What kind of juice do you serve?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
I started this off as a poll, but it doesn't work if you can't make multiple selections!
So, what kind of juice(s) do you serve? Does it vary by season or availability? Do you buy different juices if someone asks for something you don't have and they're staying awhile?
Do guests generally drink juice?

OJ, cranberry and some sort of cranberry blend (whatever's on sale)

We rotate between Orange Pineapple; Orange/Strawberry/Banana & Black Raspberry. We buy them in the concentrate form, non refrigerated, so we can store them for a long time in a little space.

The reason I ask (there's always a reason!) is recently I have been practically deluged with 'Where's the juice???' the minute the guest sets foot near the dining room. This wasn't even a slight problem a few months ago. Guests are opening the guest fridge thinking juice has magically appeared in there over night, they are doing the neck stretch to look behind the tea kettle, it's just weird.
That's why the poll on how you serve juice.
But the options people expect me to have are mind-boggling...
  • Apple
  • Grapefruit
  • OJ
  • Cranberry
  • Grape
  • Tomato
  • V-8 (and all the variations)
Rarely do I get a chance to tell guests what I do have. If they're not incessantly asking where's the juice, they're rambling on about what kind they want/don't want.

OJ.
Why serve anything else when you have one nighters...day in and day out. ugh

The reason I ask (there's always a reason!) is recently I have been practically deluged with 'Where's the juice???' the minute the guest sets foot near the dining room. This wasn't even a slight problem a few months ago. Guests are opening the guest fridge thinking juice has magically appeared in there over night, they are doing the neck stretch to look behind the tea kettle, it's just weird.
That's why the poll on how you serve juice.
But the options people expect me to have are mind-boggling...
  • Apple
  • Grapefruit
  • OJ
  • Cranberry
  • Grape
  • Tomato
  • V-8 (and all the variations)
Rarely do I get a chance to tell guests what I do have. If they're not incessantly asking where's the juice, they're rambling on about what kind they want/don't want..
OJ, cranberry and white grapefruit. Sometimes Apple.
Guests have occasionally asked about tomato, but it kinda grosses me out and especially if it's opened. If someone loves it and is staying awhile, that's another story.

We offer orange or cranberry - but we only have two rooms. We put it in a half carafe that they can pour themselves on the sideboard.
RIki

OJ only. If I have a multi night guest that can't drink citrus (some meds conflict) I would buy something else.
I would say 90-95% of my guests drink the OJ.
We do not offer anything else. We have table service only, so there is little to no poking around looking for something. Your set up with the coffee station may have something to do with the proding, they may think they get that on their own like they get the coffee. - just thinking aloud here.

I serve premium OJ and my non-citric juices are by R W Knudsen. I get a variety. DH likes the Very Veggie low sodium but it is not a guest favorite. They have quite a variety in price from $2.99 on sale to $5.99 for a quart. I usually get the 2.99 to 3.99 varieties. The Just _____ (cherry or cranberry or blueberry, etc) are the $5.99 but I think they are too strong. I like the blends or nectars best. They are all 100% juice.

OJ, in a 1/2 Liter carafe, one at each end of the table next to a 1 Liter carafe of ice water. We get the impatient people too, they sit down and as we go into the kitchen to bring their juice to them they've already walked to the other end of the table to steal their carafe. This, despite the fact that the water is sitting there at both ends, so logic would tell you another juice will be appearing shortly, but heaven forbid they wait.
It does get under our skin when this stuff happens...like, it's NOT our first day people, we do have a plan in place because we do this EVERY BLESSED MORNING. Sigh.

OJ, in a 1/2 Liter carafe, one at each end of the table next to a 1 Liter carafe of ice water. We get the impatient people too, they sit down and as we go into the kitchen to bring their juice to them they've already walked to the other end of the table to steal their carafe. This, despite the fact that the water is sitting there at both ends, so logic would tell you another juice will be appearing shortly, but heaven forbid they wait.
It does get under our skin when this stuff happens...like, it's NOT our first day people, we do have a plan in place because we do this EVERY BLESSED MORNING. Sigh..
Don Draper said:
It does get under our skin when this stuff happens...like, it's NOT our first day people, we do have a plan in place because we do this EVERY BLESSED MORNING. Sigh.
That's it right there...thank you for verbalizing what I was having trouble with! "This ain't my first rodeo!"

It does get under our skin when this stuff happens...like, it's NOT our first day people, we do have a plan in place because we do this EVERY BLESSED MORNING. Sigh..
Don Draper said:
That's it right there...thank you for verbalizing what I was having trouble with! "This ain't my first rodeo!"
Amen sister.

orange, apple and a cranberry blend of some kind
ps off the topic a little .... i don't drink juice in the morning ... rarely drink it at all. stayed at a b&b and declined the oj and the host said 'why didn't you say on allergies that you can't have oj?"
i didn't ask for a different juice, just declined it. so i told him that i prefer not to have juice ... it seemed he was so irritated with me. he made a face and rolled his eyes like i was a pita. (i won't stay there again)
where is it written that a guest must accept all that is offered if they politely decline and don't ask for a substitute?

Started out offering OJ and apple. Not much request for apple, so stayed with OJ only. Now, we serve simply orange mango or just simply orange if the store doesn't have the mango.

ps off the topic a little .... i don't drink juice in the morning ... rarely drink it at all. stayed at a b&b and declined the oj and the host said 'why didn't you say on allergies that you can't have oj?"
i didn't ask for a different juice, just declined it. so i told him that i prefer not to have juice ... it seemed he was so irritated with me. he made a face and rolled his eyes like i was a pita. (i won't stay there again)
where is it written that a guest must accept all that is offered if they politely decline and don't ask for a substitute?.
seashanty said:
where is it written that a guest must accept all that is offered if they politely decline and don't ask for a substitute?
I hear ya! I have gotten that too seashanty. I will drink it or just some of it.
And what about us? What do we all drink when we are out and about?
The acid in Oj is why I don't drink it either, now. I am really wanting my coffee, and then I have iced water (and to take vitamins etc) so the juice kinda gets in the way, but it is another nice thing to offer with the meal.
I DO drink other juices other times of the day if I feel like it. Cranberry juice is so full of sugar that it is not that great a choice for me. When there is a blen of cran 100% juice it is always apple juice, and mostly from China, so I don't prefer that either.
So yes, the juice thing goes to a deeper level. We now serve OJ only (100% juice no added sugar and from FLA), for the most part. Whenever I have a selection people only pick OJ.

We offer oj, and pour it at the table with as many refills as requested. It's not-from-concentrate. We do have on hand other juices - usually cranberry, grapefruit, apple, and grape which I buy in the small bottles so that we don't open a big one for a single guest. Lots of people don't drink oj any more - we offer water if it's refused. That's okay with us! The stuff's expensive.

We serve a driffrent juice every day Only one kind . I put it in a jug on the table. If they wish some it is up to them to pour there own. I also make my own some times. S ome times they May not like the juice or they donot drink the juice ..but I have never been asked do you have another kind of juice.
Yes we explain how breakfast works every time as part of the welcome to our home. AT that point i ask for the third time is there any thing you have in the way of food allergys or foods you do not like. I HOPE THEY WILL REMEMBER IF there was any other food concern they thought of.??? Then we say breakfast is served at x and x . What time would you like?

where is it written that a guest must accept all that is offered if they politely decline and don't ask for a substitute?.
seashanty said:
I hear ya! I have gotten that too seashanty. I will drink it or just some of it.
And what about us? What do we all drink when we are out and about?
The acid in Oj is why I don't drink it either, now. I am really wanting my coffee, and then I have iced water (and to take vitamins etc) so the juice kinda gets in the way, but it is another nice thing to offer with the meal.
I DO drink other juices other times of the day if I feel like it. Cranberry juice is so full of sugar that it is not that great a choice for me. When there is a blen of cran 100% juice it is always apple juice, and mostly from China, so I don't prefer that either.
So yes, the juice thing goes to a deeper level. We now serve OJ only (100% juice no added sugar and from FLA), for the most part. Whenever I have a selection people only pick OJ.
I want a huge glass of OJ at breakfast as I don't drink coffee or tea. I am the one who wants refills!

Back