What is wrong with people???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Have you ever had a guest color their hair while they were staying with you and damage your towels in the process?
If so, what did you do?

I have not, but this problem has surfaced here before numerous times. Are they still there or have they checked out? If still there, I would tell them they ruined your towels and they would have to pay for them. This is way beyond what "normal use" is in a B & B. She could have asked you for a worn out towel before doing it :-( Or, if they have gone, I would send them an email telling them the problem and ask if they would reimburse you for the towel damage. THen you can charge their card. You can't do it without telling them.

Sounds like something out of a Hollywood movie, where the fugitive changes hair color in the roadside motel before moving on to whatever happens next.
In real life, though, it's never happened to me.
I'd give them a call and explain that the towels were ruined by the dye and ask how she wants to handle the charge.

Sounds like something out of a Hollywood movie, where the fugitive changes hair color in the roadside motel before moving on to whatever happens next.
In real life, though, it's never happened to me.
I'd give them a call and explain that the towels were ruined by the dye and ask how she wants to handle the charge..
Innkeeper To Go said:
. . . I'd give them a call and explain that the towels were ruined by the dye and ask how she wants to handle the charge.
I like that approach/language. There should be no asking about reimbursement.
My daughter pulled this once, but had the sense to use the dog's towels. Unfortunately, the dye ended up on the wall and cannot be scrubbed off and it stained the caulk around the sink, and that will have to torn out and replaced, too.
angry_smile.gif

I hate signs everywhere, but maybe this would help:
Bottle of dye . . . $3.50
Replacing ruined towels . . . $100
Replacing ruined bedding . . . $500
Repainting the room . . . $2000
Replacing ruined carpeting . . . $5000
Owning the inn . . . priceless

What is wrong with people?
Why ruin their towels, stain their sinks, or change dripping on their floors when they can do all this at YOUR inn!

It is another reason for the phrase "S_IT Happens, then you die" In this case you are not thinking of yourself! Grrrr. Happened to me once, and it took me forever to get those blue stains off my tub. She had left the bottle of dye on its side and let it drip on the tub ledge and down.

It is another reason for the phrase "S_IT Happens, then you die" In this case you are not thinking of yourself! Grrrr. Happened to me once, and it took me forever to get those blue stains off my tub. She had left the bottle of dye on its side and let it drip on the tub ledge and down..
copperhead said:
She had left the bottle of dye on its side and let it drip on the tub ledge and down.
That must have been one ugly mess.

It is another reason for the phrase "S_IT Happens, then you die" In this case you are not thinking of yourself! Grrrr. Happened to me once, and it took me forever to get those blue stains off my tub. She had left the bottle of dye on its side and let it drip on the tub ledge and down..
Some how we have to let guests know we don't have super powers when it comes to cleaning! If it would leave a mess at your house, it will leave a mess at mine! This from a person who can tell which white towel is hers because of the big, faintly red blotch dead center where I suddenly realized I had NOT rinsed the hair color out as well as I thought I had before I tried to dry my hair. Arrrgh!
(And, yes, when dyeing hair I DO use a navy blue towel for drips and splatters and for the initial rinse & dry.)
Oh, and I have a matching pillow case...which I think I just tossed. Why even bother. So no more dyeing hair before bed.

Back