What is the silliest thing a guest has ever done at your inn?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
What is the silliest thing a guest has ever done at your inn?
Think about it, it will come to you.
It is one of those you either
a) now have a sign because of it, or
b) you laugh about it and call anyone who seems silly by that guest's name.
Example: Used a thin plastic water cup from the dispenser to use to pour in hot boiling scalding water from the kettle. or another example, like Highlands John says where guests tell him the tv's are broken because they do not turn them on at the wall.

I had a guest (professor I think) who understood the keypad, even turned the deadbolt, but waited for the door to fly open on its own!

It's not silly, but disgusting. We had some, by all appearances very nice, guests that so badly stained a set of sheets we thought we were going to have to throw them out. We had to have them professionally cleaned, but henceforth that set of sheets is now known as the<insert their name here> sheets.

the one who locked herself in her room and became hysterical when she couldn't get out. my son had to talk her out. all the other guests were huddled in the hallway saying 'what's going on??' my son kept saying 'close the door first, THEN you can slide the little button over' and she kept yanking on the door and shouting ' HELP HELP!! I CAN'T GET OUT!'
my son printed up instructions and mounted them next to her chain lock on the door
door_chain_guard.jpg

the one who locked herself in her room and became hysterical when she couldn't get out. my son had to talk her out. all the other guests were huddled in the hallway saying 'what's going on??' my son kept saying 'close the door first, THEN you can slide the little button over' and she kept yanking on the door and shouting ' HELP HELP!! I CAN'T GET OUT!'
my son printed up instructions and mounted them next to her chain lock on the door
door_chain_guard.jpg
OMG Seashanty, that made me laugh. It's ludicrous, but I'm sure the person was a bit panicked, I know I would have been!

Guest: What time is checkout?
Me: 11:00
Guest: Is it ok if I leave earlier? I have to be somewhere before then.

Guest: Is it ok if I leave earlier? I have to be somewhere before then..
Got a few silly guest here.. winner might be guest who was locked in the Cottage. Crawls out the kitchen window (over granite sink & high rise faucet) to the deck, comes to the front door (entrance is at driveway side door) rings the bell, my dog goes crazy (upstairs Innsuite guest awake), he's all smiles :) as he has saved the day!. Then I ask" why didnt you use the land line phone in the Cottage & my tele # is there also ?"
confused_smile.gif
Mary in Bwater.

I had an older guest here a few weeks ago. She came into her room as I was making the bed, said, "huh", turned around and walked out and went right into my bedroom. Then she stood there very confused until I went and got her. Luckily my bed was made but there were baskets of clean laundry everywhere waiting to be folded.

During my check-in process I always take them to their double whirlpool tubs and point to the 3 different bubble baths we have for them them and tell them that when using the jets, to only use our products since they are all natural and won't goop up the pipes.
Last month I received a scathing e-mail from a guest who wanted to forewarn me of the review she was going to send in which she stated that after the first night of a 3 night stay, she had a reaction to our bar soap (Fuller soap, glycerine, never a problem) and so she didn't take a bath or shower for the rest of her stay because I had told her she could only use our bath products! In her review she stated that because I told her that, she didn't even go to the store to buy a bar of soap! UH?!?!?!?!?!?
Her other complaints were just as "silly" and during her 3 day stay she never once came to me with a question or complaint. I responded back to her e-mail and gave her logical explainations for all her "silly" complaints. Hopefully she felt pretty stupid, because it's been about a month and no scathing review yet has hit the online sites.
One of her other complaints was that she ran out of our cookies in their cookie tin of which I had placed massive amounts of cookies in before their arrival....way more than most people would consume in 3 days. Now I guess I'm their personal bakery/snack maker.

When someone tells us they are vegan or vegeterian, we have learned to ask their definition of their statement. This weekend we had a vegan gal ( her description - no foods with eyes or mothers ) smoke a big fat cigar in the hot tub......I suppose cigars are vegan.....and it was a birthday party.....

What does a cigar have to do with eating animals? Am I missing the connection here?
PS on a similar rant (I think) what the heck is with this cigar fad right now? People everywhere, young old female male, I can't handle it!

What does a cigar have to do with eating animals? Am I missing the connection here?
PS on a similar rant (I think) what the heck is with this cigar fad right now? People everywhere, young old female male, I can't handle it!.
I think it's because many vegans choose that lifestyle for the health benefits, but how healthy is it to be smoking a cigar?

I know. I am just kidding. Not eating meat doesn't necessarily make you a health fanatic. It just makes you an animal lover.

I've never known a vegetarian or a vegan to be healthier. Most that I know of spend winters being sick.

I've never known a vegetarian or a vegan to be healthier. Most that I know of spend winters being sick..
We have noticed this as well. We thought it curious that the cigar smoking vegan seemed the healthiest/robustfull of the threesome......

Got a few silly guest here.. winner might be guest who was locked in the Cottage. Crawls out the kitchen window (over granite sink & high rise faucet) to the deck, comes to the front door (entrance is at driveway side door) rings the bell, my dog goes crazy (upstairs Innsuite guest awake), he's all smiles :) as he has saved the day!. Then I ask" why didnt you use the land line phone in the Cottage & my tele # is there also ?"
confused_smile.gif
Mary in Bwater.
hmmmmmmm...how do you get locked INSIDE? Curious minds want to know....

confused_smile.gif
Mary in Bwater.
hmmmmmmm...how do you get locked INSIDE? Curious minds want to know....
Cottage has 2 locks(2 keys).The deadbolt lock was stuck/broken and would not unlock. Got it unlocked from the outside.2 locks for safety sake.I am the only one w/that key but guest can lock it on the inside.Did this just incase some one wanted to copy the door handle key but I can lock the deadbolt when its not in use, etc.Mary in Bwater.

We had a lady locked in a room once, she was her eon her own and we heard banging noises...so we didn't immediate go up stairs to find out why.
Still not sure how she got herself locked in, you can turn a lock and open the door. Harder for us to try to get her out from the outside. AAA locks up the wazoo here from the Prev owners, I will not have a deadbolt that you cannot uNLOCK if you are the owners on the outside of the door, but that was what they required...what if someone was hurt? a chain across sure, we can tear that off with a good kick.
It was strange. It always is.

We had a lady locked in a room once, she was her eon her own and we heard banging noises...so we didn't immediate go up stairs to find out why.
Still not sure how she got herself locked in, you can turn a lock and open the door. Harder for us to try to get her out from the outside. AAA locks up the wazoo here from the Prev owners, I will not have a deadbolt that you cannot uNLOCK if you are the owners on the outside of the door, but that was what they required...what if someone was hurt? a chain across sure, we can tear that off with a good kick.
It was strange. It always is..
Joey Bloggs said:
AAA locks up the wazoo here from the Prev owners, I will not have a deadbolt that you cannot uNLOCK if you are the owners on the outside of the door, but that was what they required...
Can some of you others clarify this? I thought AAA required deadbolts that ONLY the owner can open from the outside.
There has to be a way that guests can lock their room door and KNOW that no previous guest can come back and open the door with a key they copied. The deadbolt takes care of that, but the owner must always be able to get into the room in an emergency. At least, that's how I was told that the AAA requirements work.

Back