What kind of juice do you serve?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
orange, apple and a cranberry blend of some kind
ps off the topic a little .... i don't drink juice in the morning ... rarely drink it at all. stayed at a b&b and declined the oj and the host said 'why didn't you say on allergies that you can't have oj?"
i didn't ask for a different juice, just declined it. so i told him that i prefer not to have juice ... it seemed he was so irritated with me. he made a face and rolled his eyes like i was a pita. (i won't stay there again)
where is it written that a guest must accept all that is offered if they politely decline and don't ask for a substitute?.
seashanty said:
ps off the topic a little .... i don't drink juice in the morning ... rarely drink it at all. stayed at a b&b and declined the oj and the host said 'why didn't you say on allergies that you can't have oj?"
i didn't ask for a different juice, just declined it. so i told him that i prefer not to have juice ... it seemed he was so irritated with me. he made a face and rolled his eyes like i was a pita. (i won't stay there again)
where is it written that a guest must accept all that is offered if they politely decline and don't ask for a substitute?
I hear ya! I have gotten that too seashanty. I will drink it or just some of it.
And what about us? What do we all drink when we are out and about?
The acid in Oj is why I don't drink it either, now. I am really wanting my coffee, and then I have iced water (and to take vitamins etc) so the juice kinda gets in the way, but it is another nice thing to offer with the meal.
I DO drink other juices other times of the day if I feel like it. Cranberry juice is so full of sugar that it is not that great a choice for me. When there is a blen of cran 100% juice it is always apple juice, and mostly from China, so I don't prefer that either.
So yes, the juice thing goes to a deeper level. We now serve OJ only (100% juice no added sugar and from FLA), for the most part. Whenever I have a selection people only pick OJ.
I want a huge glass of OJ at breakfast as I don't drink coffee or tea. I am the one who wants refills!
Alibi Ike said:
I want a huge glass of OJ at breakfast as I don't drink coffee or tea. I am the one who wants refills!
the pitcher is at your elbow!

where is it written that a guest must accept all that is offered if they politely decline and don't ask for a substitute?.
seashanty said:
where is it written that a guest must accept all that is offered if they politely decline and don't ask for a substitute?
I hear ya! I have gotten that too seashanty. I will drink it or just some of it.
The acid in Oj is why I don't drink it either, now. I am really wanting my coffee, and then I have iced water (and to take vitamins etc) so the juice kinda gets in the way, but it is another nice thing to offer with the meal.
I DO drink other juices other times of the day if I feel like it. Cranberry juice is so full of sugar that it is not that great a choice for me. When there is a blen of cran 100% juice it is always apple juice, and mostly from China, so I don't prefer that either.
So yes, the juice thing goes to a deeper level. We now serve OJ only (100% juice no added sugar and from FLA), for the most part. Whenever I have a selection people only pick OJ.
Alibi Ike said:
gillumhouse said:
Alibi Ike said:
It's hard to picture online but I wave my arms around when talking. Oops! The pitcher was at my elbow. ;(

seashanty said:
Alibi Ike said:
gillumhouse said:
Alibi Ike said:
It's hard to picture online but I wave my arms around when talking. Oops! The pitcher was at my elbow. ;(
That is why GOD made tablecloths and washing machines!, said one of the biggest Klutzes in the world.

We offer two juices: always orange (not from concentrate) and either cranberry or a cran-raspberry blend.
We don't offer it right off the bat, though. They get coffee/tea/water right away with their fruit course. Then as we're serving the plated main course we ask "Would you like juice with breakfast?" and let them know which kinds. We pour in the kitchen and bring it out to them and offer refills as glasses are emptied.
I've found that doing it this way lets us get on with finishing and plating the main. Plus, after the fruit course, a glass of juice is just too much for some people. Now when people accept the offer of juice, they drink it. Before when we offered it right away, we'd end up throwing out whole glasses of it.

We offer two juices: always orange (not from concentrate) and either cranberry or a cran-raspberry blend.
We don't offer it right off the bat, though. They get coffee/tea/water right away with their fruit course. Then as we're serving the plated main course we ask "Would you like juice with breakfast?" and let them know which kinds. We pour in the kitchen and bring it out to them and offer refills as glasses are emptied.
I've found that doing it this way lets us get on with finishing and plating the main. Plus, after the fruit course, a glass of juice is just too much for some people. Now when people accept the offer of juice, they drink it. Before when we offered it right away, we'd end up throwing out whole glasses of it..
I want my juice first - especially if it is OJ. If I drink OJ after having something else it make me shudder - like you do when tasting something sour......

I served not- from-concentrate OJ (with some pulp) and 100% cranberry and a different cranberry blend of some type depending on what I had bought on sale. We offered the juice options and poured by the glass. My dh also started offering the half OJ and half cran juice which was very popular. Sometimes I'd have apple juice available, especially in the Fall. So many people don't drink grapefruit juice because of meds, that I stopped buying it for guests.
I also had small OJ, cranberry, tomato, and V8 juices on hand for the early to-go breakfasts and could use the tomato & V8 for those rare requests at the table.
Personally, I prefer a small glass of OJ if I drink it because it's so high in sugars. Ice water is always appreciated.
I found that our guests enjoyed a variety of juices, but OJ was definitely the most popular.

I've found that doing it this way lets us get on with finishing and plating the main. Plus, after the fruit course, a glass of juice is just too much for some people. Now when people accept the offer of juice, they drink it. Before when we offered it right away, we'd end up throwing out whole glasses of it..
I have to change to your sequence. Or I have to put the jugs out and let them help themselves.
I'm going to guess that I am going to get a lot more 'is there juice' questions if I don't offer it right off. Almost everyone has a stack of pills they need to get down and coffee is not the choice for that.
(And, since when did taking pills at the table in a 'restaurant' become acceptable? They have BEFORE they eat and AFTER they eat to do this, why do I have to witness it? Because the label says 'take with meals' does not necessarily mean AS you are swallowing your eggs!)

We offer a choice of Orange Juice, Orange Juice, Orange Juice or Orange Juice. Sometimes we buy a mixed fruit juice that is based on Orange Juice and might have blood orange, so it's a deeper orange colour. Never from concentrate.

" and coffee is not the choice for that."
Coffee is always the choice, for that, whatever "that" may be.
cheers.gif

I have to change to your sequence. Or I have to put the jugs out and let them help themselves.
I'm going to guess that I am going to get a lot more 'is there juice' questions if I don't offer it right off. Almost everyone has a stack of pills they need to get down and coffee is not the choice for that.
(And, since when did taking pills at the table in a 'restaurant' become acceptable? They have BEFORE they eat and AFTER they eat to do this, why do I have to witness it? Because the label says 'take with meals' does not necessarily mean AS you are swallowing your eggs!)
Alibi Ike said:
You could try saying something along the lines of "I'll take your juice order when I bring your breakfast". That might work with some people, but won't work for everyone. Of course there are some people that nothing will work for. :)

I think it's just the ritual...if you don't lay them out and take them the same way every day you're more likely to forget. We are forever finding little pills on the dining room floor.

Interesting article. I've often wondered about nutritional value of the concentrate versus NFC versus fresh squeezed. The bottom line is for the health conscious we should just be eating an orange, as even the fresh squeezed is pretty much pure sugar with no fiber.
Yale Press.

Interesting article. I've often wondered about nutritional value of the concentrate versus NFC versus fresh squeezed. The bottom line is for the health conscious we should just be eating an orange, as even the fresh squeezed is pretty much pure sugar with no fiber.
Yale Press. .
Don Draper said:
Yale Press.
Obv anything in its pure from it 100 times better. I go on and on, and I am sorry. But it is like those casseroles, in the end with all the ingredients you could have a steak, salad and veg and not all the fat! Keep it fresh and simple. Simple is always better. (Now to live that way is another story, but we can try.)
Maybe we should all have a mass conversion to Sunny D and see what happens! haha (Innkeepers would then say "My guests have never complained, so they must prefer it) LOL

Yale Press. .
Don Draper said:
Yale Press.
Obv anything in its pure from it 100 times better. I go on and on, and I am sorry. But it is like those casseroles, in the end with all the ingredients you could have a steak, salad and veg and not all the fat! Keep it fresh and simple. Simple is always better. (Now to live that way is another story, but we can try.)
Maybe we should all have a mass conversion to Sunny D and see what happens! haha (Innkeepers would then say "My guests have never complained, so they must prefer it) LOL
Well, I was specifically interested in the concentrate versus NFC. I've heard people say that removing the water (ala concentrate) removes the nutrients. But the NFC kinds (unless they are the ultra premium ones with 5-7 day expiration dates) go through the same pasteurization process as the concentrate, and that is what is damaging to certain antioxidants. So it's not worth the extra $$ for the stuff in the cartons vs. the frozen cans. Unless it's a taste preference. I'm not a juice drinker so I couldn't say. Pass me the coffee!!
We also offer milk to drink here and I am always surprised how many people drink it, thought I was the only adult I know who loves the cow juice...

OJ and have apple in the freezer if someone cant or doesnt drink OJ, found early on that when we tried grape, apple and/or OJ-OJ won out so now its a caraf of OJ at the table...frozen..not the most expensive and Im not a juice drinker in the morning either...coffee? YES.

We have recently changed our juice game plan... For the past year, since we opened, I bought jugs of OJ(most popular), and smaller containers of 100% cranberry, apple, and V8. I would set out a chilled carafe of OJ then offer to pour other juices to bring to table as requested.
Our occupancy is somewhat sporadic however, resulting in a few too many times of opening a new jug or bottle of juice for a couple of glasses then not having guests for a week or two and having to pour out large quantities of juice (we do not drink juice ourselves at all).
So...a few months ago I switched to individual sizes of the cranberry, apple, and V8 which worked VERY well- a little more expensive to buy but FAR less waste. But still the problem with the OJ especially b/c I buy that in larger containers.
Last month, I picked up a case of individual Tropicana OJ's and have been setting up a small table near the coffee in the mornings with an assortment of the individual juices, glasses, an ice bucket, and I set a basket or tray (depending on number of guests) of whatever muffins I made there as well ....
Has been FANTASTIC so far (tho I KNOW someone will eventually complain
wink_smile.gif
!!) Guests get their coffee, juice, and a muffin if they like, then wait much more patiently and contentedly for the actual breakfast to arrive at their table ... I've noticed more of the baked goods are consumed than before and the atmosphere at the tables seem more cheerful/less groggy than before. I've also noticed that quite a few people either water-down their juice or create their own blends of juice AND that the glasses are coming to the kitchen EMPTY rather than partially finished...

We offer: Orange, Apple, Cranberry, Crango (Orange and Cranberry mixed - very popular) and Clamato Juice. I find our guests much prefer it to Tomato or V8.
Cheers

Orange from concentrate (Costco brand) is the only juice we serve. We have experimented with other juices - no success. How we served changes depending on how busy or organized we are. Some day we just put it on the table, sometime we serve to our guests and than put it in the table.

We serve the "Simply" brand juices - Orange and Apple. They are the closest thing in taste to fresh squeezed that I've found. We usually have on hand pineapple, cranberry, and Clamato, too. We also keep a decent selection of tropical nectors onboard to add a dollop of this or that to the other juices for a change. And last, but not least...we serve champagne at breakfast, too.
wink_smile.gif

Milk isn't requested too often, but I always have lots of that onboard. I can drink a gallon all by myself in about 4 days. When we went to the Bahamas a couple of weeks ago, my biggest challenge was how to pack the refrigerator with 3 gallons of milk, plus food for 6 people for a week. Yeesh!!!! Milk in the Bahamas is around $8.00/gallon so I never want to be having to buy it there.

Back