What kind of coffee filter do you use in your coffee maker?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
We bought a larger capacity coffeemaker recently and have been using standard paper filters for over a month without incidents. However, recently the pot brews about halfway then the water just stays in the filter without passing through. The pot came with a gold screen strainer, so we're going to see if that works any better.
Has anyone ever had this problem? How did you resolve it?

Coffee not ground properly? Do you add anything to the coffee (any sort of flavoring)? Have you tried running the water thru without coffee, just the filter? Without anything, just water? (put the basket in, tho, or the water goes everywhere)

use the mesh one. it's probably specially shaped for your coffee maker especially at the base where the brewed coffee exits the filter. the mesh ones just rinse out .... very 'green'.

We use the gold reusable ones. It shouldn't make a difference though. Are you sure that the caraffe is sitting properly in the base? If it's lining up right, it could stop the flow.

Percolated, no filters used..
Joey Bloggs said:
Percolated, no filters used.
You serve percolated coffee? I have a percolar but never use it. I use a Bunn pour over drip coffee maker. I'm curious how the guests like percolated coffee.
Nandor said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Percolated, no filters used.
You serve percolated coffee? I have a percolar but never use it. I use a Bunn pour over drip coffee maker. I'm curious how the guests like percolated coffee.
Love it.
The coffee is good coffee too...have a look here online, I recommend this coffee to many innmates here = coffeebeandirect.com you can view the scales on roast, acidity, body etc. CLICK HERE
So for the dark sumatra it doesn't have that bitter truck stop after taste in your throat of give you heart burn. :)

I use a percolator but i also use the paper filters - the grounds come out of the basket easier AND I get less grounds in the coffee pot. I used to have a Mr C type and if I ground mint leaves with the coffee beans I got disaster. I could do choc raspberry or hazelnut OK, but the ground up leaves clogged. All went well with the perc though. Mr C is history.

Thanks for the responses.
We're thinking now that it may be that the paper filters are too short and the water overflows when we do a full pot. Used the mesh this morning and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the responses.
We're thinking now that it may be that the paper filters are too short and the water overflows when we do a full pot. Used the mesh this morning and it worked perfectly..
And when you dump the grounds out of the mesh filter, they are easier to save for outdoor plant fertilizer :)

Back