What is your guests' favorite question to ask once they are in the door?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
same sentence:
"How long you been doin this?"
or
"Do you live here?"
or
"Oh thanks, we were about to ask where we should go for dinner" as I hand them a discount card from our favorite restaurant 3 doors up.
or
"Is this the only way in here?" (Me thinking in reply, What? The front door? What other way would you like to come in, climb a ladder to the roof? or from the helopad on the roof?)

As they are going out to dinner/movie etc, "What time do we have to be in?"
Answer: "You look like adults, we do not have curfew. We lock up when the last of our "chickies" is in."

would this be the same as questions i DREAD?
Dreaded Question 1. 'do you have another room?'
my rooms on the third floor 1. are small with one slanted wall and ceiling in the room; 2. have double beds; 3. share a bathroom; 4. are a steal - offering amazing views of the harbor plus all the amenities other guests get and the best breakfast i can muster; 5. they are priced low because of #1, 2 and 3 (also see part 6 and 7)
6. did i mention they are on the third floor?
7. you have to climb two flights of stairs to get up there - we do not have a dumb waiter or service elevator -
Dreaded Quetion 2 'why isn't the @#! restaurant open?
'nuff said
Not so Dreaded Question 1. 'is it always foggy here?'
Not so Dreaded Question 2 followed by most oft repeated joke. (see Dreaded Question 1, part 7)
'don't you have a dumb waiter? haha, just a dumb innkeeper, right? just kidding yukyukyuk'
me: ' haha, that's a good one '

my rooms on the third floor 1. are small with one slanted wall and ceiling in the room; 2. have double beds; 3. share a bathroom; 4. are a steal - offering amazing views of the harbor plus all the amenities other guests get and the best breakfast i can muster; 5. they are priced low because of #1, 2 and 3 (also see part 6 and 7)
7. you have to climb two flights of stairs to get up there - we do not have a dumb waiter or service elevator -
'nuff said
Not so Dreaded Question 2 followed by most oft repeated joke. (see Dreaded Question 1, part 7)
'don't you have a dumb waiter? haha, just a dumb innkeeper, right? just kidding yukyukyuk'
me: ' haha, that's a good one '.
seashanty said:
THAT would get old pretty quickly!
Given the number of guests I get who pretty much pass out coming up the stairs from the parking area and then have to reat to get to their rooms on the second floor, I wonder how my friends manage to get guests up to the third floor rooms without complaint. Maybe it's not without complaint!
I thought about finishing the attic off and putting a really nice room up there. Not sure if it would ever rent!

'nuff said
seashanty said:
Given the number of guests I get who pretty much pass out coming up the stairs from the parking area and then have to reat to get to their rooms on the second floor, I wonder how my friends manage to get guests up to the third floor rooms without complaint. Maybe it's not without complaint!
I thought about finishing the attic off and putting a really nice room up there. Not sure if it would ever rent!
Oh, it would rent. You'd get more complaints, but it would rent!
My third floor room rents surprisingly often... and I'm going to market it so it does even more... very private, fun and funky, retreat from the world, most quiet, individual heat control (i.e., the heat and cool don't get up there so they have baseboard heat and window AC). People who tour love the room.
=)
Kk.

'nuff said
seashanty said:
My third floor room rents surprisingly often... and I'm going to market it so it does even more... very private, fun and funky, retreat from the world, most quiet, individual heat control (i.e., the heat and cool don't get up there so they have baseboard heat and window AC). People who tour love the room.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
I guess I'm at the point where I am trying to reduce the complaints. I'm pretty darn tired of them. Like the 20 questions...didn't want the room with the shared bath. I don't have any rooms with shared baths. If I had a room on the third floor (like SS does) I'd get the same thing. Beautiful room, everyone loves it, I have to walk up all those stairs??? I didn't know there were stairs to the third floor. I've had to add 'there are stairs to EVERY room' on the website. The pix I have of the house all show that it is not a single level rancher. The floor plan shows stairs, no elevator. It says there are stairs.
I'm tired of perfectly healthy people looking at stairs like I put them there just to annoy them. Old people, different story. But they are usually the ones who don't want help and run up and down the stairs, happy they still can.

'nuff said
seashanty said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
I guess I'm at the point where I am trying to reduce the complaints. I'm pretty darn tired of them. Like the 20 questions...didn't want the room with the shared bath. I don't have any rooms with shared baths. If I had a room on the third floor (like SS does) I'd get the same thing. Beautiful room, everyone loves it, I have to walk up all those stairs??? I didn't know there were stairs to the third floor. I've had to add 'there are stairs to EVERY room' on the website. The pix I have of the house all show that it is not a single level rancher. The floor plan shows stairs, no elevator. It says there are stairs.
I'm tired of perfectly healthy people looking at stairs like I put them there just to annoy them. Old people, different story. But they are usually the ones who don't want help and run up and down the stairs, happy they still can.
happy they still can
good one!
yes, older folks maybe who grew up in houses and lived in houses with lots of stairs - they just trudge up for the most part, don't even accept help with their bags.

'nuff said
seashanty said:
Market it as your "fitness" room, then they can't complain!

Last night, the same at check in. I am giving the 50cent tour and they ask "How long have you been running this?"
Question for the forum: What is the fascination with HOW LONG? Just wondering what your thoughts are? Are they worried if I am a newbie I will burn their coffee?
I remember hearing the echoed reply the first two years "Oh! Then you are only new at this!" and I think to myself, yeah 500 breakfasts later...I am only new...I will get the hang soon tho!

Last night, the same at check in. I am giving the 50cent tour and they ask "How long have you been running this?"
Question for the forum: What is the fascination with HOW LONG? Just wondering what your thoughts are? Are they worried if I am a newbie I will burn their coffee?
I remember hearing the echoed reply the first two years "Oh! Then you are only new at this!" and I think to myself, yeah 500 breakfasts later...I am only new...I will get the hang soon tho!.
Yes... how long? How long have you lived here? How long have you been doing this? (It's fun when I say that room opened last Tuesday.) Then they ask... did you go to school to learn how to do this? I say, yes, there's a wonderful school online!
Thanks again to all of you for all the things I've learned that made my opening(s) so smooth and my guests so at ease from day one!
=)
Kk.

I remember hearing the echoed reply the first two years "Oh! Then you are only new at this!" and I think to myself, yeah 500 breakfasts later...I am only new...I will get the hang soon tho!.
I just think people ask these kinds of questions because they have to have something to say/ask...if you are in a stranger's home..what else can you ask at least right at first introductions. It is an "ice breaker"

Yes... how long? How long have you lived here? How long have you been doing this? (It's fun when I say that room opened last Tuesday.) Then they ask... did you go to school to learn how to do this? I say, yes, there's a wonderful school online!
Thanks again to all of you for all the things I've learned that made my opening(s) so smooth and my guests so at ease from day one!
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Could you share what some of the best things you learn?

=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
(It's fun when I say that room opened last Tuesday.)
=)
Kk.
We had fun with that our first week, we'd look at our watches and say, 'About 12 hours now.' I don't suggest that one unless you have a good sense of humor (or your guests do), too many of them were horrified. (And then too many of them had 'wonderful suggestions to make this place better.')

Again, guests checkin today:
"So how long ya been doin this?"
See, it is 97% of guests who ask that. I know it was mentioned that this is something to break the ice, but I am usually chatting giving info on the tour etc when they interrupt with this question.

See, it is 97% of guests who ask that. I know it was mentioned that this is something to break the ice, but I am usually chatting giving info on the tour etc when they interrupt with this question..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
See, it is 97% of guests who ask that. I know it was mentioned that this is something to break the ice, but I am usually chatting giving info on the tour etc when they interrupt with this question.
You could try, 'It SEEMS like forever.'

Oh no, it has to be fresh and fun. LOL!
By the time someone rolls in on a Sunday night, I am nothing but a barrel of laughs.
tounge_smile.gif

Oh no, it has to be fresh and fun. LOL!
By the time someone rolls in on a Sunday night, I am nothing but a barrel of laughs.
tounge_smile.gif
OK, then try looking at the clock and saying, '14 hours. Oh, you didn't mean just today, did you?'

Back