What is your guests' favorite question to ask once they are in the door?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night, the same at check in. I am giving the 50cent tour and they ask "How long have you been running this?"
Question for the forum: What is the fascination with HOW LONG? Just wondering what your thoughts are? Are they worried if I am a newbie I will burn their coffee?
I remember hearing the echoed reply the first two years "Oh! Then you are only new at this!" and I think to myself, yeah 500 breakfasts later...I am only new...I will get the hang soon tho!.
Yes... how long? How long have you lived here? How long have you been doing this? (It's fun when I say that room opened last Tuesday.) Then they ask... did you go to school to learn how to do this? I say, yes, there's a wonderful school online!
Thanks again to all of you for all the things I've learned that made my opening(s) so smooth and my guests so at ease from day one!
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Yes... how long? How long have you lived here? How long have you been doing this? (It's fun when I say that room opened last Tuesday.) Then they ask... did you go to school to learn how to do this? I say, yes, there's a wonderful school online!
Thanks again to all of you for all the things I've learned that made my opening(s) so smooth and my guests so at ease from day one!
=)
Kk.
Could you share what some of the best things you learn?
Gosh, too much to list!
But I'll think about it and start a new thread...
=)
Kk.

Last night, the same at check in. I am giving the 50cent tour and they ask "How long have you been running this?"
Question for the forum: What is the fascination with HOW LONG? Just wondering what your thoughts are? Are they worried if I am a newbie I will burn their coffee?
I remember hearing the echoed reply the first two years "Oh! Then you are only new at this!" and I think to myself, yeah 500 breakfasts later...I am only new...I will get the hang soon tho!.
I agree with Catlady. It is just a nervous / icebreaker kind of question. People ask similar questions here, and I have to say I ask similar questions when I stay at a B&B. It's a more targetted question than "What's your favorite color?" They are just trying to show interest in you and your place. It's your home, you are comfortable there, for them not so much...takes them time. Just be glad they ask that question as opposed to some other nervous behavior like biting their nails and spitting them on your rug. ;)

We renovated from top to bottom and have a book in our outdoor living room with before and after pictures. After we get the how long have you been doing this and do you live here as well questions, this book has also brought can we have a tour of your house and see your kitchen. Well, you can see the kitchen, but the personal part of the house, umm no.
They usually ask to see the kitchen though during breakfast. I always wonder why they don't ask in the evening when a fresh loaf of bread has come out of the oven and the kitchen is tidy.

Back