What IS that stain?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
...on the floor of the fiberglass shower...is the color of calamine lotion. Has not come up with Scrubbing Bubbles but is looking a little lighter with Magic Eraser. If it doesn't come up completely, and hubs is throwing everything at it, we'll ask the guests what it is.

I've had hair dye stain my fibreglass bathtub. Could have been a red or auburn hair dye. I've tried everything too, to get it off. Also have what looks like a crayon mark on the bottom of the tub that won't come off.

I've had hair dye stain my fibreglass bathtub. Could have been a red or auburn hair dye. I've tried everything too, to get it off. Also have what looks like a crayon mark on the bottom of the tub that won't come off..
This looks like it was on a face cloth or other cloth given the pattern on the shower floor. Didn't see any dye containers in the trash and it didn't smell like dye in the room.
We just sprayed bleach on it and will go back when we are done cleaning the other rooms to rinse and see if that helped.
Have you tried Magic Eraser on your 'crayon' mark?
If this is a dye stain we have, I'll try peroxide next.

I've had hair dye stain my fibreglass bathtub. Could have been a red or auburn hair dye. I've tried everything too, to get it off. Also have what looks like a crayon mark on the bottom of the tub that won't come off..
This looks like it was on a face cloth or other cloth given the pattern on the shower floor. Didn't see any dye containers in the trash and it didn't smell like dye in the room.
We just sprayed bleach on it and will go back when we are done cleaning the other rooms to rinse and see if that helped.
Bleach and peroxide won't damage the fibreglass finish?? I've been meaning to turtlewax my tubs but haven't had the time to get it done yet.

Bleach and peroxide won't damage the fibreglass finish?? I've been meaning to turtlewax my tubs but haven't had the time to get it done yet.
Too late now.
teeth_smile.gif
We've already hit it with the bleach. I'll let you know what happens.

Too late now.
teeth_smile.gif
Please do. I'll let you be my guinea pig!
wink_smile.gif

I am a little reluctant to use the Magic Eraser because it supposedly contains formaldehyde.

Too late now.
teeth_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif

I am a little reluctant to use the Magic Eraser because it supposedly contains formaldehyde.
It can also dull a shiny fiberglass finish. I learned that the hard way. Took off the stain..but the shine as well.:-(

Too late now.
teeth_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif

vancouverislander said:
wink_smile.gif

Does it? It is the only thing to get suitcase black marks off the walls.

Too late now.
teeth_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif

vancouverislander said:
wink_smile.gif

MSDS for Magic Eraser.
Finish is ok even after Magic Eraser and bleach. Stain is not completely gone, tho. We have to stop at this point and pick up again tomorrow on the cleaning. The guests in that room certainly can't complain about the stain.
wink_smile.gif

We use bleach on our own bathtub all the time.

Too late now.
teeth_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif

vancouverislander said:
wink_smile.gif

MSDS for Magic Eraser.
Finish is ok even after Magic Eraser and bleach. Stain is not completely gone, tho. We have to stop at this point and pick up again tomorrow on the cleaning. The guests in that room certainly can't complain about the stain.
wink_smile.gif

We use bleach on our own bathtub all the time.
thanks for the link...good stuff there.

You might try acetone on a cloth or paper towel. I use that to get scuff marks off my fiberglass and mold/mildew off my outdoor vinyl cushions.
As for Turtlewaxing your tubs, be careful! Be sure to have good traction strips on the bottom or you're inviting a slip and fall....and....if that happens and they determine you waxed the tub, they will also determine that you caused the fall, and you know where that's going to lead.
I use a polish (Marine Finesse-It II by 3M) on mine rather than wax, applied with a variable speed polisher and a very soft foam pad - wool pads are too abrasive and create too much heat (friction). Wax comes off with detergents and has to be re-waxed more often. The polish lasts a year. And LOTS of traction strips. Finesse-It is good stuff. I was able to ressurect 28 year old Imron paint (over fiberglass) with that stuff which saved me from a $65,000 paint job! :D
On that stain, if all else fails, maybe try Whink (little brown bottle in the grocery store where the laundry detergent is) which is a rust stain remover. I use that a lot on my fiberglass surfaces and it works like magic.

Too late now.
teeth_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif

vancouverislander said:
wink_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
vancouverislander said:
wink_smile.gif

Which reminds me of another project for next week...

totally off topic - but pertaining to work... 6 rooms all made their beds today. Couple here all week, never made their bed once, nor reused their towels. All but one room resusing their towels! (I gave fresh face cloths only)

You might try acetone on a cloth or paper towel. I use that to get scuff marks off my fiberglass and mold/mildew off my outdoor vinyl cushions.
As for Turtlewaxing your tubs, be careful! Be sure to have good traction strips on the bottom or you're inviting a slip and fall....and....if that happens and they determine you waxed the tub, they will also determine that you caused the fall, and you know where that's going to lead.
I use a polish (Marine Finesse-It II by 3M) on mine rather than wax, applied with a variable speed polisher and a very soft foam pad - wool pads are too abrasive and create too much heat (friction). Wax comes off with detergents and has to be re-waxed more often. The polish lasts a year. And LOTS of traction strips. Finesse-It is good stuff. I was able to ressurect 28 year old Imron paint (over fiberglass) with that stuff which saved me from a $65,000 paint job! :D
On that stain, if all else fails, maybe try Whink (little brown bottle in the grocery store where the laundry detergent is) which is a rust stain remover. I use that a lot on my fiberglass surfaces and it works like magic..
Gee, thanks! I knew there was some kind of marine finish that I could use but didn't know what it was called! Yes, I was worried about the slip and fall thing and was only going to do the sides (it's a shower/bath all in one) and not the bottom but then that's where the stains are, on the bottom.

'That stain' was from an umbrella tossed in the shower so it wouldn't drip on the floor.

Fabric dye, good luck with that!
I'm sorry! I wonder if you could use Rit dye company's dye remover in some sort of way to try and get it out???

Fabric dye, good luck with that!
I'm sorry! I wonder if you could use Rit dye company's dye remover in some sort of way to try and get it out???.
Hubs asked the guests what it was and they insisted he come into the room to look and see if it was gone after the bleaching. Hubs says it is all gone now, just took a little longer than he thought. I will look tomorrow. They were very upset. We had just been talking at breakfast about accountability by guests...
We heard the shower running for a loooong time, they may have been trying to clean it themselves. We weren't around when they left for the day, wonder if they would have mentioned it had they seen us?

I didn't see what was so great about those Magic Erasers. It didn't last long at all and it makes a weird squeeking noise when you use them.

I didn't see what was so great about those Magic Erasers. It didn't last long at all and it makes a weird squeeking noise when you use them..
What we found with the ME (and yes, weird 'feel' and sound) is that it got the grout CLEAN with no effort whatsoever, other than wiping it across the floor. Quickly gets suitcase scuffs off the doors with minimal scuffing to the glossy paint (just go easy with it). It's FAST. That's what's great. 6 tile floors, innumerable painted doors and woodwork and the thing is FAST.

Back