What is worse?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Late check ins or late for breakfast?
They specify a breakfast time requirement and then are not there for 30 minutes or more... (I guess you can see where I am today...in front of this monitor with breakfast on hold waiting for them. But hey am happy to get up at the crack of dawn per your request!) I am sure when they show they will wander down...oh sorry we're late. Last night I ate a food I am allergic too and was up all night...got the antihistamine into me tho, but am MESSED UP TODAY! No song and dance, let me tell ya!
Oh the pitter patter of feet, here they come...bye

Late check-ins are definitely worse. I can bang around the kitchen making noise and doing stuff that needs to be done for the new day if they don't come down for breakfast. Late check-ins in theory are late enough that you've finished what needs to be done for the day and you have others in the house that would be disturbed by my banging around. And since I'm still not a fancy cook, most of my breakfast doesn't get less edible if they're late. Now I have fewer things to do in the evening that I have to give up waiting for those who are just late enough to screw up evening plans than you do, but that's an aggro as well.

So what you are saying is get out a pot and a wooden spoon and make a little music...ahhh! Good idea!
cheers.gif

While late check-ins are extremely frustrating, you can always just give up and leave a note. Late for a breakfast time that YOU specifically chose is BEYOND RUDE. 30 minutes late??? I wouldn't want to feed them...but of course I would because what choice do we have?
pita.gif

Late for breakfast. Even tho you can come whenever you want, if you're not here by 9:30 but there are still guests eating I always feel like we should HAVE to feed the late arrivers. We don't, but it seems awkward to say no to one when someone else is eating.
Late arrivers just let themselves in.

I hear you. Same thing is happening here this morning .....40 minutes late so far.

For me, it is late to breakfast - especially if the entree du jour is my egg bake. 30 minutes late it has fallen and is like leather, the bread is cold..... I am usually up late anyway so that does not bother me - but remember, I am not normal.

I fed them and was smiles and missus wonderful. None the wiser that they ticked me off.
Now when we had those visiting innkeepers here from NY, a midweek full house and when one room strolled down at the end of breakfast, the innkeeper said, and I quote, and this is why I love those innkeepers "What was the matter is your alarm clock broken?" Of course they were guests at the table, so got away with saying that.
But, on a side note they had a man who wanted to book a room for half a day and the wife was in a quandary. To me it was cut and dry, but they did not have the benefit of this forum and the wise ones. We have shared the "No Hourly rental" thing on the forum. Hard to imagine, but it was a sob story, he is only in town for a few hours yada yada yada...and so? Why does he not book one night like the rest of the world? CHEAPSKATE. and TMI.

I fed them and was smiles and missus wonderful. None the wiser that they ticked me off.
Now when we had those visiting innkeepers here from NY, a midweek full house and when one room strolled down at the end of breakfast, the innkeeper said, and I quote, and this is why I love those innkeepers "What was the matter is your alarm clock broken?" Of course they were guests at the table, so got away with saying that.
But, on a side note they had a man who wanted to book a room for half a day and the wife was in a quandary. To me it was cut and dry, but they did not have the benefit of this forum and the wise ones. We have shared the "No Hourly rental" thing on the forum. Hard to imagine, but it was a sob story, he is only in town for a few hours yada yada yada...and so? Why does he not book one night like the rest of the world? CHEAPSKATE. and TMI..
He can have the room for half a day but pays the full price cos it don't take any less to clean does it? Plus if you were super luck you could sell it twice.

I had one last week, had prepared breakfast for 8 at a convenient time that suited everyone ..... much more comfortable to seat 6 at the big table than 8 .. reminded the guests "see you at x time for breakfast" - called them when they had not showed after 20 minutes ... "oh we don't usually eat breakfast ..... no we don't need anything ...."

If we did the breakfast service (not delivery to door), I would be fit to be tied nearly every morning! I would say that late to breakfast would be worse for me than late check-ins, and I HATE waiting for late check-ins. I bow down to all of you who have this frustration!

What a well timed question ... How 'bout both .....
Had a guest (specialty) due to arrive at 11:30 last night - we're an hour's drive from the airport. His flight was an hour and a half late. He finally got here and asked for an early breakfast.
This morning he finally made it to the dining room an hour and half later than requested.
I, of course, was the one that got to bed at 2:30 and got up again at 5:45.
BUT .... this guest is so incredibly appreciative, polite and generally nice that I have no problem with it.
Luckily all my other rooms are equally easy going so there's been nothing to get my dander up today although I'm sure I'll crash early tonight.

I have 3 rooms coming in tonight. Our school board is dorking us around about replacing a middle school built om the 1920s - maybe. It is so disgusting that it was the "greatest need" on every agenda EXCEPT the city where all the "money" lives. They swayed the swing vote - so I have to go AGAIN tonight to show support for our side. They have all been told where the doorbell in and to be patient because DH is on 2 crutches therefore SLOW! All were understanding thank goodness. off to the school board - the
potty-mouth.gif

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT and in fact it makes me really mad.
"This morning he finally made it to the dining room an hour and half later than requested. I, of course, was the one that got to bed at 2:30 and got up again at 5:45."
I am going to step out here and say "Why are innkeepers making breakfast for guests in the wee hours of the morning?" Are we personal cooks? Do we not have a set breakfast time - flexible within reason of course? People who want a super early breakfast are just plain rude, for him to even have breakfast after arriving that late really makes me mad and then to be late for the breakfast? Are you serious? You have no problem with that?
I am shaking my head. I am upset that you did that and I don't care who he is, I care about YOU. I want to slap him upside the head right now!!

"This morning he finally made it to the dining room an hour and half later than requested. I, of course, was the one that got to bed at 2:30 and got up again at 5:45."
I am going to step out here and say "Why are innkeepers making breakfast for guests in the wee hours of the morning?" Are we personal cooks? Do we not have a set breakfast time - flexible within reason of course? People who want a super early breakfast are just plain rude, for him to even have breakfast after arriving that late really makes me mad and then to be late for the breakfast? Are you serious? You have no problem with that?
I am shaking my head. I am upset that you did that and I don't care who he is, I care about YOU. I want to slap him upside the head right now!!.
We get up at 5:30 to serve breakfast at 8, so the guest may not have wanted anything really early. However, if it was an especially early time after getting in so late and then not showing, that is annoying. And this is why I don't wait up any longer. A- at 9 PM it is freezing in my house; B- I need my sleep; C- after having guests mention in conversation that they were late because they went out for dinner first, I don't wait up any longer.
Our 'early' breakfast is 7:30. Unless it's a group and they're all going to eat at 7, then we'll do that. But not gonna stretch for 2-3 hours. Because the first and last breakfast are usually an hour an a half apart or more when we stretch. With nothing in between. We're dead in the water. Can't vacuum, can't do laundry, can't go back to bed.

I am shaking my head. I am upset that you did that and I don't care who he is, I care about YOU. I want to slap him upside the head right now!!.
We get up at 5:30 to serve breakfast at 8, so the guest may not have wanted anything really early. However, if it was an especially early time after getting in so late and then not showing, that is annoying. And this is why I don't wait up any longer. A- at 9 PM it is freezing in my house; B- I need my sleep; C- after having guests mention in conversation that they were late because they went out for dinner first, I don't wait up any longer.
Our 'early' breakfast is 7:30. Unless it's a group and they're all going to eat at 7, then we'll do that. But not gonna stretch for 2-3 hours. Because the first and last breakfast are usually an hour an a half apart or more when we stretch. With nothing in between. We're dead in the water. Can't vacuum, can't do laundry, can't go back to bed.
We?
530am for 8am breakfast? 2 1/2 hours? Grinding the wheat and milking the cows? WHAT THE!

JB - Don't be mad - please. I know this is coming from an incredibly heart-warming place .... but.
This is February in Maine. It's a really, really scary time of year - but I've had guests pretty much every single day - most for stays of three nights or more. My occupancy has been 50% or more for most of those nights and I have a full house tomorrow ..... the relief is overwhelming.
It was my choice. I could have left a note up ... and I offered the early breakfast - I could have said "no".
My post was not intended to be a "vent" (trust me - when I have one of those - you'll know) but your question timing was impeccable.
The person that referred the guest to me is someone I care about very much. My husband is away trying to get his business up and running (don't hold your breath) so I was by myself and could be very selfish about my decisions. I spent the time, after several large ice coffees, getting through an enormous pile of ironing while watching Super Nanny !!!!
I thank you for your ire.

We?
530am for 8am breakfast? 2 1/2 hours? Grinding the wheat and milking the cows? WHAT THE!
Joey Bloggs said:
We?
OK, ONE of us gets up that early while the other gets their beauty sleep. Shower, walk the dog, feed the dog, get the paper, read the paper, get the breakfast started, cut the fruit, slice bread, get all the gear out, clean up the dishes guests have left from the night before, turn up the heat, get the lights, turn on the computer, set the table, get the coffee on, talk to the early risers, sweep the dining room. (Not in that order.)
I will grant that when the innkeeper who generally sleeps in does the breakfast, the rising time is an hour later. I don't read the paper.

JB - Don't be mad - please. I know this is coming from an incredibly heart-warming place .... but.
This is February in Maine. It's a really, really scary time of year - but I've had guests pretty much every single day - most for stays of three nights or more. My occupancy has been 50% or more for most of those nights and I have a full house tomorrow ..... the relief is overwhelming.
It was my choice. I could have left a note up ... and I offered the early breakfast - I could have said "no".
My post was not intended to be a "vent" (trust me - when I have one of those - you'll know) but your question timing was impeccable.
The person that referred the guest to me is someone I care about very much. My husband is away trying to get his business up and running (don't hold your breath) so I was by myself and could be very selfish about my decisions. I spent the time, after several large ice coffees, getting through an enormous pile of ironing while watching Super Nanny !!!!
I thank you for your ire.
Tipsy- That is a fantastic occ for Feb in a non-skiing area. Good for you!

ONCE only once, I did a 5am breakfast for a hunter. It was a first and last time. Now anyone who wants a VERY early breakfast gets shown the little refrigerator in the dining area, or has their own in the cottage and is given a packed breakfast. For my REGULAR business guests I do like an early 7am ... but I am trying to be a little more tough about breakfast. Then again it's only me so if I am doing individual breakfasts (as opposed to a buffet when I have a full house and / or common time) I can't cook them all at once anyway ... but I am trying ..... to be more tough that is ... nicely

Back