What is with people like this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
Had a chap in last night in a double room for 1 person at a cheep price as we are quiet at the moment. Pain in the
potty-mouth.gif
from when he arrived! Said on his paperwork arriving at 6pm well its 7.45 and still not here so rang to check he wasn't lost etc. No I am just outside of town (that's fine about 10 mins away) but DH and me wanted to pop out for Fish and Chips so a little bit GRRR. Well from when he got in the two chairs in his room were too big he felt he couldn't move around freeley (Ie do jogging?) could he put on on the landing. I said yes that was fine as long as it wasn't blocking the way round for other people. Then he proceded to lecture me on my fire doors. ( the ones he was complaining were latched back we do not actually need as they were for when we had the kitchen on the ground floor it is now in the basement so has two layers of fire doors around it.) and then he was complaining that the exit in the basement had a metal shoe last in front of it (we use this to hold the door open on sunny days) and people could trip in an emergency and go through the glass (I pointed out it was safety glass and this could not happen) and on and on and on! and all the while he was saying "I am not a fire inspector but" and I was so close to saying so shut up and go away. All of this was in the middle of breakfast when I am busy enough. DH had to walk away so as not to say something rude like HOW IS THIS ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS?. I doubly irks me as we have this year just had all the bedroom doors made into fire doors which is far more than is required. My point is mainly how do we all deal with people who think they know our business better than we do? (also no good ever comes from people who say I know this is none of my business but....)

What I found out the first week here when everyone thought they knew our business better than we did was to say, 'Thank you for bringing that to our attention, we'll give it some thought.'
If you simply acknowledge and don't try to argue, they generally shut right up.

I would pay you ten quid to break up the paragraph into smaller bits, I can't follow it. Sorry, just wanted to mention, totally off topic.

Know-it-alls are my biggest pet peeve, aside from people who don't use the bathroom fan EVER.

These types are a pain in my
potty-mouth.gif
. The best way is to say "thanks and I should go put this down in my note book now while the idea is stil fresh. "
This makes them feel like they did their good deed for the day, and gives you a way to remove yourself from anymore of their BS.

Sorry it is such a big chunk I was sOOOOO cross basically I think he was fishing for a reduction for which he can get stuffed. But I agree with Mort I have been doing this for 20 years now in my own place and various large hotels and small hotels and have seen Health and Safety violations, food violations and so on that would make your hair curl it is one of the reasons we have an open plan kitchen so you can see everything so people like that drive me mad as I go out of my way to be safe and clean!

As well it is people who have never worked in hotels or B&B's etc who say things like you should do this as it would save you XXXX when it wouldn't or would cause some other problem ie someone said oh you shouldn't change the towels every day you should put up signs saying put in the bath if you want changing etc. This would actually make very little difference to us as most people are one night stays anyway. But its that mentality of I know best that gets on my wick!

As well it is people who have never worked in hotels or B&B's etc who say things like you should do this as it would save you XXXX when it wouldn't or would cause some other problem ie someone said oh you shouldn't change the towels every day you should put up signs saying put in the bath if you want changing etc. This would actually make very little difference to us as most people are one night stays anyway. But its that mentality of I know best that gets on my wick!.
How's this...think about them as people who are really trying to help instead of drive you nuts. And then if they hit you with, 'I think I should get a reduction because of all the problems I pointed out,' you can act stunned and say, 'I thought you were trying to help!'

As well it is people who have never worked in hotels or B&B's etc who say things like you should do this as it would save you XXXX when it wouldn't or would cause some other problem ie someone said oh you shouldn't change the towels every day you should put up signs saying put in the bath if you want changing etc. This would actually make very little difference to us as most people are one night stays anyway. But its that mentality of I know best that gets on my wick!.
How's this...think about them as people who are really trying to help instead of drive you nuts. And then if they hit you with, 'I think I should get a reduction because of all the problems I pointed out,' you can act stunned and say, 'I thought you were trying to help!'
He didn't ask but I think that is what he was angling for but yes it is a good way to handle it. If it hadn't been in the middle of breakfast I would have said let me get my notebook and taken notes and been like "Oh yes that is soo important let me take a note etc so that they have no way out and can't prove you were being sarcastic but with 4 breakfasts on the go it was not the time for humouring iddiots

Breathe, just breathe.....
regular_smile.gif
I was trying I felt like I was in a lamars class LOL can see the funny side of it today but someone suggesting I would endanger my guests gets my fir stood up! as I am sure it would any of us. I think it is partly because I am younger they think they can intimidate me or won't believe I am the owner (When one person asked to see the owner and I said Yes that's me they said Are you sure?" GRRR but I have 20 years experience and the hide of a concrete elepant it will take more than that! But today is another day and all my guests today are lovely and make up for it.

Breathe, just breathe.....
regular_smile.gif
I was trying I felt like I was in a lamars class LOL can see the funny side of it today but someone suggesting I would endanger my guests gets my fir stood up! as I am sure it would any of us. I think it is partly because I am younger they think they can intimidate me or won't believe I am the owner (When one person asked to see the owner and I said Yes that's me they said Are you sure?" GRRR but I have 20 years experience and the hide of a concrete elepant it will take more than that! But today is another day and all my guests today are lovely and make up for it.
"The hide of a concrete elephant." I like that one.

sounds like my egg guest.
as he sat at the table with his wife, he said 'it's really too bad you are cooking eggs to order today because i am an EGG EXPERT.' he then proceeded to critique every egg i cooked for each guest. he wanted fried eggs ... over medium ... not over easy, not over hard, not over over (or something) he did 'congratulate' me on my superb scrambles both hard and soft but tut tutted that his over medium eggs were NOT over medium ... and i smiled and thanked him for his advice but i really wanted to be a shrikkin innkeeper by the time breakfast was being cleaned up. he kept up his dialog of the perfect egg for so long, one guest got into it with him 'are you a breakfast chef? 'are you a cook?' 'what makes you an expert?' ohmy. i had to retreat into the dishwashing phase (loudly) ....

sounds like my egg guest.
as he sat at the table with his wife, he said 'it's really too bad you are cooking eggs to order today because i am an EGG EXPERT.' he then proceeded to critique every egg i cooked for each guest. he wanted fried eggs ... over medium ... not over easy, not over hard, not over over (or something) he did 'congratulate' me on my superb scrambles both hard and soft but tut tutted that his over medium eggs were NOT over medium ... and i smiled and thanked him for his advice but i really wanted to be a shrikkin innkeeper by the time breakfast was being cleaned up. he kept up his dialog of the perfect egg for so long, one guest got into it with him 'are you a breakfast chef? 'are you a cook?' 'what makes you an expert?' ohmy. i had to retreat into the dishwashing phase (loudly) .....
"When you open your breakfast restaurant, let us know. We'll all be happy to come by and let you know how you're doing!"
Yeesh, some people.

You know what's odd....I've had an inordinate number of odd or annoying guests these last two weeks. I find myself grumbling under my breath when I'm cleaning, and having a good deal less patience, even with the nice people. This happened to me last summer too, for the first time, so I know it's not the exterior stressers that I havea this year, which is what I have been blaming it on.
It's this forum, I swear. When I was away for an extended period of time, I was a happier innkeeper. When I spend alot of time on here, I'm tired and crabby. I know we all gotta have a place to vent, but I think we set the trap for ourselves. Positivity and negativity can both be addictive.

Speaking only for myself of course.

You know what's odd....I've had an inordinate number of odd or annoying guests these last two weeks. I find myself grumbling under my breath when I'm cleaning, and having a good deal less patience, even with the nice people. This happened to me last summer too, for the first time, so I know it's not the exterior stressers that I havea this year, which is what I have been blaming it on.
It's this forum, I swear. When I was away for an extended period of time, I was a happier innkeeper. When I spend alot of time on here, I'm tired and crabby. I know we all gotta have a place to vent, but I think we set the trap for ourselves. Positivity and negativity can both be addictive.

You are right. It's because we take on the stress of other people. I FEEL for the folks who are having a tough go of it with PITA's and it rubs off on me.

I'm afraid I'd be tempted to suggets that if they thought the facilities were not to their requried standard they should go and look for somewhere else to stay, especially as at the moment as I know they'd struggle to find anything round here.
I blame programs like "The Hotel Inspector" too many people think they are Ruth Watson or Alex Polizzi these days.
There's always someone who thinks they know better than you!!

It is partly why I shy away from putting guest review type questionares in the rooms because my old boss always said it makes people think they are hotel inspectors and always binned them all!!! for example people might not like the colour you have decorated in well that is their problem not yours there is nothing wrong with the room it is just not your taste etc.

Little Blue said:

Sounds like good advice........
One thing that works well.............write a post response to what ever the thread topic is........before hitting the "save" "post" button......think if getting involved is worth it......or absolutely necessary.......if not, or any doubts......delete it and move on.............doing this allows you to respond, yet not get involved.
LOL.......can't even tell you how many posts I've written only to delete.
From where I stand........the aspiring...... This forum is far to valuable for me........to burn my britches.
An outsider perspective............coming from other industry forums and more than 20 years on message boards.....from being just a member to monitoring, to being a paid subcontractor and so many other variables through the years.
This forum........the members......You all are some of the most level headed and sweetest folks I have encountered as a collective........no huge egos......no agressive competitiveness, which is common in my industry forums..........definitely a good vibe going on here
I hope you all pat yourselvs on the back, congratulate yourselves for a job well done.......and creating a valuable tool for the B&B industry....collectively you have helped each other with numerous scenarios, some pleasent, some not so.....
You all have freely and openly provided insight to this industry that would not be otherwise achieved. Other than doing it yourself.....You've provided a window for the aspiring to look into. To see and feel first hand what their dream may be like. What is realy cool........it maybe one of these aspirings that are members or lurkers that just might one day take over your establishment and continue the tradition.

Little Blue said:

Sounds like good advice........
One thing that works well.............write a post response to what ever the thread topic is........before hitting the "save" "post" button......think if getting involved is worth it......or absolutely necessary.......if not, or any doubts......delete it and move on.............doing this allows you to respond, yet not get involved.
From where I stand........the aspiring...... This forum is far to valuable for me........to burn my britches.
An outsider perspective............coming from other industry forums and more than 20 years on message boards.....from being just a member to monitoring, to being a paid subcontractor and so many other variables through the years.
This forum........the members......You all are some of the most level headed and sweetest folks I have encountered as a collective........no huge egos......no agressive competitiveness, which is common in my industry forums..........definitely a good vibe going on here
I hope you all pat yourselvs on the back, congratulate yourselves for a job well done.......and creating a valuable tool for the B&B industry....collectively you have helped each other with numerous scenarios, some pleasent, some not so.....
You all have freely and openly provided insight to this industry that would not be otherwise achieved. Other than doing it yourself.....You've provided a window for the aspiring to look into. To see and feel first hand what their dream may be like. What is realy cool........it maybe one of these aspirings that are members or lurkers that just might one day take over your establishment and continue the tradition.
One Day said:
Ha, ha...you and me both!

Back