. I have friends, however, who swear by it.

You might try acetone on a cloth or paper towel. I use that to get scuff marks off my fiberglass and mold/mildew off my outdoor vinyl cushions.
As for Turtlewaxing your tubs, be careful! Be sure to have good traction strips on the bottom or you're inviting a slip and fall....and....if that happens and they determine you waxed the tub, they will also determine that you caused the fall, and you know where that's going to lead.
I use a polish (Marine Finesse-It II by 3M) on mine rather than wax, applied with a variable speed polisher and a very soft foam pad - wool pads are too abrasive and create too much heat (friction). Wax comes off with detergents and has to be re-waxed more often. The polish lasts a year. And LOTS of traction strips. Finesse-It is good stuff. I was able to ressurect 28 year old Imron paint (over fiberglass) with that stuff which saved me from a $65,000 paint job! :D
On that stain, if all else fails, maybe try Whink (little brown bottle in the grocery store where the laundry detergent is) which is a rust stain remover. I use that a lot on my fiberglass surfaces and it works like magic..
Gee, thanks! I knew there was some kind of marine finish that I could use but didn't know what it was called! Yes, I was worried about the slip and fall thing and was only going to do the sides (it's a shower/bath all in one) and not the bottom but then that's where the stains are, on the bottom.
There is a product called "traction wax" that some folks use on their decks. I've never used it my showers, but it's an idea. When the surface is waxed with traction wax, it is not slick when it gets wet. It's made to use on those decks that have a curvature to them, like you'd find on a Sea Ray, Carver, Meridian, etc. Otherwise, they are like a slip 'n slide with regular wax. I don't use it as my decks don't slope down toward the bow/anchor (she's a true "blue water" vessel), so I can't say how well it works. I have friends, however, who swear by it.
I wonder if that would work on our porch... it was just painted and after it rains it is slippery.

I wonder if that would work on our porch... it was just painted and after it rains it is slippery.
You can buy silica sand at the hardware store to mix in with paint - we use it when doing our front porch. Makes the surface rougher.

You can buy silica sand at the hardware store to mix in with paint - we use it when doing our front porch. Makes the surface rougher.
I almost had to use that in my garage! The guys who did the concrete work made the surface smooth as glass. Combine with water dripping from the car, oil dripping from the car...you get the idea. Eventually the salt dripping from the car ate thru the surface finish and everything was fine.

Back