What is you CVB doing for you.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
Is there anything special your CVB does for you? One of the CVBs in Indiana called and ask if they could pay for the three bed and breakfasts in their county to be members. WOW! I am not sure what they are thinking but that is cool. Maybe it was to make sure they were inspected or they were on the same page together.
I have a friend that is on the CVB and she would like to have ideas to take to the board.
Thank you!

cvb?
is that like a visitors center or chamber of commerce?

we don't have a cvb (convention & visitors bureau) here - the closest one is Richmond or Virginia Beach - 50+ miles away. That's a very generous offer - what a deal!!!

The closest one to me is in Portland. Rates are $600+/year and I got ONE referral from them in 3 years. No longer a member.

We fund the CVB with innkeeper tax or bed tax or what ever you call it. We have to charge 4% tax for the CVB to operate it is suppose to go for advertising or something that promotes not only b and bs but hotels. There no dues.

I was a member of the CVB in my county until 2 cities destroyed it by starting their own CVBs. I am not part of either of them because they will not help me. I am however a member of the county CVB north of me - and was before the brouhaha - got the dispensation to join because I had a trail package with a B & B in their county (now retired). I pay $50 per year to belong.
  • on their web site and I do get hits from it
  • in their annual guide
  • eligble to participate in their adverttising
  • she works with me when I am broke because I help her when I can
  • have been tapped to cover a trade show for her and went to Cleveland - I never would have been to that show otherwise
  • keeps me up-to-date on issues that may affect me
  • CVB & MABB are memberships I will FIND the money for

For my area we have several -
the state CVB - no annual fee, just $ for inclusion state tourism guide, free display of rack cards at state welcome centers (close by centers do send customers even though there are 5+ hotels in the area) and free listing with link on their website. (all paid via tourism taxes) The cost is min. and I find it and the centers to be helpful in sending me business.
the regional CVB (Greater Big City) This one costs $$$ and although I know they do a lot of advertising with that money, most is done for the Big city. A lot of the $ is used to send the employees on 'promotional trips' and lobbying at the state level, primarily for the big city, not the subburbs so it is more like being a member of the big city chamber instead of the CVB. (not a member too costly for the value in my area)
my county CVB - no fee. They publish a nice tourism guide with no cost to be included. They also produce a quarterly newspaper with articles, listings of all area attractions, hotels, restaurants and all the events being held during the quarter. This is a nice addition and is used by travelers as well as locals. They have 2 area tourist centers with rack card displays and 'hosts' in each as well as hosts in the 2 State welcome centers that boarder our county. They also have a website with free listings and a request form for future visitors to request the paper publications. At last count they had 15-20 employees and a substantual yearly budget - funded by tourism taxes collected, small % from property taxes, and some from the state level. NOW all this has gotten me only a hand full of guests over the last 7+ years they have doing all this! I do see it changing but there is still too much politics surrounding this CVB at this time. (I could write a book on this but will spare you!)
Then there are the associations - but see there is another thread on that one!

For my area we have several -
the state CVB - no annual fee, just $ for inclusion state tourism guide, free display of rack cards at state welcome centers (close by centers do send customers even though there are 5+ hotels in the area) and free listing with link on their website. (all paid via tourism taxes) The cost is min. and I find it and the centers to be helpful in sending me business.
the regional CVB (Greater Big City) This one costs $$$ and although I know they do a lot of advertising with that money, most is done for the Big city. A lot of the $ is used to send the employees on 'promotional trips' and lobbying at the state level, primarily for the big city, not the subburbs so it is more like being a member of the big city chamber instead of the CVB. (not a member too costly for the value in my area)
my county CVB - no fee. They publish a nice tourism guide with no cost to be included. They also produce a quarterly newspaper with articles, listings of all area attractions, hotels, restaurants and all the events being held during the quarter. This is a nice addition and is used by travelers as well as locals. They have 2 area tourist centers with rack card displays and 'hosts' in each as well as hosts in the 2 State welcome centers that boarder our county. They also have a website with free listings and a request form for future visitors to request the paper publications. At last count they had 15-20 employees and a substantual yearly budget - funded by tourism taxes collected, small % from property taxes, and some from the state level. NOW all this has gotten me only a hand full of guests over the last 7+ years they have doing all this! I do see it changing but there is still too much politics surrounding this CVB at this time. (I could write a book on this but will spare you!)
Then there are the associations - but see there is another thread on that one!.
I failed to add that the CVB is supported by a "bed tax" of 3 to 6% depending on the ordinances of a city/county with half of that going to support the CVB and half going to the collecting agency for something tourism related (usually parks & rec or sidewalks...). My City was in the process of enacting the ordinance (at my request) when the county CVB imploded so I stopped the action - who would get the other half? When the State encated the law allowing the bed tax my City had no lodging facilities so did not bother with an ordinance to collect it and after I came to town did not think it worth their effort although they do see it now.
Our CVB Assoc is working to get more professionalism - they are pushing for CVBs to get certification which means they meet guidelines and have training - not just Joe's daughter or son needing a job. The Director of my CVB is Certified - she took training for 3 years to get it - and is the Prez of the Sate Assoc and just was elected to the Board of Southeast Tourism Society.
Our State Tourism Division lists us on their web site, puts our brochures/rack cards in all Welcome Centers, pays for surveys and gives us the results, and helps us in any possible when we ask - all for free. If you have a partner (or are an assoc) you can qualify for advertising grants with 75% reimbursement, you just have to display the State logo on every piece in a prescribed size/location or if radio in the tagline. I am very happy to be able to say - West Virginia gets it!

We fund the CVB with innkeeper tax or bed tax or what ever you call it. We have to charge 4% tax for the CVB to operate it is suppose to go for advertising or something that promotes not only b and bs but hotels. There no dues..
I'm not sure exactly how our C&VB is funded. I would imagine the lodging tax. There are no dues or fees to belong. I have my rack cards there. The rarely send me a referral and when they do, they give them my phone number & never give the website. doh! They just launched an online forum which you have to be invited to join. They put all the tourism meetings on there but don't explain which ones you're invited to. huh? Still waiting after 6 months to have my link on their site. I have them linked to my site.

Back