What is the one thing you changed due to this forum?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Was there something you changed due to overwhelming feedback from innmates here? Or someone helping you to get your head around something? Or recommendations? Or simpler solutions?
Can you share ONE THING that you changed due to this forum? And why?
(I think a few of us have an entire list and wished we had this uber valuable resource sooner!)

The one thing I changed due to forum innmates:
Online Reservations.
I was like many in the early stages who think they can weed out the bad guests buy talking to each one and taking a booking over the phone. I soon learned (in my experience) that it is the needier guests who call and call, vs the book online, show up no hassle, wonderful guests. Also realizing it is an amenity to the guest, they want to book NOW and continue making their plans. Near and far, different times zones, it was the best advise and the best investment.

'Be yourself'. Don't try to be what the 'experts' say you should be. You don't need (but you can certainly have it when it fits your model): 1000 TC linens, bone china, real silver, spa tubs in every room, afternoon wine & cheese, totally au courant decor, gourmet breakfasts.

I morphed into a real innkeeper. I joined the forum as an early aspiring. I thought I could remodel a house and do the bed and breakfast thing 3 or 4 days a week and still keep my day job. Because of local bureaucracy, it took 2 years from closing on the real estate to opening as a B&B, and during that time, due to the efforts of all you innmates, I decided that if this were to be done, that it should be done right, so I quit my day job and here I am!

I changed online rez vendors because of this Forum - and am thrilled I did. I also morphed into doing a side meat. I do not know if it has made a difference for guests other than increasing my expense a bit (although they eat it up) but I DO enjoy dealing with the leftovers more.
BTW - even though I have online rez with real-time booking, between 10 PM last night and 8 AM this morning all 3 of my rooms were booked by phone with a 4th shortly after 9 this morning that I referred to another assoc member.

I changed online rez vendors because of this Forum - and am thrilled I did. I also morphed into doing a side meat. I do not know if it has made a difference for guests other than increasing my expense a bit (although they eat it up) but I DO enjoy dealing with the leftovers more.
BTW - even though I have online rez with real-time booking, between 10 PM last night and 8 AM this morning all 3 of my rooms were booked by phone with a 4th shortly after 9 this morning that I referred to another assoc member..
gillumhouse said:
BTW - even though I have online rez with real-time booking, between 10 PM last night and 8 AM this morning all 3 of my rooms were booked by phone with a 4th shortly after 9 this morning that I referred to another assoc member.
I know you're awake at all odd hours, but if someone called between 10 PM and 8 AM they'd get my lovely message about using our website to make reservations when the office is closed. I have to sleep.

BTW - even though I have online rez with real-time booking, between 10 PM last night and 8 AM this morning all 3 of my rooms were booked by phone with a 4th shortly after 9 this morning that I referred to another assoc member..
gillumhouse said:
I know you're awake at all odd hours, but if someone called between 10 PM and 8 AM they'd get my lovely message about using our website to make reservations when the office is closed. I have to sleep.
One came in at 10 last night the other call was about 8 this morning for the other 2 rooms booked together which was good because they share a bathroom. Zero to 3 in 2 calls!

This forum has helped me to RELAX more. There are not many B&B's in my area and sometimes this can be a lonely job. Having found innspiring forum friends with whom I can share and learn from has been a lifesaver.

I am lucky as we have a lot of B&B's here so it is easier to make friends but as country girl says its just nice to know you are not alone and that other people have the same problems and it is not just me.

Also when talking about one idea sometimes you put it together with another idea and it makes a third better idea it is all about stimulating creativity otherwise you get stuck in a mental rut.

Online Reservations.
I was like many in the early stages who think they can weed out the bad guests buy talking to each one and taking a booking over the phone. I soon learned (in my experience) that it is the needier guests who call and call, vs the book online, show up no hassle, wonderful guests. Also realizing it is an amenity to the guest, they want to book NOW and continue making their plans. Near and far, different times zones, it was the best advise and the best investment..
Sorry, could not reply to original post so tried this one.
One thing I changed was I read a thread about bed-wetters. Having just spent several thousand on new pillow top mattresses, I followed the forums advice and immediately ran out to get water-resistant mattress covers. Then I cover that up with a regular padded mattress cover and a year or more down the road now, no ruined mattresses! Thank you, forum.

I made sure the B&B was run by an Innkeeper with skin in the game. then add in a million little things I picked up from here and whew! Thanks!

Online Reservations.
I was like many in the early stages who think they can weed out the bad guests buy talking to each one and taking a booking over the phone. I soon learned (in my experience) that it is the needier guests who call and call, vs the book online, show up no hassle, wonderful guests. Also realizing it is an amenity to the guest, they want to book NOW and continue making their plans. Near and far, different times zones, it was the best advise and the best investment..
I learned the same thing. I could not have put it any better. Great advice!!!!

gillumhouse said:
One came in at 10 last night the other call was about 8 this morning for the other 2 rooms booked together which was good because they share a bathroom. Zero to 3 in 2 calls!
cheers.gif

ONE thing - just one??!!! I could name a hundred!
But I think the first was clearly online reservations. I kept hearing it over and over, finally it found the pin hole to my brain. You could not pay me enough to stop using it. Best idea since sliced bread.

One thing I changed was not taking some things personally on the few occasions that I had difficult or stressful guests - I learned everyone has PITAs!
pita.gif

My lock box for late check in's I think it was Catlady who pushed me to get one cost about $30 and is worth its weight in gold.

Back